News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

JJ McCarthy (could he be the Giants target in round one)?

Started by MightyGiants, February 02, 2024, 10:08:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Vette

Quote from: Philosophers on April 14, 2024, 09:08:02 AMWd - it's a multi read offense but if the primary read is open he goes to him.  You cant look at a highlight film of any QB because most throws will likely to first WR.

Why would most throws likely Go to the first WR in a highlight film?
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on April 14, 2024, 09:37:30 AMWhy would most throws likely Go to the first WR in a highlight film?

Why would you try to scout a player from a highlight film?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 14, 2024, 09:38:31 AMWhy would you try to scout a player from a highlight film?
I don't. It was a discussion we had based on observations from a podcast that you have supported multiple times. They gave a pretty fair evaluation btw.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Philosophers

Quote from: Ed Vette on April 14, 2024, 09:37:30 AMWhy would most throws likely Go to the first WR in a highlight film?

Highlight films typically show more explosive plays rather than mundane.  Best college teams have better talent so exploited faster on a play.

MightyGiants

Q. I'm curious, what do you look for? What's important for you when you do go through that quarterback process? I know a lot of people need to see them throw the -- some coaches say I need to hear them throw. When you go through that what's important to you?

MIKE KAFKA: There is a lot of things that are important to me in a quarterback. You know, leadership, just that ability to kind of control a room, control a huddle. That kind of "it" factor. You look for that. The more you talk to them the more you get comfortable with them.

A lot of times it's -- the first time you meet somebody it's like maybe one of the other parties may not be as comfortable, so you try to have these exposures with guys so you can really understand how they tick.

You want to understand what fires them up and what things maybe give them issues so you have a plan as a coach to build a guy up and how you can kind of prevent maybe some weak spots. If they have a weakness and I have a strength, I can cover up his weakness with my strength and vice versa.

You try to find that "it" factor with a guy you want to be around that you know is going to make the other guys better around him. Whether it's the quarterback room or another position, some guys just have that. I know we have that already in our quarterback room with Daniel, with Drew, with Tommy. Those are guys that command and do a hell of a job in the huddle and command the leadership of the team.

Those are guys you want to be around.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on April 16, 2024, 11:55:04 AMPaywall. Can you post the content of the article?

They have one for all the top QBs

Tier 2.5

J.J. McCarthy, Michigan
Most frequent scout/exec comp: Mix of Kirk Cousins and Brock Purdy

McCarthy is easily the most fascinating -- and polarizing -- quarterback prospect in the draft. Evaluators are truly all over the map. Some see elite talent, maybe the best long-term play of the group, while others see fringe first-round or even second-round talent. He's very close to Tier 2.

"I don't see him getting past [Pick] 5 or 6," an NFC exec said. "Definitely not getting out of the top 10. Anticipation, decision-making, preparation, coming from pro-style offense -- he's got a lot going for him. You see him process, go through progressions. That's an easier predictor of what it would look like at the NFL level."

Added a high-ranking NFL official: "I'm buying the hype that he goes high. He's got something to him from a leadership and makeup standpoint that resonates."

McCarthy gets the game manager label, having averaged 22.6 passing attempts per game over the past two seasons (29 games). That lack of in-game volume only heightened the scrutiny around McCarthy's pro day, where McCarthy "validated some things" with "one of the best pro days I've seen as a passer," according to one veteran NFL personnel evaluator.

"Movement ability, arm talent, laying the football, throwing off-platform. He did it all [at his pro day]," the evaluator said. As one NFL national scout put it, "[McCarthy] wasn't a game manager because they had to hide something -- he has high-level traits. It's more a function of Jim Harbaugh's offense. He's never been asked to throw 30-plus times a game but I think he can handle it." An AFC offensive coach counters: "[Former Michigan coach Jim] Harbaugh didn't trust him like he did Andrew Luck. When he makes a mistake, Harbaugh leans into the running game even more so during the flow of the game."

