News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NFT - NY Knicks - 2023-2024

Started by Philosophers, July 01, 2023, 09:03:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nb587

The Athletic is reporting that Randle is going to have surgery.   No word on OG.  While I agree that OG's return is a bigger deal, it would have been nice to see Randle play.  I dont see the Knicks winning many playoff games without OG.

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: nb587 on April 04, 2024, 05:02:47 PMThe Athletic is reporting that Randle is going to have surgery.  No word on OG.  While I agree that OG's return is a bigger deal, it would have been nice to see Randle play.  I dont see the Knicks winning many playoff games without OG.

Yeah, injuries have really been rough since January. The second team is good...real good in fact, but probably not good enough to go deep into the playoffs. Teams are now swarming Brunson and being "extra physical", perhaps to take him out as well. Poor strategy if you ask me...but no one's asking, so there's that  :-??

A good article in the Athletic yesterday explaining that the trades they made this year have set them up for long term success, but short term, injuries have been killing them
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

DaveBrown74

While the Randle situation has been really unfortunate, as stated in a recent post, I really think the more important guy is OG. If they can get him back, while I don't think they're championship material, I wouldn't rule out a run to the ECF. If both OG and Randle are out, forget it, they're not getting out of the second round barring a miracle.

I'm not sure what the situation is with Robinson but I'm not overly optimistic, as he just seems delicate in general. And while I do think Robinson adds value, him being out is less of an issue because Hartenstein has proven to be a pretty solid fill-in that can take on real minutes.

The injuries this team got hit with this year were astonishing. This was like a NYG type season with injuries. It's usually not this bad in the NBA. Guys miss time but usually come back in 3-4 weeks.

I don't know what the latest is with OG, but he's really the key IMO. If they can get him back in good shape, they can maybe make some noise with what they have. If not, then forget it.

nb587

i don't know how to attach the podcast.  The latest Bill Simmons podcast has a very good conversation about the current status and future of the Knicks.  It's the 2nd subject (right after the conversation about the Diggs trade).

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: nb587 on April 05, 2024, 11:37:26 AMi don't know how to attach the podcast.  The latest Bill Simmons podcast has a very good conversation about the current status and future of the Knicks.  It's the 2nd subject (right after the conversation about the Diggs trade).

You have to sign up for the podcast to listen, but it's free https://open.spotify.com/episode/11pONWQMJ313ZD5BmZEN63?go=1&sp_cid=d336d6c198a48fc6b8e7f5d5d4c9ccab&nd=1&dlsi=a2f776c866774163

DaveBrown74

Brunson with 30 points and 11 assists tonight. Another day at the office for him as the Knicks move into a tie for the two seed with one game left.

Brunson is an elite superstar who is playing like a league MVP. The Knicks got such a steal on him. Funnily enough, there were those  who claimed the Knicks were overpaying for a "nice" but not great player when they signed him. He has exceeded those fans' expectations in a major, major way. The guy is just tremendous.

I am beyond pleased with this year's Knicks team. I don't know how far they will go, but this team easily could have folded and mailed it in when 60% of the starting five all went down around the same time with multi-month, serious injuries. But they didn't. They hung in there, battled, and now they're in the tie for the two seed in the East with one game to go in the regular season. That's seriously solid stuff.

Philosophers

Folks can talk all they want about Aaron Judge, Juan Soto, Aaron Rodgers, etc, but the one athlete playing on a NY pro team who owns the city now is Jalen Brunson.

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: Philosophers on April 13, 2024, 08:32:18 AMFolks can talk all they want about Aaron Judge, Juan Soto, Aaron Rodgers, etc, but the one athlete playing on a NY pro team who owns the city now is Jalen Brunson.

Thibs had zeroed in on Brunson long before he became a Knick. I don't think any fan expected Brunson to be the stud PG he has become (NY Post calls him, "the BEST PG in the Eastern Division" - pretty high praise).

The question that sits in the back of my mind is: Is Thibs as surprised as the rest of us?

andrew_nyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on April 04, 2024, 07:06:16 PMWhile the Randle situation has been really unfortunate, as stated in a recent post, I really think the more important guy is OG. If they can get him back, while I don't think they're championship material, I wouldn't rule out a run to the ECF. If both OG and Randle are out, forget it, they're not getting out of the second round barring a miracle.

I'm not sure what the situation is with Robinson but I'm not overly optimistic, as he just seems delicate in general. And while I do think Robinson adds value, him being out is less of an issue because Hartenstein has proven to be a pretty solid fill-in that can take on real minutes.

The injuries this team got hit with this year were astonishing. This was like a NYG type season with injuries. It's usually not this bad in the NBA. Guys miss time but usually come back in 3-4 weeks.

I don't know what the latest is with OG, but he's really the key IMO. If they can get him back in good shape, they can maybe make some noise with what they have. If not, then forget it.
I totally agree with OG's impact on this team.

Now that he's healthy and MitchRob is getting some minutes, it actually looks like a more functional team in terms of ball movement and defensive spacing than it did earlier in the year.

That's a testament to the players and coaching. I am probably in the minority but I believe that keeping their foot on the gas will serve them well in the playoffs no matter their seed.

They remind me o little of the 2010 Giants, in terms of their underdog and NEXT MAN UP mentality.

We finally have a team with an outstanding core and culture and an attractive FA destination.

To all of that I only have one thing to say: Dolan, keep doing what you're doing = NOTHING!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

DaveBrown74

Quote from: andrew_nyGiants on April 13, 2024, 09:33:38 AMI totally agree with OG's impact on this team.

Now that he's healthy and MitchRob is getting some minutes, it actually looks like a more functional team in terms of ball movement and defensive spacing than it did earlier in the year.

That's a testament to the players and coaching. I am probably in the minority but I believe that keeping their foot on the gas will serve them well in the playoffs no matter their seed.

They remind me o little of the 2010 Giants, in terms of their underdog and NEXT MAN UP mentality.

We finally have a team with an outstanding core and culture and an attractive FA destination.

To all of that I only have one thing to say: Dolan, keep doing what you're doing = NOTHING!

I dislike Dolan just as much as the next guy, but it's hard not to throw some credit his way for the Leon Rose hire.

I would also add that his other team, the NY Rangers, currently have the best record in the NHL with the regular season about to end. The Rangers were also in the Stanley Cup Finals less than a decade ago.

I can think of owners who have gotten way worse results with their teams over the past decade, and you don't have to look very far to find them.

andrew_nyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on April 13, 2024, 10:17:39 AMI dislike Dolan just as much as the next guy, but it's hard not to throw some credit his way for the Leon Rose hire.

I would also add that his other team, the NY Rangers, currently have the best record in the NHL with the regular season about to end. The Rangers were also in the Stanley Cup Finals less than a decade ago.

I can think of owners who have gotten way worse results with their teams over the past decade, and you don't have to look very far to find them.
More than fair points.

My point was that he's always been able to attract FO & Coaching talent. His downfall has often been his willingness to step out of the way and let them do their jobs.

Recently it appears, he's done a much better job of staying in his lane.

From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

DaveBrown74

Quote from: andrew_nyGiants on April 13, 2024, 11:57:36 AMMore than fair points.

My point was that he's always been able to attract FO & Coaching talent. His downfall has often been his willingness to step out of the way and let them do their jobs.

Recently it appears, he's done a much better job of staying in his lane.

Fair enough. I hope that that is indeed the case, because for the first time in literally decades, I'm very happy with the way the team is being run.

andrew_nyGiants

50 wins and the 2nd seed....Brunson scores 40 to insure the victory in OT.

This team is more fun to watch than any version  I've seen in years.

DaveBrown74

Great win today. The Bulls really showed up to play, and I'm sorry - that team isn't bad at all. They gave the Knicks all they could handle. Brunson was just too much though. Man was he good.

Funnily enough, the Knicks drew a much tougher first round opponent than they would have if they lost, but no question I'd still rather be the two seed. To know you won't have to play anyone in the East on the road except the Celtics is huge.

DaveBrown74

Good start for the Knicks overall, although it was a mixed bag. They were pretty sloppy at times handling the ball on the perimeter, their shooting was mediocre at best overall (Brunson was less than stellar), and they really struggled to stop Maxey, often basically watching him slash past them to the hoop.

However, they made a number of clutch threes late in the game (Hart and OG), and they dominated big time on the glass. Those were the differences in the game to me. This was never going to be an easy series, as the Sixers with Embiid are a 2-3 seed caliber team. Home edge definitely matters though, and I'd like to think our Nova connection will help us in Philly.

I'm not sure what the deal is with Embiid health-wise but he definitely looked a little banged up despite playing very well. I think his knee is not 100%. The more gimpy he is, the better it is for us obviously, but this team has other guys. Lowry is a total pest and a really effective player. Maxey is a stud. Oubre is effective (5 steals). This team has some guys besides Embiid.

I really want the Knicks to take game two. I'm optimistic as even though they won last night, there were a lot of things they can clean up, so if they play a cleaner game in game two they may be able to win more convincingly. Getting up 2-0 would the pressure off a bit and would enable them to really only have to win one on the road and still be in a commanding position. Let's hope they can manage to do it.