News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NFT - 2024 NY MLB Teams Thread

Started by DaveBrown74, April 21, 2024, 06:28:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74

I know each year these baseball threads only get sporadic participation, but I figured I'd start one anyway now that the season has begun to start to take a little bit of form.

Full disclosure I'm a Mets fan, but as a NY sports fan in general I do follow the Yankees somewhat closely even though I'm not really rooting for them.

I do like Volpe though, and he is off to a great start after really struggling at the plate last year. I'll be watching him to see if he can keep it up.

The Mets have really surprised me. I had them down for about a 75-78 win type season, but they have quietly gone 12-3 in their last 15 after a brutal 0-5 start, and they have been thumping the Dodgers in LA recently, which is pretty legit. I still think this 2024 team has major question marks and I suspect the current hot play will cool off, but I'm enjoying this while it lasts.

With the NHL and MLB playoffs now underway and the NFL draft about to happen, I realize it's still too early to get materially into baseball, but I'm keeping a lazy eye on the early standings and I figured I'd get the thread started to see if anyone has any early opinions. And then we'll have this for the dog days when there is nothing else going on sports-wise.

Jolly Blue Giant

I'm in the same boat as you...love NY teams. Where we differ is I am a die-hard Yankee fan, but follow the Mets and wish them well. Yanks started out hot as the sun, but cooled off lately...and like the Mets, are already dealing with injuries to crucial players. Seems to be a pattern
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on April 21, 2024, 08:44:24 AMI'm in the same boat as you...love NY teams. Where we differ is I am a die-hard Yankee fan, but follow the Mets and wish them well. Yanks started out hot as the sun, but cooled off lately...and like the Mets, are already dealing with injuries to crucial players. Seems to be a pattern

I was maybe a little unlucky that my formative sports fan years (early/mid 80s) happened to be one of the few pockets of time in my lifetime where the Mets were materially better than the Yanks. I would have gotten a lot more joy from the Yankees, albeit the last decade or so hasn't been fantastic.

I have enjoyed watching some highlights of John Sterling's iconic HR calls in the days following his recent retirement. This video is great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPXU0ptGnTI