News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Rome Odunze Draft Profile: Ideal fit for the New York Giants?

Started by MightyGiants, April 04, 2024, 09:09:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Dan and Nick break down the draft profile of Rome Odunze, the wide receiver out of Washington, and as you can tell from the title of this show -- he could be a great fit for this Brian Daboll offense. Both Dan and Nick break down exactly why they appreciate his skill set, referencing the tape first and foremost, advanced stats, raw stats, the variations in his route running, and how he translates to the NFL speed and rules. Finally, they discuss the big picture and why he's a player that would complement the New York Giants well at 6.

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

uconnjack8

I love Odunze, but this regime seems to love smaller quicker WRs.  Odunze would have had a great career in a Coughlin-Gilbride offense.

MightyGiants

Quote from: uconnjack8 on April 04, 2024, 09:46:01 AMI love Odunze, but this regime seems to love smaller quicker WRs.  Odunze would have had a great career in a Coughlin-Gilbride offense.

Their love of smaller and quicker WRs seems like a plus in terms of the Giants drafting him.  Teams do well to have a diverse skill set in their receiver room and Odunze's size and strength would be a good compliment.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jolly Blue Giant

Great point by Dan near the end when he says that DJ has to stop waiting for the receiver is open to throw the ball and rely on the receiver to make a play. Of course, it probably has a lot to do with DJ's insecurities that come from being sacked and throwing so many interceptions early on, and being told he cannot throw any more interceptions to stay in the NFL
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

londonblue

Odunze is my favourite WR fit for us as I think he is the highest character/work ethic guy and has a really high floor: good technique, tidy routes/finds space in zones, great hands, great body control/wins contested catches, good speed, great blocker. IMO he is the best complement to what we have where I see some overlap for Nabers with Robinson and Hyatt in terms of best use. I also continue to have reservations about Nabers maturity. Tony Pauline on the recent Giants podcast with Schmeelk only reinforced that concern.

Day two I really like Ricky Pearsall for his hands, ability to find space and body control/contested catches. He's a much better athlete than people expect (this white guy can jump!).
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

bamagiantfan

I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant - Robert McCloskey (if he were on this Forum)

katkavage

Odunze would prosper on the Giants and be a serious playmaker once the team finds a QB.

uconnjack8

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 04, 2024, 09:52:25 AMTheir love of smaller and quicker WRs seems like a plus in terms of the Giants drafting him.  Teams do well to have a diverse skill set in their receiver room and Odunze's size and strength would be a good compliment.

I couldn't agree more

Philosophers

Guys - please think about this:

Option 1

Draft Malik Nabers - as he has components of both slot and X, make him the flanker (Z) as that incorporates both what a slot does with quick moves and slants/cuts as well as X like deep ball sideline WR.  Commit to Hyatt as the sideline X with his speed.  Remember he played outside the hashmarks largely at Tennessee and has great hands.  Also you dont have to. E huge to be an X.  OBJ was an X at only 5'11" but he had good release moves abd great hands.

Option 2 - draft Odunze to make him the clear X.  He has less wiggle and may be stiffer so he is more strictly the X.  Hyatt plays the Z but must improve his route running as Z demands kore precision than X in routes.

Not sure which option I like more. 

MightyGiants

Quote from: Philosophers on April 04, 2024, 01:58:44 PMGuys - please think about this:

Option 1

Draft Malik Nabers - as he has components of both slot and X, make him the flanker (Z) as that incorporates both what a slot does with quick moves and slants/cuts as well as X like deep ball sideline WR.  Commit to Hyatt as the sideline X with his speed.  Remember he played outside the hashmarks largely at Tennessee and has great hands.  Also you dont have to. E huge to be an X.  OBJ was an X at only 5'11" but he had good release moves abd great hands.

Option 2 - draft Odunze to make him the clear X.  He has less wiggle and may be stiffer so he is more strictly the X.  Hyatt plays the Z but must improve his route running as Z demands kore precision than X in routes.

Not sure which option I like more. 

Consider Naber's arrest for carrying a concealed gun in New Orleans and the comments made by @londonblue (see further up the posts).    Odunze is a team captain and a high-character guy.  The opposite of some of the more mercurial WRs the Giants have drafted in round one like OBJ and Toney
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 04, 2024, 02:01:16 PMConsider Naber's arrest for carrying a concealed gun in New Orleans and the comments made by @londonblue (see further up the posts).    Odunze is a team captain and a high-character guy.  The opposite of some of the more mercurial WRs the Giants have drafted in round one like OBJ and Toney

If not Nabers Rich then substitute out another prospect with Nabers size/wiggle/YAC for Option 1 and consider both options.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Philosophers on April 04, 2024, 02:13:29 PMIf not Nabers Rich then substitute out another prospect with Nabers size/wiggle/YAC for Option 1 and consider both options.

Nabers has elite traits, I don't think they can be swapped out with another prospect.  If he didn't have exceptional and very special skills as a receiver I wouldn't be calling for caution with Nabers I would be pounding the table to avoid him at all costs
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Painter

bamagiantfan

So, I had heard during the last few months that there were some concerns about Odunze's ability to separate and that despite his size it could limit him in the NFL. A pre-draft comparison to another highly thought of receiver - Laquan Treadwell - was made. Does anyone have any concerns about that? I have seen plenty of highlights but have not seen Odunze play.
I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant - Robert McCloskey (if he were on this Forum)