News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Did Cashman screw up with Greg Bird?

Started by retrojint, August 25, 2018, 07:14:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

retrojint

The Yankees have a deep farm system.   This causes Brian Cashman to engage in constant pruning of the 40-man roster.  He realizes that if he doesn't, the Yankees will be raided in the Rule 5 or they will have to designate for assignment some talented, young players.   All understood.  He's actually been excellent the last few seasons.    But when you consider Ben Gamel, Tyler Austin, Jake Cave and especially Billy McKinney, you have to wonder if he kept the right guy.    Especially McKinney, a personal favorite who has taken a circuitous route to MLB since he was drafted in the first round by the As.  He was a coveted trade plum by the Cubs and then the Yankees in the Chapman rental.   It seems like he's been around forever.  He's only 24.  I think he has a few 200-hit seasons in his future. 

Meanwhile, Bird is finally healthy.  At the plate, however, he's starting to resemble Kevin Maas.  He has good strike-zone judgment, good pitch-type discernment.  He swings at strikes.  But he misses a lot of balls that he should be handling.  And although it can be said that none of the other guys is an exceptional defensive first baseman, or even a first baseman at all, Bird hasn't exactly inspired there, either.  Something to think about going forward.  Boone has admitted Voit might get ABs at first. 
"When the going gets tough, I shall return.....much later."

Giant Obsession

A year later and we are still in the same place with Mr. Bird.  If he could stay healthy I think he is the answer for the next 10 years.  Because he can not stay healthy I think mentally he is in a terrible place every time he tries to come back.

Sadly, it is time to just him go so he can get a fresh start away from the the Bronx.  I highly dowbt we will ever see what might have been for Bird in a pinstripe career.
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon