News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Interesting wrinkle in the Wink saga

Started by MightyGiants, January 09, 2024, 11:45:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

uconnjack8

Quote from: T200 on January 10, 2024, 11:50:33 AMI think he meant "fire". Still doesn't justify Wink's unprofessional, disrespectful, and immature behavior.

That article is recounting a timeline of about 24 hours.  We have no idea what conversations Daboll had with Wink regarding these to coaches prior to that.  If they were looking to fire them, I would be willing to be a lot of money that their performance and/or other issues were discussed during the season.  WE don't know that I am correct, but I don't think we should assume that it came out of the blue and Wink had no idea that these guys were in the crosshairs.

uconnjack8

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 10, 2024, 11:54:54 AMNormally, after the season, teams have meetings about who to keep and who to let go, starting with the coaching staff.

Normally, the HC (often with consultation with the GM) decides which coordinators stay and which go.  Then, the HC would have meetings with the coordinator to decide which position coaches to keep and which to let go (the coordinator, as the immediate supervisor, has the most knowledge about the position coaches).

To fire a defensive assistant without consulting with Wink is unusual and disrespectful to Wink's position (just as an HC position requires respect, so do coordinators).   This is especially true when it comes to the defensive side of the ball which Daboll has limited experience with and likely spent less time with.

I answered Tim on this and the long and short of my answer is that we don't know that he wasn't consulted prior to this timeline detailed in Schwartz's article. 

MightyGiants

Quote from: uconnjack8 on January 10, 2024, 11:55:40 AMThat article is recounting a timeline of about 24 hours.  We have no idea what conversations Daboll had with Wink regarding these to coaches prior to that.  If they were looking to fire them, I would be willing to be a lot of money that their performance and/or other issues were discussed during the season.  WE don't know that I am correct, but I don't think we should assume that it came out of the blue and Wink had no idea that these guys were in the crosshairs.

We can't ignore the Giants' "leak," accusing Wink and the Wilkson brothers of trying to create a fiefdom.  The Giants' own "leak" pretty much confirms the firing was over more than just performance.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

uconnjack8

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 10, 2024, 11:59:01 AMWe can't ignore the Giants' "leak," accusing Wink and the Wilkson brothers of trying to create a fiefdom.  The Giants' own "leak" pretty much confirms the firing was over more than just performance.

And Daboll confronted that which means Wink knew Daboll was unhappy with the situation, hence why I said "and/or other issues".

Edit:  just wanted to add, that Daboll knew Wink wasn't going to agree to firing them and it is Dabolls decision in the end. 

I think it's a huge assumption to say Daboll never made Wink aware of his displeasure with those two.  Part of the article states Daboll walked into a meeting and asked if anyone had a problem with him. 

The whole thing reaks of Wink and these two brothers undermining the HC.

FL GMAN

Insubordination is performance. How one conducts themselves, especially in stressful situations, tells you a lot about a person. All of your comments seem to say Daboll must do something, I feel the opposite. If wink truly believed this was his destination job maybe he should have done something. Other than cursing your boss and walking out.

BluesCruz

Daboll was being a digg, and knew it

He tried to be cute about how he planned to get rid of Wink

I dont think he realized his ham handed approach would be broadcast so completely

I've totally lost respect for the little Bill Belichick Wannnabee
Like Joe Judge he will wind up back in New England likely

Mara should tell Schone to clear the deck completely and find a HC
Vrable is now available and would be a perfect fit for the Giants

I know I know another Belichick guy but was more a player than coach there
I've always admired Vrable
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

MightyGiants

Quote from: uconnjack8 on January 10, 2024, 08:11:13 AMRich,

After reading all of this I can't help but think some of this type of stuff is at least partially why Wink was pushed out in Baltimore.

I posted (on this thread or the similar one) an article that provided details of Wink's departure from Baltimore
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

AZGiantFan

Quote from: T200 on January 10, 2024, 10:40:54 AMThat's called enabling bad behavior. Don't feed tantrums. Let them fizzle out. Mature heads will prevail.

I can't help thinking that ultimately the root cause is Wink's bitterness at never landing a head coach gig and resenting the fact that Daboll was the head coach when he felt he was more deserving.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

AZGiantFan

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 10, 2024, 10:52:47 AMFinally, jobs are jobs, and people are people.  I have managed in a regular environment, a union environment, and in volunteer environments.  So, I have experience in a wide variety of management environments.

None of which is in a highly competitive professional sports environment. I think that is a whole different animal.

Not slowing my roll

MightyGiants

Quote from: AZGiantFan on January 10, 2024, 02:35:27 PMNone of which is in a highly competitive professional sports environment. I think that is a whole different animal.

In fairness, Mike Lombardi has considerable NFL management experience, and his views align very closely with my own.  So perhaps managing in hospitals and emergency medical services where people's lives are on the line is not that removed from the "highly competitive professional sports" environment.   
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

Quote from: AZGiantFan on January 10, 2024, 02:32:56 PMI can't help thinking that ultimately the root cause is Wink's bitterness at never landing a head coach gig and resenting the fact that Daboll was the head coach when he felt he was more deserving.
I wouldn't disagree that it could certainly have been a factor. His arrogance and ego, when not checked or supervised properly, can take over at any time. And it did here. To your point, I do believe there is more than a hint of "Who is this young punk to call out my defense when his offense is putrid???"
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

AZGiantFan

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 10, 2024, 10:34:02 AMTim,

Here's the catch, if Wink is as bad as you say he is, the Giants should be wanting him to go to Eagles and disrupt things.

The whole "the Giants are afraid he will go to the Eagles or Cowboys" narrative sounds more like something that would be coming from the Wink camp than the Giants.

Not slowing my roll

MightyGiants

Quote from: AZGiantFan on January 10, 2024, 03:33:46 PMThe whole "the Giants are afraid he will go to the Eagles or Cowboys" narrative sounds more like something that would be coming from the Wink camp than the Giants.

Why was Daboll singing Wink's praises, saying how great a coach he is, and wanting to keep him just a few hours earlier?   I can't help but feel the whole "Wink isn't a good DC" narrative was a construct to help people feel better about his departure.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 10, 2024, 03:35:45 PMWhy was Daboll singing Wink's praises, saying how great a coach he is, and wanting to keep him just a few hours earlier?   I can't help but feel the whole "Wink isn't a good DC" narrative was a construct to help people feel better about his departure.
Daboll singing Wink's praises and fans saying Wink isn't a good DC (which I don't recall seeing) are two separate things and are not connected.

Plenty of us have gone on record as to why we're glad Wink is gone. None of the reasons are what you just posted.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

MightyGiants

Quote from: T200 on January 10, 2024, 03:41:14 PMDaboll singing Wink's praises and fans saying Wink isn't a good DC (which I don't recall seeing) are two separate things and are not connected.

Plenty of us have gone on record as to why we're glad Wink is gone. None of the reasons are what you just posted.

Daboll did more than sing his praises; he went on record saying he wanted and planned on keeping Wink.  To me, that constitutes an action, which speaks louder than words.  Plus, how many of those saying they are happy Wink is gone (now) were saying that before Monday?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE