News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Dunleavy's draft surprises

Started by MightyGiants, April 27, 2024, 04:28:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

https://x.com/rydunleavy/status/1784318517816267041

Ryan Dunleavy
@rydunleavy
ยท
22s
#Giants draft is over. 3 surprises.

1. No QB (I think that's the right call after RD1)
2. Joe Schoen didn't move around the board at all. That's a big departure from the last 2 years.
3. No OL/DL. Another big departure.

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

On his first point... he himself admits he's not surprised, so why list it as a surprise?

Second point: the percentage of picks traded (versus picks not traded) throughout the NFL's long draft history is minuscule; as for the aspect that Schoen has been more active in the past, maybe THOSE were the aberrations and it's actually his style to stay put.

Third point: This is great news for the Giants. Unless Schoen got "aced out" by teams ahead of him and was actually trying his darnedest to get a guard (highly unlikely) it indicates that he is very pleased with his free-agency results and may also indicate that hey has reason to suspect several of his own drafted OL's are about to "come through" for the team this season. I do not believe I'm grasping at straws in mentioning the latter point.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

londonblue

On point 3 he is giving the FA and 2022 draftees at both OL and DL a chance to grow with a new OL coach/a hugely respected DL coach. There will probably be a UDFA or two but because of NIL we know depth is an issue so any extra real help is more likely to come from post Monday free agents who will not impact 2025 comp pick and later camp cuts.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

Doc16LT56

On point 3, Schoen had better be proven right on his free agent moves. This draft looks a lot like a Jerry Reese draft where they prioritize athletic ability. Those types of drafts don't always work out for the best as we've seen over the years.

I'm okay with their approach if only because the roster lacks game changing talent. But it's contingent on the free agent additions on the OL and DL playing well. There's a lot on the line for Daboll but also for Schoen. If the OL continues to fail he's going to get a lot of the blame.