News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Is it just me? I wouldn't be mad if we don't draft a QB this year

Started by brownelvis54, April 03, 2024, 02:55:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brownelvis54

Honestly, as the draft gets closer, a part of me thinks we shouldn't draft a QB this year. Unless one fall to us we really wanted, it makes sense to build the team from the ground up. I would be ok trading back to get picks, but don't want to lose out on a WR or even a blue chip at any position. Throwing a rookie QB behind this line with no weapons makes zero sense to me.

The KING is in the building

AZGiantFan

Quote from: brownelvis54 on April 03, 2024, 02:55:17 PMHonestly, as the draft gets closer, a part of me thinks we shouldn't draft a QB this year. Unless one fall to us we really wanted, it makes sense to build the team from the ground up. I would be ok trading back to get picks, but don't want to lose out on a WR or even a blue chip at any position. Throwing a rookie QB behind this line with no weapons makes zero sense to me.

Maybe a football team should be built from the bottom up and the middle out, not the top down.  To coin a phrase.  ;)
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

londonblue

If they really love a top guy then I will get behind them doing what they have to do to get them given how important QB is in NFL. If they do not (or simply cannot get it done) I see no point in taking one just to be seen to be doing something.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

katkavage

Quote from: londonblue on April 03, 2024, 04:42:39 PMIf they really love a top guy then I will get behind them doing what they have to do to get them given how important QB is in NFL. If they do not (or simply cannot get it done) I see no point in taking one just to be seen to be doing something.
They are doing their homework. If they really like one of the four or five top ones,take him. They might not get a chance at a young QB for awhile. I believe in building foundations. Wide receivers come just before running backs in terms of team building. They don't win games for you. But QBs with receivers do. And it's easier to find receivers than QBs. The Giants right now, at best, have maybe the 20th ranked QB when he is healthy. They have a solid backup that will keep you competitive. But that's it. They have to be better at that position.

DaveBrown74

As badly as we need a new QB on this team, I won't automatically be "mad" if we don't draft one. I will take that to mean that one that we covet was simply not available or realistically obtainable. I definitely don't want to draft a QB sixth overall or, worse, in a trade-up, that we don't feel a high degree of conviction about. I'm also not interested in using the 6th overall pick in the draft to take a QB who projects out to being another Andy Dalton or Ryan Tanneyhill type. That's what the middle rounds are for.

If the Giants really like a QB prospect and view him as a franchise player, and there is a way to get him, I would move mountains to make it happen if it were my decision. But I have no interest in the team forcing a QB pick just because we need one. I think that would be a big mistake.

Rosehill Jimmy

My bet is a lot more folks will be mad if the Jints do take a QB and he's not the one they wanted 😀
"It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"

katkavage

Quote from: Rosehill Jimmy on April 03, 2024, 05:08:12 PMMy bet is a lot more folks will be mad if the Jints do take a QB and he's not the one they wanted 😀
It has to be the one the Giants want. That's it

Gmo11

I would be pretty disappointed if they didn't get one in the first 2 rounds.  As much as Penix/Nix/Maye are in a tier below the top of this draft, if they were coming out next year they might very well be  the big 3 of that one. 

And I expect the Giants will be good enough, at least on defense, to not be picking in the top 5 again next season.  Meaning if they don't get one right now they may not have a chance to get one for a while.  And I just can't with Jones any more.  So I really hope they do take one, even if it ends up being from the Penix/Nix/Rattler group in Round 2.

jgrangers2

I'm pretty simple when it comes to drafting QBs. You only do so if you need one and you think the guy you're taking can be a franchise QB. If there isn't one there that you think can be a franchise guy, don't waste your time.

brownelvis54

Just seems like a draft like this would benefit the team in the short term and long term regardless of who in under center. Roll with Jones, Luck and Cutlets and worry about a QB next year

6-Rome Odunze WR

47-Trey Benson RB

70-Ben Sinnott  TE

107-Mason McCormick  Guard

MightyGiants

The history of teams trading up to the top 5 to draft a QB is scary bad.

I am resigned to the reality that a QB may be in the cards for the Giants this draft.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

When there is a draft Class with several QBs that show promise and a team needs a QB, it's worth the chance if they believe in that kid. If one of the top four are there at six and the Giants don't draft a QB, they better have a good backup plan.

What was the consensus at the BBWC @brownelvis54 ?
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

uconnjack8

I wont be mad if they don't draft a QB.  I think 4 may be off the board when they pick at 6 and potentially another 2 gone before their 2nd round pick.

How many here will be happy if they draft McCarthy, Nix or Penix at 6?  There are a few McCarthy fans here but I think the majority would be against it.

Stringer Bell

Quote from: brownelvis54 on April 03, 2024, 05:54:59 PMJust seems like a draft like this would benefit the team in the short term and long term regardless of who in under center. Roll with Jones, Luck and Cutlets and worry about a QB next year

6-Rome Odunze WR

47-Trey Benson RB

70-Ben Sinnott  TE

107-Mason McCormick  Guard

Way too many holes on this team to waste 47 on a RB.

brownelvis54

Quote from: Stringer Bell on April 03, 2024, 07:15:07 PMWay too many holes on this team to waste 47 on a RB.

I can't argue with your statement, just looking for Barkleys replacement. I would be fine at 47 the best player available, cornerback, safety....anything. Like you said so many roster spots to fill. We need blue chip players, not injured or bargain basement players.