News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Unvaccinated people are "variant factories," infectious diseases expert says

Started by MightyGiants, July 03, 2021, 09:32:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Quote from: squibber on July 21, 2021, 11:16:31 AM
MightyGiants, interesting reads.  I read somewhere that if you bash someone for their flawed belief, they will just dig their heels in.

I think Biden should have a town hall meeting on tv with a panel of scientists and go into the technology of the vaccine, how it works in the body and why it is safe.  It will at least convince reasonable people who are a bit fearful of the new technology.

Squibber,

This article describes techniques and approaches that can work to change people's minds.

https://www.bakadesuyo.com/2019/12/change-someones-mind/

These techniques will usually not work online.   It also takes a lot of time and patience to try and break though to people (I have read the book referenced in the article)
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

jimmyz

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/20/politics/white-house-section-230-facebook/index.html

It appears the white house is reviewing section 230 now which protects social media platforms from liability for content posted. 

Quote(CNN)The White House is reviewing whether social media platforms should be held legally accountable for publishing misinformation via Section 230, a law that protects companies' ability to moderate content, White House communications director Kate Bedingfield said Tuesday.

The Section 230 debate is taking on new urgency in recent days as the administration has called on social media platforms to take a more aggressive stance on combating misinformation. The federal law, which is part of the Communications Decency Act, provides legal immunity to websites that moderate user-generated content.

"We're reviewing that, and certainly they should be held accountable," Bedingfield told MSNBC when asked about Section 230 and whether social media companies like Facebook should be liable and open to lawsuits for publishing false information that causes Americans harm

None of this even remotely resembles standard practice of private companies as we traditionally think of it.  This is not a private company acting on their own.  This is government coercing a private company to act at the former's behest.

It's as open and ham fisted as anything Trump would do.  It looks like section 230 is getting attacked from two sides.

Where Trump wanted to remove protection under 230 based on the fact that social media were not acting as neutral speech platforms and were in fact acting as editors, it appears Biden is wanting to remove protection based on the fact that, at least in the case of Facebook, they're not editing as much as the White House would like.
"The best way to get anything done is...ugh...if you hold near and dear to you ugh...then you like to be able to ugh..."

jimmyz

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 21, 2021, 07:36:24 AM
Jimmy, I have to honestly ask do you actually care about America or Americans?   It appears the ONLY thing you care about is your political agenda and people's lives be damned.   While you admit that the evil people at FOX News are literally killing people with their misinformation-based anti-vax messaging, other than not defending you REFUSE to talk about it and tangentially try to defend FOX by changing the subject or making inappropriate comparisons.

Yes, let us talk about Facebook.  For my job, I posted pro-vaccine messaging.   Facebook is so overrun with evil or misguided (you take your pick) anti-vaxxers that I had to go on the platform every hour to remove the false anti-vaxxer claims that were posted in response to the pro-vaccine message.  So President Biden was correct to call out Facebook's negligence in policing their platform for deadly misinformation.

As for suspending accounts, it seems Jimmy you are far angrier than your Republicans got suspended from Twitter for killing people by spreading FALSE information to keep people from being vaccinated, than you are about the deaths caused by the misinformation these elected officials are posting and the deaths they are causing. 

I have to say from where I sit, it appears you really don't like my country and don't care about my fellow Americans, because there are two sides those trying to save lives and shockingly people trying to kill people.   You seem to be taking the position of attacking the life savers and indirectly trying to defend the killers

?
"The best way to get anything done is...ugh...if you hold near and dear to you ugh...then you like to be able to ugh..."

LennG

I was watching a report on one of the network news shows this AM. Doesn't really matter which one, but they were in Louisiana, and interviewing people, still in the hospital getting over Covid. They interviewed 4 people, all middle age and removing, and none were vaccinated. Three of them shook their heads and said if they had it to do all over again, they would have gotten vaccinated, now knowing what they would have to go thru. Ther 4th a male, mid-'40s swore up and down that he would go thru it all over again instead of protecting himself with a vaccine. he said it was hell, but he would never put that vaccine in him because Biden and the Democrats want them to.

