News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

What are we watching these days?

Started by LennG, September 02, 2020, 04:50:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozzie

Haven't started The Boys yet, but you're not the first to recommend it. It is definitely on my watch list.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

LennG

Finished the last 4 chapters of The Man In The High Castle, this afternoon. Wasn't thrilled with the ending, but  on most series, fans are never thrilled with the way they end these things.
Overall a good watch. I wouldn't call it great, but if you get into the premiss, you will enjoy it. I did and was happy I watched all 4 seasons.

Onto The Boys.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

More for some of our 'older' fans, but TCM broadcast the original T.A.M.I. show the other night. If you have never heard of this show/movie, it was made in 1964 and featured probably every major singing group or person of the time. I still remember seeing it in a theater as a teen and I stayed for 2 other showings. Back then, you didn't have to leave after the movie was over, you could stay there all day if you wished.

Take a look at the roster of people who performed

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058631/.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T.A.M.I._Show

I believe it was the only movie that the Rolling Stones did and they closed the show. If it is ever rebroadcast on TCM, or any other startion, or you can watch it on whatever streaming service you have, and you are into this kind of music, you will not be disappointed. Just for James Browns performance alone, it is worth the watch.
Unbelievable show. 5 stars
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

Our local paper, NY Newsday, had a complete lisitngs of most of the new shows coming out this month and next. One jumped out at me almost instantly--Fargo will be back Sept 20 something on FX.

I don't know if anyone has watched this series, but, I would have to say it may be the best TV series around, when it is on. This will be it's fourth season and it seems it is on like once every 2-3 years. Anyway, It is NOTHING like the movie, excpet in past years, the characters come from places like Fargo and talk with that type of accent.
So the past 3 season, are all independent of each other, like entire new casts, entire new stories and each season has nothing to do with the previous one.
The series has been blessed with big time actors and actresses and the writing and acting are maybe the best on TV. If not for Better Call Saul, which seems to be off more than on, this would have to be the best series on free cable TV.

QuoteThe first season, set in Minnesota and North Dakota in 2006 and starring Billy Bob Thornton, Allison Tolman, Colin Hanks, and Martin Freeman, received wide acclaim from critics.[5] It won the Primetime Emmy Awards for Outstanding Miniseries, Outstanding Directing, and Outstanding Casting, and received 15 additional nominations including Outstanding Writing, another Outstanding Directing nomination, and acting nominations for all four leads. It also won the Golden Globe Awards for Best Miniseries or Television Film and Best Actor

Charlie Weiss

jimv

Actually, I could have made this post on the regular movie thread.  But, since I've already said that I'm watching movies from my library, I'm posting it here.

For the umpteenth time, I just finished watchin "Four Feathers."  If you like adventure & excitement, it's the movie for you.  It's part of my collection of "50 Great Adventure Movies."  it was made 81 years ago in the greatest year in Film History; 1939!  And, IMO, it still stands up.  It was made on a Grand Scale without, of course, the use of computer technology.  I highly recommend it.  It very well might be available in some local libraries or, perhaps on some of your streaming sources.  If not, I'm sure it's available on Amazon.  It's a blu-ray put out by the Criterion Collection & in excellent condition.  Get it & enjoy! :ok:

ozzie

I haven't seen Four Feathers but I will heartily agree that 1939 produced more great movies than any year before or since!!
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."

John Mara

GordonGekko80

Quote from: ozzie on September 04, 2020, 01:08:49 PM
I really liked both of the Jumanji movies. Action, adventure and laughs.

Absolutely agree. Also, you can sense that there's a good relationship between D Johnson and K Hart.
Those two combined make a funny duo.

LennG

I may have to break down and try them. I never even saw the first one, but I do like 'The Rock' (he will always be 'The Rock' to me) as I am a huge fan of the WWE where he got his start. Most of his movies are light entertainment, and I always passed them off as that. I have to be in the right mood for that, but again he is a pleasing watch.
Sure come a long way from WWE.

Charlie Weiss

Jolly Blue Giant

A couple of weeks ago I started watching "Punisher" on Netflix. It's based on the Marvel Comic series of the same name. It started slow for the first few episodes (almost gave up on it), then started to get pretty good. Now I'm halfway through the second series and I am hooked. Unfortunately, there are only two seasons and there won't be a third season on Netflix due to some rights that now belong to Disney or something like that. Regardless, it's not Ozark, but it's pretty good if you don't mind a lot of gore. Very brutal scenes and an incredible amount of killing bad guys for which the Punisher (called "Frank Castle") says he didn't "murder" them, but rather they died of "terminal stupidity". The Punisher is an ex-marine special ops guy who was given orders by the CIA's Dept. of Covert Operations while in Afghanistan and now is taking down that same corrupt department he worked for in the past. Also, some pretty graphic sex scenes so this is not for kids even though it's based on a Stan Lee comic.
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

GIANTS1

i watched Once upon a time in hollywood. a way better movie than i expected especially if you know about the Sharon Tate murders.

LennG

Quote from: GIANTS1 on September 10, 2020, 09:25:48 AM
i watched Once upon a time in hollywood. a way better movie than i expected especially if you know about the Sharon Tate murders.

It WAS a very good movie and maybe Tarantino's best in a while. But look at who he was working with, DiCaprio and Pitt just for starters. Yes, it used the Tate and Manson thing as a sort of background, but never really gets into it. And what would a Tarantino movie be without the need for a bloodbath at the end. He always has that 'lots of blood' but it is always movie studio blood and not gory at all.
Anyway a great watch. I loved it when Pitts character had that fight with Bruce Lee.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

Maybe this should go in the movie thread, but I am really not trying to review this movie. The other day I DVRed a movie, Wild At Heart. The synopsis sounded interesting, great actors in it,  and when I saw David Lynch was the director, I thought, why not take a chance. Overall, I am NOT a fan of David Lynch and his sense of anything. I know some people simply loved Twin Peaks and consider it classic TV, but not me. I did a search of Lynch's other works and looking at the list, I can say there were a couple of things I enjoyed, so I'll give this movie a shot. I was wrong. It was so typical David Lynch, I almost couldn't make it thru to the end. If it wasn't for the fact that Laura Dern was naked about every 10 or 15 minutes, I would have turned it off. Nick Cage was the star and it was so typical of him. He played the brooding guy tricked into some crime he didn't want to do and the rest is just Lynch with weird plot lines, to me, just silly story, direction. I should have turned it off earlier but I enjoyed watching Miss Dern parading around in her birthday suit much of the time. I would think anyone who enjoyed Twin Peaks would love this movie.

Charlie Weiss

ozzie

Quote from: LennG on September 21, 2020, 05:00:53 PM
If it wasn't for the fact that Laura Dern was naked about every 10 or 15 minutes,
Well, that's reason enough for me to give it a try! HAHA!

John Mara

LennG

Quote from: ozzie on September 21, 2020, 05:14:52 PM
Well, that's reason enough for me to give it a try! HAHA!

I thought so also,.   :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

Charlie Weiss

GordonGekko80

The Playbook - Netflix Documentary

Love the Doc Rivers and the Mourinho Episodes.