News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NYT "Connections" Game

Started by DaveBrown74, October 20, 2023, 10:49:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 21, 2023, 07:30:01 AMThis new puzzle is giving my brain more of a workout than Wordle (which like @DaveBrown74 it feels like going through the motions)

Connections
Puzzle #132
🟦🟨🟨🟨
🟨🟦🟨🟨
🟨🟨🟨🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟪🟪🟪🟪
🟦🟦🟦🟦

Agreed MG. It feels like more of a "three dimensional" brain workout than Wordle, which feels more "two dimensional." If that makes any sense.

The curveball factor in this game is huge too. They clearly throw you traps to try to get you to connect words that seem connected at first but actually aren't the right answer in the puzzle. That adds a tricky, fun element to it.

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 21, 2023, 08:10:38 AMAgreed MG. It feels like more of a "three dimensional" brain workout than Wordle, which feels more "two dimensional." If that makes any sense.

The curveball factor in this game is huge too. They clearly throw you traps to try to get you to connect words that seem connected at first but actually aren't the right answer in the puzzle. That adds a tricky, fun element to it.

Your description makes perfect sense to me. 

With Wordle I am looking for letter pairings and placement

With this puzzle, I need to know what the word means, how the word relates to others on its own, how what the word represents relates, and even how the word is used with other words.   It's a more complicated challenge
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Crash and burn
Connections
Puzzle #132
🟦🟨🟨🟨
🟨🟦🟨🟨
🟦🟩🟩🟨
🟨🟦🟨🟨
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 21, 2023, 08:25:16 AMYour description makes perfect sense to me. 

With Wordle I am looking for letter pairings and placement

With this puzzle, I need to know what the word means, how the word relates to others on its own, how what the word represents relates, and even how the word is used with other words.   It's a more complicated challenge

They seem to like words that have multiple meanings and some that are a little ambiguous

As for me, I busted this morning - didn't get a single foursome right

Connections
Puzzle #132
🟨🟦🟨🟨
🟨🟦🟨🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟪
🟪🟪🟦🟨
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

T200

Connections
Puzzle #132
🟨🟦🟨🟨
🟦🟪🟪🟪
🟩🟦🟩🟪
🟦🟨🟨🟨

Who's smart now, @Ed Vette ???  :doh:
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

T200

Connections
Puzzle #133
🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟨🟨🟨🟪
🟨🟨🟨🟪
🟦🟦🟪🟦
🟪🟦🟪🟦

DaveBrown74

Absolutely crashed and burned today. Knew one of the categories, and one of the words I was certain was in it (which absolutely works in the list) was not part of it, so that killed me. Will explain after 10am.

I did a handful of practice ones yesterday and felt like I was getting a little better at them too so this was frustrating!

Connections
Puzzle #133
🟩🟨🟩🟩
🟦🟩🟦🟦
🟦🟦🟩🟦
🟦🟦🟩🟦

Jolly Blue Giant

It is really kind of hard. I was lucky and got two categories correct on the first try. Even surprised me because I didn't think the words were that close. Tough puzzle. I like it!

Connections
Puzzle #133
🟨🟨🟨🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟦🟪🟪🟪
🟪🟪🟪🟪
🟦🟦🟦🟦

T200

Seems like it's relatively easy to pick 3 out of 4. The challenge is the common/well-known meaning of the 4th word isn't what they're using.

Definitely need more brain power for this one.

DaveBrown74

Better today after yesterday's car crash:

Connections
Puzzle #134
🟩🟩🟦🟩
🟨🟨🟨🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟦🟦🟦🟦
🟪🟪🟪🟪

DaveBrown74

BTW one technique I'm learning (the hard way) in this game that seems to help is when I have two or three words I feel are very likely connected, but I guess the fourth one wrong, rather than continuing to try to find one that fits that group, I temporarily abandon it and look for other groups. I think if you get hung up on just one angle and try to solve it you risk burning multiple guesses, and it's possible you may be on the wrong track altogether with that grouping.

T200

Connections
Puzzle #134
🟨🟨🟦🟨
🟨🟨🟨🟨
🟩🟦🟩🟩
🟩🟦🟩🟩
🟦🟩🟪🟪

I took the same route as Dave. Didn't get hung up on one group. Just ran out of chances lol

MightyGiants

I have crashed and burned the last two.  I get caught up in the (you missed by one) and use up all my guesses fixing that.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 23, 2023, 08:26:32 AMI have crashed and burned the last two.  I get caught up in the (you missed by one) and use up all my guesses fixing that.

I have done maybe 12 or so of these puzzles now (three real, maybe 8-10 practice). I definitely think the above is a clear pitfall, and I have crashed and burned a number of times doing it. So now if I get one wrong guess initially I'm on to a new theme right after that, and this tactic seems to lead to better results.

Jolly Blue Giant

Connections
Puzzle #134
🟨🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟦🟦🟦🟦
🟨🟨🟨🟪
🟪🟪🟨🟪
🟪🟪🟨🟨

These things are really hard. Mixing slang, with proper English, as well as words with multiple meanings and in many cases, rarely used except in certain circles or time periods. Frustrating