News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Arizona Cardinals set price tag to move off of fourth

Started by LennG, April 10, 2024, 01:01:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrew_nyGiants

Quote from: jgrangers2 on April 12, 2024, 03:07:29 PMExcept my philosophy isn't to take a QB just to take a QB. If the Giants drafted Daniel Jones just because they felt they had to take a QB, that was a mistake. I say this to all the people who say they'd be disappointed if we don't come out of this draft with a new QB.

My point is that if you like a QB and believe he can be your franchise QB for the next decade, there's nothing wrong with making your move to get him. You can't just sit around and wait for the next generational QB to fall into your lap.
So you're saying that the Giants drafted DJ just to take a QB, that they really didn't believe in him?

That extends FAR BEYOND Gettlemen and if true (which I'm not buying) is very disturbing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

AZGiantFan

Quote from: andrew_nyGiants on April 12, 2024, 03:25:53 PMSo you're saying that the Giants drafted DJ just to take a QB, that they really didn't believe in him?

That extends FAR BEYOND Gettlemen and if true (which I'm not buying) is very disturbing.

And with DJ looking like an Eli clone, you have to wonder about Mara's influence.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

kartanoman

Quote from: AZGiantFan on April 12, 2024, 03:38:15 PMAnd with DJ looking like an Eli clone, you have to wonder about Mara's influence.

At least in 2004, it was less about Mara and more about Accorsi righting the John Elway "wrong" from earlier in his career. I remember quite a few of us on the "previous incarnation" of this board giving him the "Rug Doctor" treatment until he stepped aside in 2007, his work complete, and Coughlin and team run the gauntlet for the most magical Super Bowl victory these eyes have ever witnessed. The "It" factor was used often in those days and, despite the inauspicious start in 2004, Manning and his team got there with their now-legendary head coach. To the "rug" go the spoils of a mission deemed complete.

It will be forever more the successes and failures, praises and curses, start at (or near) the top, as they probably should be. To be certain, we, the restless natives, will never miss a beat in that endeavor.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

Rosehill Jimmy

Quote from: Painter on April 12, 2024, 12:16:46 PMI don't think it really matters because as I see it, Schoen and Co have no intention to trade up. Moreover, even if McCarthy is still available at 6- the other 3 won't be- I'm not at all sure, they will roll the dice in his favor.

The 3 teams still speculated as trade-up for a QB candidates are: Vikings at 11, Broncos at 12, and Raiders at 13. If one of them feels that it would be worth such a major investment to achieve immediate competitiveness, then it would seem that its target would be either Daniels or Maye at earlier than the Giants 6th overall.

And so, that begs the (my) question, would one of them otherwise make an offer to Our Heroes to get McCarthy? And if so, would Schoenco- reminds me of a Tight End- be interested? My wag is only if it allowed them to still get Nabers or Odunze. Otherwise, Niet!

Cheers!

In my opinion, moving out of top 10 almost assures missing out on one of the top WRs.
"It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"

katkavage

:yes:
Quote from: Rosehill Jimmy on April 12, 2024, 05:31:41 PMIn my opinion, moving out of top 10 almost assures missing out on one of the top WRs.
Better odds getting a number one receiver in later rounds than a QB.

Rosehill Jimmy

Quote from: katkavage on April 12, 2024, 05:41:43 PM:yes: Better odds getting a number one receiver in later rounds than a QB.

Agree entirely but I was simply responding to the scenario posed by Painter
"It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"

coggs

Quote from: katkavage on April 12, 2024, 01:40:51 PMJones was a projected 3rd Round pick. Gettleman screwed that up. It was his incompetence as a GM, not the philosophy that was the issue. 
Jones was not a projected 3rd round pick. Argument can be made they could have taken him with 17 (or wherever they got Dexter Lawrence), but he was not dropping further than that.

jgrangers2

Quote from: andrew_nyGiants on April 12, 2024, 03:25:53 PMSo you're saying that the Giants drafted DJ just to take a QB, that they really didn't believe in him?

To a certain extent, yes. Once Herbert went back to school, they turned their attention to Jones.

Ultimately, you shouldn't be afraid to get your guy if you believe in him. That's how the Chiefs got Mahomes and the Bills got Allen. But you also shouldn't draft a QB just to draft one.

AZGiantFan

Quote from: jgrangers2 on April 13, 2024, 09:14:05 AMTo a certain extent, yes. Once Herbert went back to school, they turned their attention to Jones.

Ultimately, you shouldn't be afraid to get your guy if you believe in him. That's how the Chiefs got Mahomes and the Bills got Allen. But you also shouldn't draft a QB just to draft one.

Which is what I fear the Giants will be doing if the draft one this year.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll