News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Top QB Rankings Roundup

Started by MightyGiants, April 09, 2024, 12:05:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

I came across this while researching what JT O'Sulliva's rankings were without having to sit through the long video.

Early Pre-Draft Consensus Rankings
Mel Kiper at ESPN, Lance Zierlein at NFL.com, Dane Brugler at The Athletic,

Caleb Williams
Jayden Daniels
Drake Maye
J.J. McCarthy
Bo Nix
Michael Penix Jr.

Kurt Warner

Caleb Williams
Jayden Daniels
Michael Penix Jr.
Bo Nix
Drake Maye
J.J. McCarthy

Matt Waldman

Caleb Williams
Michael Penix Jr.
Bo Nix
Jayden Daniels
J.J. McCarthy
Drake Maye

Chris Simms

Caleb Williams
Jayden Daniels
Bo Nix
Michael Penix Jr.
J.J. McCarthy
Drake Maye

Former NFL backup QB Kurt Benkert

Jayden Daniels
Caleb Williams
JJ McCarthy
Bo Nix
Drake Maye

JT O'Sullivan

Caleb Williams
Jayden Daniels
JJ McCarthy
Drake Maye
Michael Penix Jr.
Bo Nix

@Ed Vette can correct the JT O'Sullivan one, as they published this right before JT released his official rankings (they used his previous comments to gather his rankings)

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2024/4/8/24122506/nfl-draft-top-qb-rankings-roundup
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

EDjohnst1981

For you guys who armchair scout and/or watch a lot of college ball - where in those lists would you place the current Giants QBs?

Jclayton92

Quote from: EDjohnst1981 on April 09, 2024, 12:07:03 PMFor you guys who armchair scout and/or watch a lot of college ball - where in those lists would you place the current Giants QBs?
Every single Qb coming out of this class has thrown at a volume that our Qbs simply can't compete with. All of those guys have the potential to be the guy, and the same can't be said for Jones or Lock.

MightyGiants

Quote from: EDjohnst1981 on April 09, 2024, 12:07:03 PMFor you guys who armchair scout and/or watch a lot of college ball - where in those lists would you place the current Giants QBs?

I was going to try and answer this by giving the draft grades from Lance Zierlein for the various prospects.  Only the NFL is screwing around with their draft tracker so his grades are unavailable.   :angryfire:  :computer:  :cuss:
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Finally, the NFL got their act together.  Here are Lance Zierlein's grades for the top 6 QB prospects this year and the current Giants QBs

Caleb- 6.74
Jayden Daniels-  6.73
Drake Maye-  6.50
JJ McCarthy-  6.40
Bo Nix-  6.39
Penix- 6.25

Current Giants

Devito - Not high enough to be graded
Daniel Jones- 6.30
Drew Lock- 6.40
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

EDjohnst1981

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 11, 2024, 12:15:15 PMFinally, the NFL got their act together.  Here are Lance Zierlein's grades for the top 6 QB prospects this year and the current Giants QBs

Caleb- 6.74
Jayden Daniels-  6.73
Drake Maye-  6.50
JJ McCarthy-  6.40
Bo Nix-  6.39
Penix- 6.25

Current Giants

Devito - Not high enough to be graded
Daniel Jones- 6.30
Drew Lock- 6.40

Thanks.

Ed Vette

I'd like to think about who are the most coachable. Jones and Lock haven't proved that. Nox and Penix have been playing for a long time and may be set in their ways to a certain extent. Any thoughts on the other four?
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: EDjohnst1981 on April 11, 2024, 12:33:30 PMThanks.

You're welcome, although I will confess I was also curious about the results.  Mike Lombardi said it's important to grade players and have access to past grades.  Otherwise, you can get so caught up in a current draft class that you start to overvalue them rather than seeing them in the context of other prospects.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

EDjohnst1981

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 11, 2024, 12:51:17 PMYou're welcome, although I will confess I was also curious about the results.  Mike Lombardi said it's important to grade players and have access to past grades.  Otherwise, you can get so caught up in a current draft class that you start to overvalue them rather than seeing them in the context of other prospects.

Yes, that's why I was interested. It was surprising to see Lock graded higher than DJ.

MightyGiants

Quote from: EDjohnst1981 on April 11, 2024, 12:59:02 PMYes, that's why I was interested. It was surprising to see Lock graded higher than DJ.

It's been awhile, but I remember I wasn't all that high on Lock. 

On the reason for optimism, Matt Waldman (a pretty good civilian talent evaluator) thinks that Lock might have turned the corner.   He is of the opinion (and he cites comments by Lock's father as evidence) that Lock was one of those young men who thought he had all the answers, and until he got to the NFL, he was getting by on his natural gifts.   Lock has since realized that he needs to focus on and work on his shortcomings to allow his natural talent to shine in the NFL.  It remains to be seen of Walman is correct, but it's a small reason for optimism.  Maybe Lock will be another Geno Smith.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

EDjohnst1981

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 11, 2024, 01:30:22 PMIt's been awhile, but I remember I wasn't all that high on Lock. 

On the reason for optimism, Matt Waldman (a pretty good civilian talent evaluator) thinks that Lock might have turned the corner.   He is of the opinion (and he cites comments by Lock's father as evidence) that Lock was one of those young men who thought he had all the answers, and until he got to the NFL, he was getting by on his natural gifts.   Lock has since realized that he needs to focus on and work on his shortcomings to allow his natural talent to shine in the NFL.  It remains to be seen of Walman is correct, but it's a small reason for optimism.  Maybe Lock will be another Geno Smith.

I guess we will find out soon enough.

uconnjack8

Heard a stat about sacks taken per blitz attempts.  For example Patrick Mahomes was sacked once for every 22 times he was blitzed last year.  For CJ Stroud it around once every 13 blitzes.   Here is where this class stacks up

This is listed by a sack per the amount of times blitzed:

Jayden Daniels  2.4
Spencer Rattler 2.7
Caleb Williams  3
Drake Maye      3.2
JJ McCarthy     3.5
Bo Nix          5
Penix           12

Going to be a rough rookie year for these guys.

Bob In PA

Quote from: uconnjack8 on April 12, 2024, 04:10:18 PMThis is listed by a sack per the amount of times blitzed:

Jayden Daniels  2.4
Spencer Rattler 2.7
Caleb Williams  3
Drake Maye      3.2
JJ McCarthy     3.5
Bo Nix          5
Penix           12

uconn: That's one reason why I continue to stick with my long-held view that Daniels is most likely of this group to succeed (though I continue to have questions about how he'll do on a team lacking an elite WR or TE). Bob

If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!