Multiple teams believe Minnesota or Denver could be trade-up options for McCarthy, who's considered a good fit in both places. He'd be best served to sit a year behind a veteran, per multiple scouts. McCarthy's 39.0 total QBR when under pressure was among the best of nearly 250 FBS quarterbacks with at least 25 starts over the past decade, trailing only Joe Burrow (49.0) and Trevor Lawrence (44.0). Stroud was tied with McCarthy at 39.0.

"I just don't see it," said an AFC scout of the McCarthy hype. "I don't see consistent accuracy, his ability to get it done inside the white lines, and [the Michigan staff] didn't call games or play offensively like they trusted him." But one reason he's rising? "What you're seeing now is the coaches and coordinators are more involved in the draft process [in March and April], and they are realizing, s---, he's a pro already," the NFC exec said. "And he showed more arm strength at his pro day than I thought he had."
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 16, 2024, 11:57:45 AMThey have one for all the top QBs

Tier 2.5

J.J. McCarthy, Michigan
Most frequent scout/exec comp: Mix of Kirk Cousins and Brock Purdy

McCarthy is easily the most fascinating -- and polarizing -- quarterback prospect in the draft. Evaluators are truly all over the map. Some see elite talent, maybe the best long-term play of the group, while others see fringe first-round or even second-round talent. He's very close to Tier 2.

"I don't see him getting past [Pick] 5 or 6," an NFC exec said. "Definitely not getting out of the top 10. Anticipation, decision-making, preparation, coming from pro-style offense -- he's got a lot going for him. You see him process, go through progressions. That's an easier predictor of what it would look like at the NFL level."

Added a high-ranking NFL official: "I'm buying the hype that he goes high. He's got something to him from a leadership and makeup standpoint that resonates."

McCarthy gets the game manager label, having averaged 22.6 passing attempts per game over the past two seasons (29 games). That lack of in-game volume only heightened the scrutiny around McCarthy's pro day, where McCarthy "validated some things" with "one of the best pro days I've seen as a passer," according to one veteran NFL personnel evaluator.

"Movement ability, arm talent, laying the football, throwing off-platform. He did it all [at his pro day]," the evaluator said. As one NFL national scout put it, "[McCarthy] wasn't a game manager because they had to hide something -- he has high-level traits. It's more a function of Jim Harbaugh's offense. He's never been asked to throw 30-plus times a game but I think he can handle it." An AFC offensive coach counters: "[Former Michigan coach Jim] Harbaugh didn't trust him like he did Andrew Luck. When he makes a mistake, Harbaugh leans into the running game even more so during the flow of the game."

Multiple teams believe Minnesota or Denver could be trade-up options for McCarthy, who's considered a good fit in both places. He'd be best served to sit a year behind a veteran, per multiple scouts. McCarthy's 39.0 total QBR when under pressure was among the best of nearly 250 FBS quarterbacks with at least 25 starts over the past decade, trailing only Joe Burrow (49.0) and Trevor Lawrence (44.0). Stroud was tied with McCarthy at 39.0.

"I just don't see it," said an AFC scout of the McCarthy hype. "I don't see consistent accuracy, his ability to get it done inside the white lines, and [the Michigan staff] didn't call games or play offensively like they trusted him." But one reason he's rising? "What you're seeing now is the coaches and coordinators are more involved in the draft process [in March and April], and they are realizing, s---, he's a pro already," the NFC exec said. "And he showed more arm strength at his pro day than I thought he had."

When somebody writes he showed more arm strength at his pro than he thought he had, that tells this person did not see him play.  His pro day was no different than in game. 

Philosophers

The closer we get to the draft, the more I am thinking that the Giants management/coaches see DJ as the starting QB and do not feel a need to draft a QB this year.  I also believe they realize this team has so many needs now that drafting a QB with so many holes is fruitless.  Look no further than how Mac Jones fell apart as the rest of his team did.  Giants need to load up on top end talent and shore up many holes.

My thoughts:

1) Trade up - < 10% probability
2) Stay put and draft a non-QB - 70%
3) Trade back and draft a non-QB - 20%

I don't think the Giants will draft a QB in a later round either as they have a young QB in Drew Lock.  Drafting a later round QB is basically only replacing him and they see that draft pick as being more important to upgrade another position.