News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Great foot race if

Started by Alamo, March 27, 2024, 06:56:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alamo

The Giants pick Nabers 4.35/40 in the 1st rd,to go against Bryce Ford Weaton 4.38/40..Would pay to see that..The only  other race the Giants could have had was Homer Jones against a Dallas WR who was a sprint Olympic champion,but he would not race Jones..Trying to remember his name..Help me somebody old like me..

markdmd

uconnjack8

How about Slayton in that race?  4.39/40

Philosophers

kartanoman

Quote from: markdmd on March 27, 2024, 07:19:37 PMBob Hayes?

Roger Staubach told the story how he was going to race Bob Hayes and beat him. The first time they raced, Bob won. Second time, Bob won. Tenth time, Bob won. Then about the 30th time, Roger won.

There you go!

That's the kind of competitor Staubach was. Imagine if the Giants could have had him instead of Craig Morton. Buy a decade later, the Hiants were blessed with another Annapolis graduate and Naval officer, Phil McConkey, whose contributions and inspiration helped lead the Giants to their first Super Bowl Championship.

But back to the original question, both Jones and Hayes were Olympic-level sprinters in college, and once Jones beat Hayes in a 200 meter race. This would have been around 1963. But in 1967, the Pro Bowl organization attempted to get the two to race together in a 100 yard dash to determine the NFL's fastest player, with the winner taking a grand prize of $25,000 which was big money in those days. In the end, Jones withdrew from the race, at the request of Wellington Mara, who believed the race would not be in good taste with respect to the league (NOTE: remember this was just after the NFL-AFL cease-fire and the agreement to merger and have a Championship Game between the two leagues. Mara, owner of the flagship franchise of the NFL, was a steward of showing the NFL in its best light at all times). Jones, in withdrawing from the race, received a $5,000 bonus from the New York Football Giants.

There's your story!

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

Alamo

Great story Kartanoman..Always thought Hayes wouldn't run because he had more to lose then Jones..World's fastest human!!!

Philosophers

Quote from: Alamo on March 28, 2024, 06:35:56 PMGreat story Kartanoman..Always thought Hayes wouldn't run because he had more to lose then Jones..World's fastest human!!!

I was first singles on my men's high school tennis team.  I got challenged by the first singles of the women's high school tennis team.  I had the same problem.  I should destroy her but if I get nervous who knows what will happen.  She had nothing to lose.  I went out and played her nervous as crap.  Lost the first game, then won six straight to beat her 6-1.  Nothing to lose bets are scary.