News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

What is your long-term solution at LG?

Started by brownelvis54, April 21, 2024, 04:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Giant Obsession

Two more drafts with top 10 picks and I am confident we will find one.
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

AZGiantFan

Quote from: Jclayton92 on April 23, 2024, 03:27:11 PMBut why? We have holes everywhere, if we've solved the line, let's solve another problem.

We've solved the line?  When?  Everything you say about Jones counts 10x for the OL, including the fact that we have no idea how each will play this upcoming year.  And the line has been terrible for twice as long as Jones has been a Giant.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Jclayton92

Quote from: AZGiantFan on April 23, 2024, 08:55:05 PMWe've solved the line?  When?  Everything you say about Jones counts 10x for the OL, including the fact that we have no idea how each will play this upcoming year.  And the line has been terrible for twice as long as Jones has been a Giant.
No one mentioned Jones in this thread besides you. I've also always respected your takes on Jones even if I didn't agree, so I am unsure what he has to do with this or the need to add him to the conversation but ok.

I was simply saying after diverting 2 top 10 picks, a 2nd rd, a 3rd rd, and day 3 pick on the oline plus signing 4 guards with position flex, and getting a new line coach that i imagine barring injury the Giants likely assume they have the line solved for this upcoming season. Will it work? Who knows, but on paper we traded Ezeudu for Runyan, and Eluemunor for Mckethan. Are there still concerns, absolutely but what we have now is likely going to be it barring a UDFA signing, or if we sign Phillips once he's healed to be the swing.

So if they think the problem is solved then instead of drafting another guy to sit the bench with Ezeudu and Mckethan we should likely start fielding other areas of need.

AZGiantFan

Quote from: Jclayton92 on April 23, 2024, 10:35:25 PMNo one mentioned Jones in this thread besides you. I've also always respected your takes on Jones even if I didn't agree, so I am unsure what he has to do with this or the need to add him to the conversation but ok.

This is a message board, not a collection of thread silos.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Philosophers

Quote from: Jclayton92 on April 23, 2024, 06:03:22 PMHe actually was coming along in year 2 even with the injuries. I think our oline coach was horrible for him. I think he'll balance out as a solid tackle. Just our line makes people look worse than they are and that's happened for years now.

Where did you see him coming along?  If he improved so marginally but from such a deep hole I don't think it matters at all.

kingm56

Quote from: Philosophers on April 24, 2024, 08:28:44 AMWhere did you see him coming along?  If he improved so marginally but from such a deep hole I don't think it matters at all.

Yeah, Jess is right more than he's wrong and has been accurate with most of his analysis over the last few years.  However, on this rare occasion, I disagree with him.  To date, Neil has demonstrated poor twitch and lateral speed, which are areas that don't improve with time.  I believe there's a real possibility he moves to Guard in an effort to minimize the aforementioned shortcomings. He will always be a liability against speed edge rushers.     

Rosehill Jimmy

I'm not ready to pull the plug on Ezeudu just yet. Injuries and position shuffling have retarded his development imo.
"It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"

Jclayton92

Quote from: Philosophers on April 24, 2024, 08:28:44 AMWhere did you see him coming along?  If he improved so marginally but from such a deep hole I don't think it matters at all.
https://youtu.be/UD1mIhi-v1I?si=D7UcQ_4SA4OIkGBy

He was getting good reps in despite the turnstile next to him and at center. I think the oline coach was a ton of the problem, don't get me wrong Neal has warts but he can absolutely be serviceable if not a decent tackle with the right coaching and cohesion on the line. Nick Falato and those guys pointed it out above, but he was stringing along good reps until he got injured. He wasn't perfect but had good reps. Remember he's basically only played 1 season with the injuries.

Philosophers

Quote from: kingm56 on April 24, 2024, 09:37:17 AMYeah, Jess is right more than he's wrong and has been accurate with most of his analysis over the last few years.  However, on this rare occasion, I disagree with him.  To date, Neil has demonstrated poor twitch and lateral speed, which are areas that don't improve with time.  I believe there's a real possibility he moves to Guard in an effort to minimize the aforementioned shortcomings. He will always be a liability against speed edge rushers.   

You and Jess are two of my favorite posters here.  Neal simply does not get to the ideal spot to block a player at the most optimal time.  I am not sure if it is lateral quickness or slow processing once the snap is made but that part of his game has not improved and I don't think it can.  He may be better off as you noted to be inside in a more confined space.