News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

John Michael Schmitz

Started by Brooklyn Dave, April 11, 2024, 03:23:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Vette

John Michael Jingleheimer Schmidt
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

AZGiantFan

Quote from: londonblue on April 11, 2024, 07:06:52 AMHe also had a revolving cast either side of him and injury issues. We'd hope to see a significant step forward year two but unless and until it happens we just don't know.

Exactly.  AND it shows what nonsense it is when fans say, 'pick this guy and we'll have an all pro for ten years'.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

GloryDays

When I watched his tape in college, he seemed to be pretty good technically; however he looked to be physically on the smaller side and kind of weak, at least not muscular. So I agree that if he can bulk up a bit and spend time in the weight room, he should be able to visibly improve his game.

MightyGiants

Here is what McGinn's scouts said about JMS prior to the draft

1. JOHN MICHAEL SCHMITZ, Minnesota (6-3 ½, 303, 5.31, 2): Sixth-year senior. "I have him ahead of Tippmann," one scout said. "He's my best center. Has a wrestling background. Very tough. Big and physical. He reminded me some of that kid that came out of Wisconsin, Travis Frederick. Has some athletic limitations but I think he can fit in both a gap and a zone scheme. He's a good enough athlete. He's played a lot of football. He's a plug-and-play, Day 1 starter." After redshirting in 2017, seldom getting on the field in '18 and starting four games in '19, he started all 31 games at center from 2020-'22. "Plays on his feet, works to finish, solid in the run game and pass pro," a second scout said. "It wouldn't surprise me if he starts right away. He has guard flex potentially, which is a big thing." Wonderlic of 22. "More fun to watch than he is talented," a third scout said. "We have him later in the draft. Center only. He's stiff and bends at the waist. Balance and body control are an issue. He's on the ground too much. Now, he is a XXXXX. He'll try to kill you on every play. But plays out of control." Arms were 32 5/8, hands were 9 ½. "Heart and hustle," said a fourth scout. "Gets in the way but nothing overly athletic about him. Just a smart, tough, heady player. He'll start." From Flossmoor, Ill.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

I'm far from an expert on O line technique, but all I know is most rookie centers who were as highly rated as he was coming into the league do way better than that as rookies, and plenty go into less than ideal circumstances. Moreover, he's already 25 years old.

I heard a lot of excuses for Neal after his rookie season too. I have Schmitz down as a genuine concern.

madbadger

FWIW he was never as good as Tippman. If you're using Tippman to judge JMS you're setting him up for failure. Tippman is a future pro bowler and JMS is going to be a good NFL starter. If we picked him over Tippman I'd be pissed but the Jets robbed us of that chance.

4 Aces

Technically, the farther and more lateral he has to go, the less effective. Good drive blocking and combo blocking and I like how busy he was in pass pro. Always looking to help G's and hit somebody.

The negatives I saw? Outside zone liability. With OZ you gotta stay even with the LOS and start arcing up the field. I saw him consistently taking false steps backward (bad trajectory out of his stance) and getting beat by the DT. That's a tough block - the reach block - against some athletic DTs who are sometimes already shaded ahead of you. If the C can't cut the guy off (or loses depth) the play is ruined by penetration.

This was a key play in the Daboll/Barkley offense (it was considered Barkley's best play) even though they sucked at blocking it. When you look at the G's they added, maybe they are going to more of a gap scheme this year, which seems to fit Neal better too. 4 of the 5 projected starting OL do not move laterally well.

To me, it looks like an OL that is going to struggle again picking up stunts and twists if they try to throw the ball without establishing the run. If they pound downhill with gap runs and Singletary keeping them on schedule, it can be an effective OL IMO.

nb587

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 11, 2024, 11:16:39 AMThe end result requires teamwork, but I think there is enough individual performance by linemen than they can be evaluated individually
I used to work out at the same gym Bart Oates worked out in. He was very approachable and I once asked him if a fan watching television could tell who on the OL screwed up.  He told me that unless one knew what the individual responsibilities were, it was impossible to tell who screwed up. 

bamagiantfan

We draft a guy in the second round, and he steps in immediately and starts 13 games. Maybe he was worn out blocking Dexter Lawrence in practice every week.

I hope we draft 6 more guys like that this year. 
I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant - Robert McCloskey (if he were on this Forum)

kartanoman

Quote from: Bob In PA on April 11, 2024, 12:20:57 PMk-man: Does your final sentence mean you're going to change after you retire in ten years -or- you're going to retire in slightly over ten years?  =)) Bob

I should never have pursued that Systems Engineering Masters Degree. My brain is warped for all eternity now! But I love it so much I can't decide if I should retire, re-program my brain, do both or just go with the flow ...

Things that make me go ....  :hmm:

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

Bob In PA

Quote from: 4 Aces on April 11, 2024, 09:06:35 PMWith OZ you gotta stay even with the LOS and start arcing up the field. I saw him consistently taking false steps backward (bad trajectory out of his stance) and getting beat by the DT. That's a tough block - the reach block - against some athletic DTs who are sometimes already shaded ahead of you. If the C can't cut the guy off (or loses depth) the play is ruined by penetration.
Aces: Right, but it's a typical rookie error, especially against an elite NT or DT. I'm certain he'll fix it this season. Rookies are caught between a rock and a hard place getting overpowered when they don't back up & getting getting beat around the side when they do. Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!