News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

"Great receivers don't save bad quarterbacks"

Started by MightyGiants, May 02, 2024, 11:17:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Marc Ross, the man who oversaw the Giants' drafts for 11 years (his last draft was just graded in the 3-year draft grade thread), gave his take on the Giants drafting Nabers.

https://x.com/NFLTotalAccess/status/1784652442338197696

Carl Banks addressed his comments (Carl has had his disputes with Ross in the past).  Banks pointed out that Ross didn't directly say Daniel Jones was a bad QB.   Banks also pointed out, that if Nabers is as advertised, it will definitely help Daniel Jones (along with the other WRs)

Banks also disputed Ross' claim that the Giants drafted Nabers to try and fix Daniel Jones.  Banks said that Nabers was drafted because the Giants needed a modern offense, and that starts with at least one elite receiver on your roster.   Banks felt Jones was on his own (DJ will sink or swim on his own).   If Jones wants to stay with NYG he is going to have to earn it himself.  He did suggest he expects and improves Jones, but the key is Jones getting comfortable that his O-line is able to protect him.

I will say that Marc Ross tests one of my core tenets.   I have a strong preference for seeking out former NFL people to hear their opinions and views on football.   In general, I feel those views and opinions are more valid and tend to be better than other commentators.

Yet, what do I do with someone like Marc Ross, who I witnessed as terrible at his job for 11 years?  The man even has a degree from Princeton, so he is certainly not stupid.

To date, I simply take the approach that I take with most of the true experts.  Listen to what they have to say (while giving them the benefit of the doubt), but don't take their word as gospel.  They need to support and lay out sound arguments for why they hold the opinions they do (especially, hot takes).

I will say, I don't disagree with his assertion big picture.   If Jones doesn't have it in him to be a franchise QB, Nabers will not change or fix that.   On the other hand, if Jones isn't as bad as some people think, an elite QB can really elevate DJ's game.  Ultimately, time will tell.

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

BluesCruz

Jones was a loser at Duke

Has been a loser for us

How is Nabors going to change that ...... is he the second coming of Homer Jones?
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

babywhales

Jones has to decide to make certain throws and needs to start hitting receivers in stride and/or all together that he has been missing. 

Jones is reluctant to throw intermediate and long throws unless it is obviously open.  And despite the line, there are plenty of examples of him missing these on plays without pressure. 

There are windows in plays that exist before it is blatantly obvious that the receiver will be open that good quarterbacks will deliver a pass in.  Jones does not take those. Jones needs big windows of separation to pull the trigger or he checks down or runs.  These are the critical throws that when completed alter the defenses single safety approach toward Jones.  Every time he checks down or runs to no avail he reaffirms the defenses approach to bring it and force him over the top.  He is yet to make a defense pay. He must earn the right to see a different defense.

Nabers will probably get the separation that will make Jones comfortable to throw the intermediate and longer throws. In that sense I believe he will help DJ.  He will not make him good and certainly not great.  But he probably will make him functional again.

Nabers, Hyatt and Robinson should be more than enough to provide Jones opportunities to show he can process defensive pre snap fronts and make the correct reads. A healthy Waller with Nabers is more than most QB's are afforded so if they keep Waller there really is not excuse.  
"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S

Uncle Mickey

The 2nd part of Marc's quote should have been: 'But they certainly allow decent QBs to elevate their production.' or 'They certainly help prove who is a good QB or isn't'

B1GBLUE

bitter that he didnt get the gm job, after years of running AWFUL drafts. gtfoh with this guy. while he's not entirely wrong, it can certainly "elevate" a qb. show me a largely successful qb with the same value oline and weapons jones has had at any point in history. please.

B1GBLUE

Quote from: babywhales on May 02, 2024, 01:44:33 PMJones has to decide to make certain throws and needs to start hitting receivers in stride and/or all together that he has been missing.

Jones is reluctant to throw intermediate and long throws unless it is obviously open.  And despite the line, there are plenty of examples of him missing these on plays without pressure.

There are windows in plays that exist before it is blatantly obvious that the receiver will be open that good quarterbacks will deliver a pass in.  Jones does not take those. Jones needs big windows of separation to pull the trigger or he checks down or runs.  These are the critical throws that when completed alter the defenses single safety approach toward Jones.  Every time he checks down or runs to no avail he reaffirms the defenses approach to bring it and force him over the top.  He is yet to make a defense pay. He must earn the right to see a different defense.

Nabers will probably get the separation that will make Jones comfortable to throw the intermediate and longer throws. In that sense I believe he will help DJ.  He will not make him good and certainly not great.  But he probably will make him functional again.

Nabers, Hyatt and Robinson should be more than enough to provide Jones opportunities to show he can process defensive pre snap fronts and make the correct reads. A healthy Waller with Nabers is more than most QB's are afforded so if they keep Waller there really is not excuse. 

agreed. i was totally on the everyone is ragging on jones train, until i saw the all 22 footage of guys WIDE open while jones was not under pressure and completely missed them and took a useless checkdown. now, i will say - i really cant blame him for not trusting his line enough. hes more worried about getting absolutely flattened than he is about getting the ball to an open guy. thats a tough spot to be in, but he HAS to make the plays that are there, when they are there. I will also point out, if you watch the all 22 film for EVERY QB IN THE LEAGUE, they all miss wide open guys at times. the difference is they at least hit on them SOMETIMES.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Uncle Mickey on May 02, 2024, 03:58:42 PMThe 2nd part of Marc's quote should have been: 'But they certainly allow decent QBs to elevate their production.' or 'They certainly help prove who is a good QB or isn't'

True, there was certainly a lack of nuance in Marc's quote. 
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE