News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Waller getting divorced

Started by madbadger, April 23, 2024, 07:01:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbadger

According to ESPN Waller is divorcing Kelsey Plum, his wife of one year. Normally I don't care about players personal lives but this could directly impact if he plays this year or not.

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/40009974/wnba-star-kelsey-plum-giants-darren-waller-file-divorce

spiderblue43

Wow..that Aces marriage busted quickly.  He probably wants to unretire..or maybe play..or whatever. :what:

madbadger

Quote from: spiderblue43 on April 23, 2024, 07:16:39 PMWow..that Aces marriage busted quickly.  He probably wants to unretire..or maybe play..or whatever. :what:

My thoughts were that he was contemplating retirement to save his marriage but now that it is over perhaps retirement has lost its appeal.

DaveBrown74

I'm sorry for his personal struggles and I wish him and his family only the best on this front, but I feel it would be much easier for our team if he just moved on. Hence that is what I hope happens.

nicky1000

Or, he is abusing drugs again.

Or, he was distracted last season cause his marriage was not Aces

Or, he lost the motivation she fell
in love with.

Or, who really knows except he underperfomed expectations?

kingm56

Quote from: nicky1000 on April 24, 2024, 12:06:49 AMOr, he is abusing drugs again.

Or, he was distracted last season cause his marriage was not Aces

Or, he lost the motivation she fell
in love with.

Or, who really knows except he underperfomed expectations?

I'd argue his performance met expectations.  Waller was 3 years removed from his last notable season, and was extremely unlikely at 31 years old to duplicate his limited (only 2 of 9 seasons) success.  I failed to grasp Giant fans' rationale for predicting anything more than what Waller produced.     If he comes back next season, I'd anticipate similar production +/- 10%;.

TONKA56

Quote from: kingm56 on April 24, 2024, 05:49:42 AMI'd argue his performance met expectations.  Waller was 3 years removed from his last notable season, and was extremely unlikely at 31 years old to duplicate his limited (only 2 of 9 seasons) success.  I failed to grasp Giant fans' rationale for predicting anything more than what Waller produced.     If he comes back next season, I'd anticipate similar production +/- 10%;.

Totally agree. Getting hurt is what the guy does and having players get injured is what the Giants do.

President Rick

not easy having a coast to coast relationship
Author of: Potomac, Knightime, Conspiracy of Terror, Rogue State, The Neutrality Imperative, Joey Jupiter - Super Sleuth [childrens books], Vigilance and Virtue, Peaceful Warrior, more.

MightyGiants

Quote from: President Rick on April 24, 2024, 08:17:31 AMnot easy having a coast to coast relationship

Especially for newlyweds who thought they were going to be working in the same city.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

AZGiantFan

It may be harsh to say it but I'd like it even less to have a guy whose motivation may be to make up financially what he's losing in the divorce and who is likely to be distracted by the emotional side of going through a divorce than I did about having a guy who just couldn't make up his mind for unspecified reasons.  Now that we know the reason I want them to cut him even more.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Ed Vette

I thought that the reason he may have held out was because of the pressure of the marriage failing. Since the marriage is over, it opens up the window of his career. That's how I read it.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

kartanoman

Going through divorce SUCKS, plain and simple. If you've never been through it, count your blessings. Also, never be quick to judge anyone going through a divorce because an outsider, unless the couple shares intimate details, just doesn't have the knowledge from both sides and, at that, still isn't in position to judge anyway.

The kid is in a tough situation right now and I hope he has someone older he can turn to for a sounding board as well as advice going forward (NOTE: doesn't necessarily have to be associated with the Giants). If his head isn't in the game, then the answer is easy as far as the Giants are concerned. But there's more to life than football and I hope he will land on his feet and be able to move on, regardless how it plays out for him.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)