News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Rome Odunze Draft Profile: Ideal fit for the New York Giants?

Started by MightyGiants, April 04, 2024, 09:09:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philosophers

Yes hut that is true
Quote from: sooners56 on April 04, 2024, 04:06:11 PMRome was open several times, Penix just didn't see him.
Quote from: sooners56 on April 04, 2024, 04:06:11 PMRome was open several times, Penix just didn't see him.

Penix was being chased all game.  Was it surprising?

Painter

Quote from: Philosophers on April 04, 2024, 03:56:00 PMHe had one long catch for something like 40 yards but he was held quiet for everything else with 4 catches for 40 yards.  He didnt dominate at all in the championship game.

And exactly who did dominate other than Michigan's running game and Dline pass rush, Joseph? Certainly, not Michael Penix who went 27 for 51 on mostly heavily pressured short passes that included a couple of INTs and several misses to a wide open Odunze.

Cheers!

brownelvis54

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 04, 2024, 09:09:45 AMDan and Nick break down the draft profile of Rome Odunze, the wide receiver out of Washington, and as you can tell from the title of this show -- he could be a great fit for this Brian Daboll offense. Both Dan and Nick break down exactly why they appreciate his skill set, referencing the tape first and foremost, advanced stats, raw stats, the variations in his route running, and how he translates to the NFL speed and rules. Finally, they discuss the big picture and why he's a player that would complement the New York Giants well at 6.

Good video Rich, I would be happy with either guy. Odunze has the size, we have had a guy like this in a while. I would be happy with the pick
The KING is in the building

Philosophers

Quote from: Painter on April 04, 2024, 08:46:37 PMAnd exactly who did dominate other than Michigan's running game and Dline pass rush, Joseph? Certainly, not Michael Penix who went 27 for 51 on mostly heavily pressured short passes that included a couple of INTs and several misses to a wide open Odunze.

Cheers!

Larry - The argument was about the role Odunze played in the game.  It was not dominance.  Think you know that and just feel like stirring something up.

MightyGiants

Here is what Bruce Feldman heard from college coaches about him:

The Coaching Intel

"(He is) as good as we've faced (in two decades as a college coach). Unbelievable with the ball in the air. Fantastic hands. Very good route runner. Good size. Good competitor. He is as good at tracking the ball as I've ever seen. That 50-50 ball, he had to have been 85 percent or better at those."

"He can play inside or outside and eat you up. He's very polished and has a lot in his bag. He makes great adjustments and is very, very strong. He's the alpha receiver who bullies guys whenever there's a contested catch. I know people talked a lot about Marvin Harrison and we never played him, but if he's better than this guy, man, that's really saying something."

https://theathletic.com/5380858/2024/04/04/nfl-mock-draft-2024-prospect-source-insight-williams-mccarthy/
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Quote from: londonblue on April 04, 2024, 11:42:51 AMOdunze is my favourite WR fit for us as I think he is the highest character/work ethic guy and has a really high floor: good technique, tidy routes/finds space in zones, great hands, great body control/wins contested catches, good speed, great blocker. IMO he is the best complement to what we have where I see some overlap for Nabers with Robinson and Hyatt in terms of best use. I also continue to have reservations about Nabers maturity. Tony Pauline on the recent Giants podcast with Schmeelk only reinforced that concern.

Day two I really like Ricky Pearsall for his hands, ability to find space and body control/contested catches. He's a much better athlete than people expect (this white guy can jump!).

Here is exactly what Tony Pauline said about Nabers

https://www.sportskeeda.com/nfl/2024-nfl-draft-wr-prospects-tiers-why-marvin-harrison-jr-undisputed-1-malik-nabers-rome-odunze-draft-boards
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

uconnjack8

with that info on Nabers, I think if it comes down to a decision between he and Odunze, its going to be Odunze.

bamagiantfan

Quote from: FL GMAN on April 04, 2024, 04:28:32 PMIs Odunze faster than Bowers. To my untrained eye, on the field, Bowers seemed faster. I'm probably wrong because Bowers is probably 20 lbs. heavier.

Bowers is in the 4.5s and Odunze is in the 4.4s. Bowers would be a worthy choice if Waller decides he is retiring. He is a nightmare cover. Too quick  for LBs and Safeties and too big for CBs. Productive, smart, and hard-working. Some would not be happy with this pick, but after watching him shred Defenses in the SEC for years, I would have no complaint.
I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant - Robert McCloskey (if he were on this Forum)

Philosophers

The WR pool is so deep that if the Giants drafted Bowers at 6, they could still get an X WR1 in round 2 or 3.  Now they'd have two additional weapons on offense.  Add a mid-late round RB and their offense just got more talented.

MightyGiants

Ryan Dunleavy
@rydunleavy
There's not a safer pick in the top 10 of the #NFLDraft than Rome Odunze. Star player, clean character evaluations. https://nypost.com/2024/04/12/sports/rome-odunzes-immense-talent-could-make-him-next-great-ny-receiver/

How would he fare with #Giants or #Jets? I asked his coach.

"He will be eating New York out of his hands because he truly is a person who can handle all types,. There's a brute toughness to New York, and Rome has that. There's also the glitz and glam. Guess what? He's going to make those plays, too."

https://x.com/rydunleavy/status/1778991373254803601
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

Ia Odunze a big WR who generates consistent YAC and breaks away or does he make the catch then goes down?

The latter is Isiah Hodgins.  We dint need another of that.

Ed Vette

Quote from: Philosophers on April 13, 2024, 08:54:57 AMIa Odunze a big WR who generates consistent YAC and breaks away or does he make the catch then goes down?

The latter is Isiah Hodgins.  We dint need another of that.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Philosophers

Thanks Ed.  Do you know how that YAC measures against say Nabers or Harrison?

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Ed Vette

~ Coach Tom Coughlin