News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Is Malik Nabers Qb Proof?

Started by Jclayton92, Today at 09:46:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74 and 21 Guests are viewing this topic.

Doc16LT56

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on Today at 05:02:36 PMOur O line was never good when OBJ was on the Giants. It has been varying degrees of bad since the 2012 season.
Good point. OBJ was lethal for 3+ years regardless of how poorly the OL played.

AZGiantFan

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on Today at 05:02:36 PMOur O line was never good when OBJ was on the Giants. It has been varying degrees of bad since the 2012 season.

Really?  In his first 3 years, which were his best 3 years, the Giants were 9th in fewest sacks, t4 in fewest sacks, and t3 in fewest sacks.  They've never come close to this proficiency in pass blocking in the post-Eli period, during which their league ranking in sacks allowed averaged 26th fewest.  Even in OBJ's 2 good years after his injury year the OL was middle of the road, 22nd and 19th - rankings that would mark a huge improvement if they were able to achieve that this year.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

AZGiantFan

Quote from: Doc16LT56 on Today at 06:35:47 PMGood point. OBJ was lethal for 3+ years regardless of how poorly the OL played.

See my post above.  The OL was nowhere poor in his 3 glory years.  League rankings of a top 10 and 2 top 5s in fewest sacks allowed.

I guess memories are something else that needs to get fact checked, besides the eye test.

Not slowing my roll

Jclayton92

Quote from: Philosophers on Today at 05:18:47 PMBut not 85 sacks bad and through the roof pressure rates.

If Nabers gets normal NFL time to run a route, he wins in most cases. 
My real concern is RG. Whoever man's thar spot is between JMS and Neal. Eluemunor has been a significantly better tackle than guard, but I guess he goes to RG, but if we need him for a failed Neal then there is no answer at RG that isn't Stinnie.

I do however think Neal has been injured both his seasons, and from the information coming out recently he was severely injured both his rookie and 2nd year while playing which limited his movement significantly. So hopefully being completely health and having a new oline coach do wonders for him.

Doc16LT56

Quote from: AZGiantFan on Today at 07:09:37 PMSee my post above.  The OL was nowhere poor in his 3 glory years.  League rankings of a top 10 and 2 top 5s in fewest sacks allowed.

I guess memories are something else that needs to get fact checked, besides the eye test.
Your obsessive agenda with distorting this team's history aside, this is a thread about Nabers' ability to perform despite the QB quality. It's not a referendum on whether the OL will play as poorly or any better than last season.

They brought in a couple of vets and are hoping for good health from Thomas and growth from JMS. The assumption is the OL will be somewhat better. The question is how Nabers will perform assuming the current QBs play below par. Is he QB proof?

Step away from your canned answers and think about the thread's premise for once.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: AZGiantFan on Today at 07:05:59 PMReally?  In his first 3 years, which were his best 3 years, the Giants were 9th in fewest sacks, t4 in fewest sacks, and t3 in fewest sacks.  They've never come close to this proficiency in pass blocking in the post-Eli period, during which their league ranking in sacks allowed averaged 26th fewest.  Even in OBJ's 2 good years after his injury year the OL was middle of the road, 22nd and 19th - rankings that would mark a huge improvement if they were able to achieve that this year.

Per PFF, the line was comfortably below average (ie bad) in each of Beckham's biggest three years. Phrase it how you like, but it was not good. The point was that an elite receiver can still produce at a high level behind a not good O line, depending on other circumstances. I never made a precise equation to the current line. You inferred that for some reason, even though I clearly said it has been varying degrees of bad since 2012, a statement I firmly stand by.

https://www.pff.com/news/2014-pff-offensive-line-rankings

https://www.pff.com/news/pro-ranking-all-32-offensive-lines-this-season

https://www.pff.com/news/pro-ranking-all-32-nfl-offensive-lines-this-season

AZGiantFan

Quote from: Doc16LT56 on Today at 07:17:58 PMYour obsessive agenda with distorting this team's history aside, this is a thread about Nabers' ability to perform despite the QB quality. It's not a referendum on whether the OL will play as poorly or any better than last season.

They brought in a couple of vets and are hoping for good health from Thomas and growth from JMS. The assumption is the OL will be somewhat better. The question is how Nabers will perform assuming the current QBs play below par. Is he QB proof?

Step away from your canned answers and think about the thread's premise for once.

Saying the OL played poorly during OBJ's 3 glory years is distorting the team's history. 

One man's canned answers is another man's documented facts.

Not slowing my roll

Doc16LT56

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on Today at 07:22:59 PMPer PFF, the line was comfortably below average (ie bad) in each of Beckham's biggest three years. Phrase it how you like, but it was not good. The point was that an elite receiver can still produce at a high level behind a not good O line, depending on other circumstances. I never made a precise equation to the current line. You inferred that for some reason, even though I clearly said it has been varying degrees of bad since 2012, a statement I firmly stand by.

https://www.pff.com/news/2014-pff-offensive-line-rankings

https://www.pff.com/news/pro-ranking-all-32-offensive-lines-this-season

https://www.pff.com/news/pro-ranking-all-32-nfl-offensive-lines-this-season
They literally drafted OBJ because the owner said the offense is broken.