News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Changes

Started by FL GMAN, January 09, 2024, 08:49:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FL GMAN

A lot of comments on the staff changes both positive and negative. I also see comments that Daboll is on the hot seat and that this is a bad look. My take is that if the man is on the clock he should go with his vision and judgement regardless of the noise. For years I have heard that Mara has screwed everything and that no one else can make a decision. I say go out or in on your own and this way you can succeed or fail on your own. This season was a disaster and changes were absolutely necessary to send the message that it was unacceptable. Other than maybe 5/6 players no one s/b safe. I say go for it and let the chips fall where they may.

MightyGiants

Wink resigned (after Daboll said he expects him back), which means that was Wink's decision rather than Daboll's.   

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

FL GMAN

Mighty he fired his top 2 assistants. I think he was telling him it's my way or the highway.

MightyGiants

Quote from: FL GMAN on January 09, 2024, 10:36:43 AMMighty he fired his top 2 assistants. I think he was telling him it's my way or the highway.

Here is my concern.  We assume the actions happened in the order we learned about them.  I am not sure that is a correct assumption.  It's possible Wink quit; THEN the Giants fired his right-hand man and his brother.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

AZGiantFan

Quote from: FL GMAN on January 09, 2024, 10:36:43 AMMighty he fired his top 2 assistants. I think he was telling him it's my way or the highway.

And as the Head Coach that is how it should be.  Was Daboll supposed to stay off of Wink's lawn?
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

T200

Quote from: AZGiantFan on January 09, 2024, 01:37:25 PMAnd as the Head Coach that is how it should be.  Was Daboll supposed to stay off of Wink's lawn?
I think there is some nuance that is unknown by us and we're just speculating. But those nuggets of how a situation was handled carry a lot of weight.

For example, Daboll brought Bobby Johnson from Buffalo and they are reportedly very good friends. As a position coach, Johnson reports to Kafka, the OC. In the management hierarchy, should Kafka have been the one to fire Johnson since Kafka is in charge of all things offense? Or, because of the relationship Daboll has with Johnson, was it more appropriate for Daboll to let his friend know that he was being fired?

On the flipside with Martindale, we don't know how the firing was handled with the Wilkins brothers. Was Wink consulted? Was his decision to keep them overrode by Daboll? Did Daboll do it without Wink's knowledge?

Daboll made tough decisions. I think it lets everyone in the building know that the buck stops with him with regards to coaching decisions. I don't know the ins and outs but from what is out in the public space, he's got my support. That could change once more info comes out.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

londonblue

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 09, 2024, 10:41:18 AMHere is my concern.  We assume the actions happened in the order we learned about them.  I am not sure that is a correct assumption.  It's possible Wink quit; THEN the Giants fired his right-hand man and his brother.

Wink still has not actually quit so I think the better assumption is Daboll knew he was firing Wink's most trusted lieutenant whilst saying totally disingenuously that he expected him back.

Wink's 24hrs play sheet clearly shows he thought the end was nigh and was working to that end.

For me neither has recently been thinking or acting team first, it has all been 'me' as they have clearly each tried to use the media to score points and spin sentiment.

Call me old-school or British stick-in-the-mud but I think it is no way for adult professionals to behave. No organisation can thrive with thin-skinned, ego-focused man-children in charge.

For me I have lost a lot of respect for both of them. Obviously my opinion does not matter a damn but it worries me that some in the locker room might see it the same way.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.