News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Greatest Clutch Catch in World Series History

Started by Giant Obsession, May 12, 2022, 06:55:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Giant Obsession

Everyone runs to Mays' catch against the Indians in '54.

Or Sandy Amoros robbing Yogi Bear in Game 7 of the '55 Series.

Hardly ever mentioned is Joe Rudi climbing the wall in '72 to rob Denis Menke of the Reds in '72.

But for my money, and never mentioned is Paul O'Neill's grab in the 9th inning of Game 5 of the 1996 World Series against Atlanta.  Leading by 1 and Atlanta with 2 runners on if the O'Neill does not catch the deep drive Atlanta wins ad grabs the Series lead at 3 games to two.  Most amazing to me is the ball is past O'Neill, who was on on a dead run.

Rudi's catch ....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwXpXZEDyew

O'Neill's catch .....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0XcIgwcOAc

Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

jimv

Sorry Obs.  But I'll stick with Willy's catch.  When he made it, there were men on first & second and his perfect throw from the deepest part of the Polo Grounds held the guy on second to just 3rd base.  That made his throw, IMO, the greatest.

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

LennG

Myself, I will still go with Amaros's catch in '55.

Sorry GO, but May's catch makes O'Neill's look easy and I will also go with Ed, Ron Swoboda's catch was remarkable, especially if you followed those Mets and knew how bad a fielder Swoboda was.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss