News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Taking an early temperature on people's thoughts for this season

Started by DaveBrown74, April 28, 2024, 07:31:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How do you see the Giants' season going this year?

Uncle Mickey

Quote from: katkavage on April 28, 2024, 09:49:12 AMGood post. You have to assess the schedule. As of today how many teams on that schedule will the Giants be favored?

5-6 wins if Bowen bombs, up to 10 if he is legit as schedule is a bit easier this year.

Jclayton92

I like schoen and Daboll but after 3 drafts we should see a plan, we should see a team forming and I don't see that yet. Plus with the hole at Qb and other spots it's hard to understand the vision but that has been the case for 10 years.

uconnjack8

I said 7 or 8.  For me it's all about whether the offense will be significantly improved or not. 

The defense will be improved if the offense is. 

Painter

I have been posting in BBH, and before it on BBWC, for a very long time and have learned that no matter the circumstances a good fan roots, not hoots, toots, or boots. Should you wonder why, you are either a newbie, or you haven't been paying attention. In any case, we all should know that the purpose of the guessing games are to?  <:-P

Cheers!

AZGiantFan

IMO it will boil down to 3 things:

1) the play of the O-Line.  In the unlikely (IMO - the triumph of experience over hope) event they improve to average, eg, cut the sacks down by half,

2) the defense's ability to stop the run, something they were horrific at last year, and

3) Daboll running a real pre-season rather than last year's cheerleader camp,

then I could see them at the very good level.  But if those things do not materialize the best they can hope for is mediocre, with a good chance at poor.

As an aside, I noticed something in researching last year's O-line play and just how bad it was, DJ was sacked 30 times in 6 games.  The other QBs were stacked 54 times in 11 games.  So the sack rates, 5 per game, were pretty much the same, calling into question the narrative that DJs sacks were his own fault - unless you want to argue that the others shared his fault.  But hey, "eye test".  Yay?
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Philosophers

I see one stud in Nabers.

I hope Nubin either starts at a 75th percentile level.

Phillips is 50-50 for me as to being a better than average starter.

Rest of draft picks are under 50-50 chance of being in 50th percentile or better at their position.

FA signings plus new OL coach improve OL to be average (hoping).

Defense is improved by talent acquisition and Bowen's schemes.

DJ posts top 15 performance.

Injuries derail us like they do 99% of the seasons over past decade.  We continue to lack good player depth to offset it.

Dabs runs another soft preseason and we are ill-prepared for upcoming season again.

We win 5 maybe 6 games.

Jolly Blue Giant

I'm cautiously optimistic that we can win 7–8 games, but instead of fretting whether we're a good team or not, I'm going to be more interested in watching the growth of last year's rookies (JMS, Hyatt, Gray, Hawkins III), and watching closely to see if bringing in Bricillo and a couple of veterans on the o-line will improve things (hopefully, a lot)...our new defensive scheme with a new coach...and of course, the newbies getting their first taste of NFL play and how they play, especially Nabers

I like that Schoen seems to have settled into building the team stick-by-stick. I think the worst thing that happened was a great first season with a low-talented team, that might have caused Schoen to think we're "almost there" and only required some tweaking. Season two was an in-yer-face reality check, an old-fashioned, "fist to the nose" wake-up call...especially out of the gate where the Cowboys utterly humiliated us because we didn't take offseason workouts seriously enough and came completely unprepared in game one. Stings just to talk about it  :hurt:  :crazy:

So three things:

1) Schoen is forgetting about "win now", and building a foundation for the future instead of thinking we could make it to the playoffs with a few tweaks - that's a positive IMO

2) Daboll will NOT let this team have an easy offseason workout this summer and will come to game one ready to actually play like NFL players. I believe no one was more humiliated than Dabes in that Cowboy game

3) the addition of a stud ER across from Thibs will be exciting to watch and could have more of an impact on the defense than anything else

So I've got lower expectations, yet excited to see growth in players and overall play this season. If we only win 4 or 5 games, but they are close and we played well, I will be satisfied because I know we're still in building mode. We're not the Chiefs yet
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

spiderblue43

The Giants are kinda stuck in neutral. They need this draft and next to change the paradigm. Plus, they have a lame duck qb in Jones..who can't be counted on.

I'm expecting much of the same again..injuries. OL issues..lack of consistent play on offense..etc.

But I like this draft a lot and they
should be competitive, if unspectacular

Elephant in the room (the qb), however,  makes it another tough go. Maybe this year we won't lead the league in injuries-one can hope.

Uncle Mickey

I see a ton of negativity here. Giants have this uncanny tendency to do really well when the expectations are low. A lot has to fall right but I am not going into next season without at least some hope either.

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: Uncle Mickey on April 28, 2024, 02:50:28 PMI see a ton of negativity here. Giants have this uncanny tendency to do really well when the expectations are low. A lot has to fall right but I am not going into next season without at least some hope either.

I don't think people are being negative, but rather being tentative with their expectations. We knew that the entire team had to be rebuilt when Schoen was hired and that it would be a 3-year process, but we got a little ahead of ourselves with a stellar first season with Daboll at the helm. Then reality slapped us across the face and that's where we are now. I think the general tone is positive, but we're trying not to get ahead of ourselves. You can never question the passion Giants' fans have for this team, but no matter how much they love the team, they aren't blind to reality
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

gregf

Progress for me would be a functional offense.  Last season was embarrassing. I thought the o line was fixed- nope. If Runyan and Elumenor played as advertised,AT stays healthy,  and JMS improves,good thingscan happen. Nabers should be the go to receiver to make things exciting.
  On D,I'm excited about the edge rushers, but concerned about D line depth to stop the run

AZGiantFan

Quote from: Uncle Mickey on April 28, 2024, 02:50:28 PMI see a ton of negativity here. Giants have this uncanny tendency to do really well when the expectations are low. A lot has to fall right but I am not going into next season without at least some hope either.

After the last 10 or eleven years we are like a QB who has taken too many sacks.  Punch drunk and a little skittery.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

katkavage

In 2022 things went very right for them. But the schedule helped. They will have to go a lot "righter" with the teams they face in 2024.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: katkavage on April 28, 2024, 04:56:11 PMIn 2022 things went very right for them. But the schedule helped. They will have to go a lot "righter" with the teams they face in 2024.

True. In the year that literally everything clicked and went their way, they went 9-7-1 and got absolutely destroyed in the second round.

miss86

Looking at the 2024 Giants Opponents. I picked 9-10 wins. Certainly not as difficult as 2023. Who knows really. The OL can't be as bad as last year, can it? HOPE NOT! Hinges on if DJ can run at all with that ACL repair. If not, he is gonna have to learn to throw the ball from and trust his pocket. Can he? I have no idea. Hopefully the WR we just drafted turns out to be as good as advertised. Dabol and company sure do have their work cut out for them. GO GIANTS!

2024 Giants Opponents
Baltimore Ravens @ MetlifeStadium
Cincinnati Bengals @ MetlifeStadium
Dallas Cowboys @ MetlifeStadium
Indianapolis Colts @ MetlifeStadium
Minnesota Vikings @ MetlifeStadium
New Orleans Saints @ MetlifeStadium
at Atlanta Falcons
at Carolina Panthers
at Cleveland Browns
at Dallas Cowboys
at Philadelphia Eagles