News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Would YOU have preferred Joe Alt over Malik Nabers?

Started by brownelvis54, May 02, 2024, 04:42:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brownelvis54

Before anyone here post " the draft is already done" I just want an opinion on what you think. Both men are there at 6...who would you have preferred?

I have seen several reports that Joe Schoen # 1 pick in the draft was Joe Alt. It is said he was sending signals around the league that a QB was in play for the Giants. If a team that wanted a QB would have traded up with a team in the top 5, that in turn would help out chances of Alt slipping to pick 6. Smart way of thinking IMO.

As we all know, no trades were done. I myself didn't se the Chargers taking Alt at 5

For me. I like the Nabers pick. And if I was choosing at 6 I would have taken Nabers at 6 too.

Some might say this was a deep WR draft class and while true, after the top 3 WRs in this draft, the talent wasn't the same. Sure you might get a stud in round 2, Nabers talent cannot be denied. I have seen some that felt Nabers was a better WR than Harrison Jr and regardless of who you thought was better, just the fact they were neck and neck in some conversations speaks volumes about his God given talent.

This draft was also fairly deep as it pertains to the offensive line too. I am in the camp of " it's not easy switching from Left Tackle to Right Tackle". Joe Alt is a stud, but he is a stud at Left Tackle. To assume he would transition to Right tackle with ease is not a given.

For me I would prefer to draft a kid that for the most part played Soley at Right Tackle for the majority of his time in college.

I think Joe got it right, but it makes me wonder...what would he have done in both players were there at 6

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/new-york-giants/news/new-york-giants-nfl-draft-joe-alt-insider/a0f604ad18cc0b1a1ad6496d

The KING is in the building

ViewFromSection129

We've already tried the "move LT to RT" thing and that hasn't worked out well at all.  It still might, but so far it isn't good.  I was more than open to taking a tackle, but not in Round one and to move him to the right side.  I preferred Nabers for sure.

Jersey Heel

Nope. I wanted an alpha receiver who can help any QB we decide to line up with. DJ is probably not the answer, so Nabers could help give a leg up on the development of the next guy. Look at how much better Tua was with Hill.

AZGiantFan

No.  I don't believe that the way to build an OL is to just keep throwing very high draft picks at it.  Someone (I think it was Rich) posted a chart that showed the Giants, far and away, have spent the most draft capital on the OL.  And got the league's worst OL for their trouble.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

EDjohnst1981

No.

The line has a patchwork remake, allow the new coach to see what he can mould together. There are too many depleted areas to spend premium draft capital on the OLine again.

Ed Vette

If they really believed in Jones, it would not matter who he was throwing to. Eli had some good receivers and a couple of almost elite and a lot of Jags. We're Nicks, Manningham and Cruz great receivers or did Eli make them look good? How would those three look on this team? The best receivers Eli had were Toomer, Odell and Plax. He found a way to get the ball to Smith, Tyree, and the rest.

I would have drafted Alt if not a QB. Evan Neal has to find a way to a starting role on this team. Either at RT competing with Alt or Guard. The best way to get better results from Jones is to protect him in the pocket. If you want to get his head clear, protect him. He didn't need a shiney hood ornament. Just ask this guy...
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

sjones71

We're all really tired of the OL being awful and it sucks to have missed on some FA OL in the past AND to live with the likelihood that Neal isn't going to make it at RT. I like the FA OL they got this year, but I've said that before. Still, I think given where they were at 6 and the fact that they couldn't trade to move into a spot to get Maye, I'm 100% on board with taking Nabers there. We still have to face QB reality, but they obviously didn't have conviction on McCarthy. I would not have taken Alt at 6.

B1GBLUE

no. we have invested so much draft capital in the oline over the last decade or so, and have not yielded great results. alt looks great, but so did neal. if we took ANOTHER first round tackle bust, it would have been devestating. also, he is a LT. as others have mentioned, get a guy who is used to being on the right. Im hoping with a new coach and approach, maybe neal can be the guy he was supposed to be. if hes even 75% as advertised, we are in ok shape. RT is not a position you spend such a high pick on, even though i believe thats what the chargers did. on the other side of the coin- they have a "prized" qb that they had trouble protecting. its worth that kind of draft capital to protect your investment.

babywhales

Quote from: Ed Vette on May 03, 2024, 07:38:34 AMIf they really believed in Jones, it would not matter who he was throwing to. Eli had some good receivers and a couple of almost elite and a lot of Jags. We're Nicks, Manningham and Cruz great receivers or did Eli make them look good? How would those three look on this team? The best receivers Eli had were Toomer, Odell and Plax. He found a way to get the ball to Smith, Tyree, and the rest.

I would have drafted Alt if not a QB. Evan Neal has to find a way to a starting role on this team. Either at RT competing with Alt or Guard. The best way to get better results from Jones is to protect him in the pocket. If you want to get his head clear, protect him. He didn't need a shiney hood ornament. Just ask this guy...

I think the Giants would have taken Alt if they had the 5 pick

Manningham was average at best and struggled to learn the playbook needing a redshirt year to even make the field. Slayton and Manningham are very similar. when he was the number 1 he came up short. His best year he was the #2 receiver receiving the benefit of Nicks taking the #1. All that being said he made one of the greatest catches with zero room for error at the most critical juncture of the game and that puts him in a very special class.

Nicks was a stud. Injuries took their toll but he was a stud. He was a #1 receiver.

Eli made Cruz and the two complemented each other nicely for three very nice seasons

Toomer was an important vet for a rookie Qb to have but was past his peak production by the time Eli came along

Shockey was a nutjob head case whose benefit to the team was negated by his negative impact on his QB and the game plan. The Giants were not a team until he was hurt.

Plax changed everything for Eli IMO
"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S

Uncle Mickey

Heck no and this is coming from someone that thinks ALt will be great.

At some point you gotta coach up what you have. Brillo pad will wipe the stink of Bobby Johnsons coaching off of our poor lineman  =))  One of Neal or Eluemenor play RT the other RG. Runyon is a plus pass blocking LG, Thomas is Thomas, JMS was supposedly the best OC in last year's draft and smart. I'm fine with what we got NOW that we have what seems to be a top notch OL coach in place.

H-Town G-Fan

No. At this point, the Giants are hoping that they can salvage Neal, or Eleumenor gives them capable RT play. I am hesitant to keep throwing high picks at the OL when this team is still talent-deficient in numerous other areas. While Wan'Dale and Hyatt are nice players, at this point they can't be counted on to be anything more than complementary. I see Nabers as a difference maker. Maybe not this season, but in 2025 and beyond.

BluesCruz

Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"