News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Non QB 1st round targets

Started by B1GBLUE, October 31, 2023, 01:22:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B1GBLUE

i dont think its an absolute that we draft a qb with our first pick. its a pretty deep qb draft, can probably get a decent one with one of our 2nd round picks.

personally, i'd rather get 3 impact players with our 1, and 2 2's.

So, are there any players that you would love to get with our 1st round pick that isnt a qb? and why?

sooners56

The only positions worthy of what is expected to be a high first rounder (top 8) is QB, Wr, OT and edge rusher. Several WRs and OTs would fit the bill but I am not sure any edge rusher is worthy specially with Winks system.
Ain't nothing to it but to do it!

Bob In PA

Right now, I would take Marvin Harrison, Jr. Several members like other WR's more (or at least as much).

Why Harrison? IMO he's done it longest & most consistently of all top college WR's (against serious competition).

With Harrison, Hyatt and W.Robinson, the Giants would be able to compete.

Bob

If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Philosophers

I like the top WRs in this draft a lot.  Coleman is big and physical.  Harrison is smooth as silk.

My problem with the top OTs in this draft is that they are all OLTs.  I dont want to convert one to ORT.  I want an ORT.

If we dont go QB in round 1, I think targets may be at WR or DL/Edge.

Bob In PA

Quote from: Philosophers on October 31, 2023, 01:37:18 PMI like the top WRs in this draft a lot.  Coleman is big and physical.  Harrison is smooth as silk.

My problem with the top OTs in this draft is that they are all OLTs.  I dont want to convert one to ORT.  I want an ORT.

Phil: Edge would be my first choice if not for the presence of Harrison. Got to add to my prior post that having a "pedigree" carries weight, even among the refs. I believe he'll get INT calls that most "nobodies" can only dream about. Time to take advantage of the "human-ness" of the refs. We need every bit of help we can get. Bob

MightyGiants

Quote from: B1GBLUE on October 31, 2023, 01:22:49 PMi dont think its an absolute that we draft a qb with our first pick. its a pretty deep qb draft, can probably get a decent one with one of our 2nd round picks.

personally, i'd rather get 3 impact players with our 1, and 2 2's.

So, are there any players that you would love to get with our 1st round pick that isnt a qb? and why?

This will give you a feel for some of the top prospects in next year's draft

https://thedraftnetwork.com/nfl-mock-draft-2024-october-fowler-2/
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 31, 2023, 01:50:23 PMThis will give you a feel for some of the top prospects in next year's draft

https://thedraftnetwork.com/nfl-mock-draft-2024-october-fowler-2/
Rich: If the draft were today and you were AZ and the Giants called you to trade up for Harrison, would you take the deal? AZ's only worry would be that the Bears (who will not take a QB) might also trade down and AZ could then lose their first choice at QB (or not... or they might even like Maye better - I do).  Bob

MightyGiants

Quote from: Bob In PA on October 31, 2023, 02:07:46 PMRich: If the draft were today and you were AZ and the Giants called you to trade up for Harrison, would you take the deal? AZ's only worry would be that the Bears (who will not take a QB) might also trade down and AZ could then lose their first choice at QB (or not... or they might even like Maye better - I do).  Bob

Bob,

We still have 9 games to play.   I am not ready to start focusing that much on the draft, I think there is still more to learn about this team.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 31, 2023, 02:09:51 PMBob,

We still have 9 games to play.   I am not ready to start focusing that much on the draft, I think there is still more to learn about this team.
Rich: Yeah, but you can use the link you kindly posted to pretend today is draft day and THAT is the draft order so you can answer my question (unless you don't know enough about the players mentioned to render a view - I often forget that not everyone watches as much college ball as I do). Bob

MightyGiants

Quote from: Bob In PA on October 31, 2023, 02:16:00 PMRich: Yeah, but you can use the link you kindly posted to pretend today is draft day and THAT is the draft order so you answer my question (unless you don't know enough about the players mentioned to render a view - I often forget that not everyone watches as much college ball as I do). Bob

Bob,

It occurred to me today that I think most of us and many of the football reporters and pundits have decided the Giants are taking a QB.  However, we don't know what they are thinking in the building.  We don't know what the Giants' medical staff thinks of DJ's neck, or it's future stability. 

We also don't know where the Giants will be drafting (which I think could have a big impact on their plans).

Plus, while I appreciate the season is likely over, I am simply unwilling to start talking draft.  I don't want to be one of those people in February or March complaining that they are sick of hearing about and talking about the draft.  So, I tend to consider the draft at a distance until the season is over (when there are not more games to be played).
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

madbadger

Quote from: Philosophers on October 31, 2023, 01:37:18 PMI like the top WRs in this draft a lot.  Coleman is big and physical.  Harrison is smooth as silk.

The problem with that is that schools take their best tackle and play them on the left side. If you force yourself only to draft an OT who was strictly a right tackle in college you are forcing yourself into drafting a teams second best tackle. Just because Neal has struggled, as Alabama linemen tend to, doesn't mean that the kid from PSU or the kid from Notre Dame can't make the transition. Also Neal spent a full year at RT for the Tide before shifting to the left side so he had experience and still failed.

Philosophers

Quote from: madbadger on October 31, 2023, 02:35:51 PMThe problem with that is that schools take their best tackle and play them on the left side. If you force yourself only to draft an OT who was strictly a right tackle in college you are forcing yourself into drafting a teams second best tackle. Just because Neal has struggled, as Alabama linemen tend to, doesn't mean that the kid from PSU or the kid from Notre Dame can't make the transition. Also Neal spent a full year at RT for the Tide before shifting to the left side so he had experience and still failed.

I hear you and there is some truth to it.  Fans think players can play left vs right interchangeably.  Players say that is not true.  In college where there is greater disparity in talent skills a player may be able shift and win on athleticism alone but in the NFL, it's more about a side that a player naturally moves better on.  Right vs left handed.

Some schools that traditionally produce good OL have very good ORTs.

Jclayton92

JJ Mccarthy QB
Harrison Jr Wr Ohio St
Brock Bowers TE Georgia
Odunze WR Washington
Latu the edge from UCLA

My Top 5 wish list

DaveBrown74

I have no problem taking a guy who played RT in college, but given Mad's point let's maybe not use a high first rounder on that.

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 31, 2023, 02:27:24 PMBob,
Plus, while I appreciate the season is likely over, I am simply unwilling to start talking draft.  I don't want to be one of those people in February or March complaining that they are sick of hearing about and talking about the draft.  So, I tend to consider the draft at a distance until the season is over (when there are not more games to be played).

Rich: Completely understandable, considering all you do here. Bob