News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Arizona Cardinals set price tag to move off of fourth

Started by LennG, April 10, 2024, 01:01:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jclayton92

Pay the price, we've seen over and over that you can build good teams with out 1st rd picks. The 49ers weren't phased by the multiple 1sts they paid for trey Lance much less all they used to get McCaffrey

That and the Rams won a super bowl with no 1st rd picks for a decade.

You either have a qb or you don't, you have to get the guy if you think he is a guy.

Stringer Bell

Quote from: Jclayton92 on April 10, 2024, 04:39:05 PMPay the price, we've seen over and over that you can build good teams with out 1st rd picks. The 49ers weren't phased by the multiple 1sts they paid for trey Lance much less all they used to get Mccarthy.

You either have a qb or you don't, you have to get the guy if you think he is a guy.

The irony of "trading multiple 1sts for Lance" as a proof point for success.

katkavage

Quote from: Jclayton92 on April 10, 2024, 04:39:05 PMPay the price, we've seen over and over that you can build good teams with out 1st rd picks. The 49ers weren't phased by the multiple 1sts they paid for trey Lance much less all they used to get Mccarthy.

If you are convinced he is your guy, yeah. I agree because the position is worth giving away picks...if it works out. I would easily sacrifice the chance to draft an offensive tackle or receiver in the for round next year if I knew I found my QB for the next decade. That being said, I'm not convinced McCarthy is worth that much because he is who you will get at 4.

Ed Vette

They can't be asking for the same compensation from all teams. It's negotiable. If they believe they can get their guy at six, the Giants can offer something significantly less. It depends what on how the draft plays out.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

DJN

Three 1st rounders ?? Lol

None of these qb's are Peyton Manning coming out of college..Not even close

jimc

Quote from: katkavage on April 10, 2024, 05:10:10 PMIf you are convincedhe is your guy

If you are that convinced then go for it.  But, I don't think that is the case.
- Accumulating knowledge is pointless unless it is used to help someone

MightyGiants

You can also end up like the Jags and the Chargers where you supposedly have your QB and still not win
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

madbadger

Winning meaningless games late in the season killed our chances of getting one of the top 3 quarterbacks.

Jclayton92

I get playing safe but thise franchise has played it safe and not taken chances the past decade and where has that gotten us?

If we gave up a 2 1sts and 2 2nds for Josh Allen, no one would think twice. I get it there are risks, but anything is better than trotting out a backup for the 6th year in a row and hope we lose enough again next year to get a qb in a weak qb class.

So if they see a guy that they think is the guy, then yes absolutely. Neal, Wandale, Banks, and JMS are the last 2 1st and 2 2nd round picks, would you not trade an elite Qb for those 4 guys? Absolutely you would.

DaveBrown74

There is no position in this sport -- perhaps not in any team sport -- that one should be more wiling to make enormous sacrifices to obtain than quarterback.

In my opinion, when a team is in desperate need of QB help, as we are, taking a swing at a QB prospect we are high on and missing is much worse than passing on someone we like a lot due to sticker shock and then having that player become great for someone else.

The former is unfortunate, but a common occupational hazard. The latter is unforgivable and a sound reason to not only be fired but to never get a job as a GM again.

AZGiantFan

Quote from: katkavage on April 10, 2024, 05:10:10 PMIf you are convinced he is your guy, yeah. I agree because the position is worth giving away picks...if it works out. I would easily sacrifice the chance to draft an offensive tackle or receiver in the for round next year if I knew I found my QB for the next decade. That being said, I'm not convinced McCarthy is worth that much because he is who you will get at 4.

You can be convinced he is your guy and he can still turn out to be a bust. 
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

katkavage

Quote from: AZGiantFan on April 11, 2024, 03:36:35 AMYou can be convinced he is your guy and he can still turn out to be a bust. 
Yeah you can. But does that fear stop you from doing what you think is best?

jimc

Quote from: Jclayton92 on April 10, 2024, 09:22:06 PMSo if they see a guy that they think is the guy, then yes absolutely. Neal, Wandale, Banks, and JMS are the last 2 1st and 2 2nd round picks, would you not trade an elite Qb for those 4 guys? Absolutely you would.

.............or you could have given up nothing and gotten a Purdy.

kingm56

Quote from: jimc on April 11, 2024, 06:14:48 AM.............or you could have given up nothing and gotten a Purdy.

That phenomenon happens about once every quarter decade.  In the last 30 years, we've had Brady and Purdy, and the latter failed to beat the NFL's best QB, despite being surrounded by copious talent.  In fact, if you review the last 35 years of SB winners, you'll note the overwhelming majority were won by teams with 1st round QBs.  The notable exceptions are the aforementioned Brady, R. Wilson and Nick Foles.  In the modern NFL, it's all about the QB; Az starting price reflects that reality.   

jimc

Quote from: kingm56 on April 11, 2024, 06:32:18 AMThat phenomenon happens about once every quarter decade.  In the last 30 years, we've had Brady and Purdy, and the latter failed to beat the NFL's best QB, despite being surrounded by copious talent.  In fact, if you review the last 35 years of SB winners, you'll note the overwhelming majority were won by teams with 1st round QBs.  The notable exceptions are the aforementioned Brady, R. Wilson and Nick Foles.  In the modern NFL, it's all about the QB; Az starting price reflects that reality.   

Sure, the most SB were won by teams that had 1st round QB's.  They were probably won by teams that had 1st round receivers.  I wont debate that the QB position is important, but it takes way more than that to win a SB.  I think you'll find that teams that win the SB are pretty solid in other areas besides QB.  Oh, and there are some 1st round QB's that aren't that good but win SB only because of the other parts of the team were great (Trent Dilfer).