Sorry people but this is the thinking in this part of the country. Seriously, some would rather get sick, maybe die, instead of getting vaccinated because it is all a plot by the Democrats and Biden.

Insanity.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Woody

Mayor of New York has mandated that all hospital workers get vaccinated as less than 60% are not.
What , why not they should be vaccinated if only to set an exhale for others.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DaveBrown74

My two cents is I have not read a single post here suggesting that the vaccine should be legally forced on people, nor have I read a post suggesting that it is a good idea to not take it. I could be wrong, but I don't recall a single one making either of those points.

So it seems to me that the two "sides" in this thread are probably not as far apart on this issue as the level of vitriol would suggest they are.

Ed Vette

Why are Blacks and Hispanics so low compared to Whites in receiving the vaccine? It can
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

squibber

One of my Facebook friends who is a staunch conservative made a comment on the heated exchange between Fauci and Rand Paul. He said of Fauci

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on July 22, 2021, 08:59:08 AM
Why are Blacks and Hispanics so low compared to Whites in receiving the vaccine? It can
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

I heard in a meeting today, we are seeing more and more breakthrough cases where people who are vaccinated are getting sick and testing positive.   Now again, it's still very rare for vaccinated people to end up in the hospital or dying, but this new Delta variant with its massive virus load and shedding among the unvaccinated seems to be overwhelming the defenses of the vaccinated in many cases.

I urge even the vaccinated to exercise caution especially around people who are unvaccinated or you are unsure if they are vaccinated or not.

I can tell you last night I was going to go to a gathering.  An old acquaintance from the squad had passed away and there was going to be a gathering (a sort of pseudo wake) at his old home in town (his daughter lives there).  I was actually driving to attend and turned around.  I realized I would be in a crowded home, with people likely unmasked and who I didn't know if they were vaccinated or not.    The only way I would feel safe is if I were wearing a KN95 mask, but I don't feel comfortable going to a social gathering and possibly being the only one or one of a limited number of people wearing full protection masks.    I wanted to go, but I just couldn't justify the risk.   Sadly, for the last few months I thought things were winding down, it appears (thanks mostly to the a-holes who refuse to get vaccinated and the Delta Variant) Covid will be with us for quite some time.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

jimmyz

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on July 23, 2021, 04:35:00 AM
Wow.

DB,

I am not sure how much "wow" there really is when you know the full truth.  I have been accused of being "too honest" so maybe it's not fair to hold Jimmy to the same standard I hold myself.   For me, I would never dream of leaving out important facts, especially if leaving them out has the potential to mislead you.  I value the truth too much and I respect you guys to never deceive you.   

The full story is that Joe Biden did make a mistake and say that you "couldn't get sick" if you are vaccinated, but the important information that was left out was that this was the third time he was talking about the vaccine at a town hall and he had correctly and in detail described what the vaccine could do for you.    Look, I am not going to excuse President Biden, because he needs to be more careful.   Both you don't want to risk adding more misinformation out there, and there are people with bad intentions who will jump on a gaff like that, to spread mistrust in our government.

QuoteCalling on Americans to get vaccinated against Covid-19, Biden said, "If you're vaccinated, you're not going to be hospitalized, you're not going to be in the ICU unit and you're not going to die." In another exchange moments later, Biden said that even if vaccinated people do "catch the virus," they are "not likely to get sick."

But then, during a third exchange, Biden said that since the vaccines "cover" the highly transmissible Delta variant of the virus: "You're not going to get Covid if you have these vaccinations."

I will even go as far as to say Joe should have been more careful and say "it's very unlikely that you will be hospitalized rather than the blanket "you won't get hospitalized".    I get you are trying, for the good of the nation and humanity, to promote the vaccine but you never want to be anything less than 100% accurate no matter how noble the intention.   We are battling a deadly virus and a group of deadly people who want nothing more than to see this virus continue by convincing people not to be vaccinated.   So you need to be very very careful about what you say.   There needs to be 100% trust because you are careful in what you say and how you say it. 
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE