News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

A crazy draft question

Started by nicky1000, November 14, 2023, 11:08:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nicky1000

Let's ignore the Giants current draft pick and just assume it's No. 1 overall. How much draft capital would it cost (I don't look at the point system, I am asking you folks) for Giants to trade for No. 2 overall pick? 2 future number 1s and and a 2nd?

We need the capital and it would
never happen but imagine getting the QB and Harrison Jr in the same draft?

MagicRat

I think that's what you'd call mortgaging the farm.
Smell my cheese you mother!

nicky1000

Quote from: MagicRat on November 14, 2023, 11:44:57 PMI think that's what you'd call mortgaging the farm.

Yes and no. It's really just a trade for a number one, you're just getting next year's pick now.

Curious what you'd think it would take to even do that.

Gmo11

Too much to realistically consider. Especially since that team would either need a QB so they'd take QB2 this year who's likely to have an excellent grade or if they don't need a QB a team that does would he offering a top five pick and more which the Giants wouldn't be able to offer in that scenario.

My guess is the price would start at both 2nd rounders this year and the next two 1st round picks. But probably ends up even higher. The Giants aren't good enough to give up all those picks.

Jclayton92

I would take 2 Qbs before I took a Qb and a Wr. Look I don't know how many times it's been said but you either have an elite guy or you don't. So If we have 2 top 2 picks in a top 3 Qb draft in the past 25 years I'm taking 2 Qbs, letting the best one win the job and then trading the other after camp to recoup the capital.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Jclayton92 on November 15, 2023, 07:55:37 AMI would take 2 Qbs before I took a Qb and a Wr. Look I don't know how many times it's been said but you either have an elite guy or you don't. So If we have 2 top 2 picks in a top 3 Qb draft in the past 25 years I'm taking 2 Qbs, letting the best one win the job and then trading the other after camp to recoup the capital.

Agreed. 100%. In most realistic scenarios, only one of the two QBs will be elite in the pros. And god forbid you draft two elite QBs you're in an incredible position as a franchise with the leverage you'd have.

Ed Vette

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 15, 2023, 08:09:10 AMAgreed. 100%. In most realistic scenarios, only one of the two QBs will be elite in the pros. And god forbid you draft two elite QBs you're in an incredible position as a franchise with the leverage you'd have.

I can't believe you both would do that. The Giants would have a QB controversy for three years. One might bust so that's a wasted pick and burning two more firsts and a second.

The trade up is an interesting scenario and the trade partner would have to be a team not needing a QB and at the beginning stages of a rebuild. Could be AZ.

So what would be better for the Giants? Trade up for Maye and MHJ or trade down and get two Oline an edge and maybe a Daniels falls in your lap?
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

T200

Quote from: Jclayton92 on November 15, 2023, 07:55:37 AMI would take 2 Qbs before I took a Qb and a Wr. Look I don't know how many times it's been said but you either have an elite guy or you don't. So If we have 2 top 2 picks in a top 3 Qb draft in the past 25 years I'm taking 2 Qbs, letting the best one win the job and then trading the other after camp to recoup the capital.
Interesting proposition at first. But you can't play them both. One will get more reps and experience than the other. They will develop at different rates. The offensive chemistry will be different with each of them.

If you don't trust the GM and HC to pick one right QB, how can you trust them twice?
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Jclayton92

Quote from: Ed Vette on November 15, 2023, 08:26:28 AMI can't believe you both would do that. The Giants would have a QB controversy for three years. One might bust so that's a wasted pick and burning two more firsts and a second.

The trade up is an interesting scenario and the trade partner would have to be a team not needing a QB and at the beginning stages of a rebuild. Could be AZ.

So what would be better for the Giants? Trade up for Maye and MHJ or trade down and get two Oline an edge and maybe a Daniels falls in your lap?
Say the Giants get the number 1 overall pick with the bears #2, Patriots #3, and the Cardinals #4. The only one likely going Qb are the patriots and if they are sold on Williams and I know Arizona desperately needs A legit Wr as does the Bears. I'm calling Arizona and telling them they can move up to 1 for Harrison for their #4 and #20 pick. My ideal draft with those picks.

#4 I am taking Maye or Mccarthy
#20 I am taking one of Laiatu Latu or Chop Robinson to replace Ojulari
1st 2nd rd pick I am taking Taliese Fuaga RT Oregon st
2nd 2nd rd pick Blake Corum or Tre Benson at RB
3rd rd Tre Harris Wr Ole Miss to complete the Trifecta at Wr.

Jclayton92

Quote from: T200 on November 15, 2023, 09:05:56 AMInteresting proposition at first. But you can't play them both. One will get more reps and experience than the other. They will develop at different rates. The offensive chemistry will be different with each of them.

If you don't trust the GM and HC to pick one right QB, how can you trust them twice?
I trust them, I was just saying in this hypothetical were we have #1 and #2 I'm taking both Qbs and having another team pay me a ransom post draft to get one of them.

T200

Quote from: Jclayton92 on November 15, 2023, 09:08:56 AMI trust them, I was just saying in this hypothetical were we have #1 and #2 I'm taking both Qbs and having another team pay me a ransom post draft to get one of them.
Dangerous game. It could come back to bite you. Only a handful of teams need QBs and they could certainly wait you out because you can only play one.

And if the one you keep turns out to be a bust, you're royally screwed.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Ed Vette

Quote from: Jclayton92 on November 15, 2023, 09:08:56 AMI trust them, I was just saying in this hypothetical were we have #1 and #2 I'm taking both Qbs and having another team pay me a ransom post draft to get one of them.
:hmm:
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Philosophers

If we loved another QB and traded back to get him and landed a haul of 1st - 3rd draft picks that would be huge.

Dgoodmantrublu

This team is in dire need a franchise QB. It would turn the entire trajectory of the team around. You don't pass that up. IN fact, you trade up to get that. Especially with how good the top of this QB class is. Put another way, would you not do the Eli trade again if you had the chance? I know I would.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Dgoodmantrublu on November 15, 2023, 09:14:25 PMThis team is in dire need a franchise QB. It would turn the entire trajectory of the team around. You don't pass that up. IN fact, you trade up to get that. Especially with how good the top of this QB class is. Put another way, would you not do the Eli trade again if you had the chance? I know I would.

Probably, just because I wouldn't want to change Giants history, but I think one could make a pretty good argument that Big Ben was the better QB, and he also one two SBs (and made it to a third).