News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

What are we watching these days?

Started by LennG, September 02, 2020, 04:50:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennG

We have just finished watching Manifest. We started to watch the 3rd and last season as of now, On-Demand from NBC, but then we noticed that this last season is also now on Netflix, so we finished it up there. As I was expecting, there was a big cliffhanger to end this last season and as of now, the show is in limbo so we may never find out what happened.

As I have said in previous reviews, I still find this show OK, but so implausible, that at times, it is so silly, stupid, and unbelievable that I want to scream at it. AND, as I said last, my wife disagrees completely and she enjoys it all and just says to take it all in stride.

Anyone else watching this, I would LOVE to talk about it.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

MightyGiants

There were a few major series I missed out on and I am binge-watching them

1 Breaking Bad-  Great series, really enjoying it

2 Game of Thrones-  A bit slow but not bad

I have Sopranos if I run out of these two
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

LennG

Quote from: MightyGiants on August 25, 2021, 12:50:01 PM
There were a few major series I missed out on and I am binge-watching them

1 Breaking Bad-  Great series, really enjoying it

2 Game of Thrones-  A bit slow but not bad

I have Sopranos if I run out of these two

As has been said here MANY times, Breaking Bad could be the BEST show ever on TV. I fall into that category, as well as so many others. Just a joy to watch.

Where are you on GOT? I watched the entire series and I joined a discussion group to talk about each show after it was on, for years. I just never heard anyone describe it as 'slow'. Call it what you want, but it is in the top 5 of all-time great TV series, except for the final season, which myself and many GOT fans wanted to be redone. It just looked rushed to get out and the final build-up, well I won't say more, but I LOVED this series.

I was late to the Sopranos. I didn't have HBO and when it was on that was the only way to see it. So I had to wait until it came out on DVD and then binged watched entire seasons. Like the last 2, it will always show up in the top 5 series of all time. Just a terrific watch, great acting, stories, and again, an enjoyable time all around.

(After you finish Breaking Bad, watch Better Call Saul. Just another wonderful series that is a great sort of prelude to BB. Same writers, same terrific people, pace and humor along with just great acting and that wonderful cinematography. If you liked Bb, you will like this also.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

With all this Afghanistan doings these days, I had on my wish list with Netflix a TRUE war story about a detachment of Americans in Afghanistan in 2005, keeping tabs on the Taliban and held their ground when they were attacked by overwhelming Taliban forces,

'The Outpost'     https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3833480/

Just a great movie to watch if you like a good old-fashioned war movie. As I said, it is a true story when a base of Americans may be 50 men, many of who have never seen combat, are attacked and almost overwhelmed by the Taliban. It is a war movie so it isn't glossed over but no gore and some blood.
The movie shows how the Americans went out of their way to try and befriend the locals but for nothing, as they always sided with the Taliban, even killing their own people to collect a reward that the US pays for dead family members. The US bends over backward not to stir the pot, but the Taliban rule and attack.

I won't go into detail about the battle, but if you watch the movie, watch it after the movie is over and thru the credits. The actual soldiers who were part of the fight,  several portrayed themselves in the movie, retell some of their stories.
In this battle, two of the soldiers earned the Medal of Honor, the only time 2 soldiers from the same battle and sirvived, earned the MOH.

I highly recommend this movie if you are into this genre of movie.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

Just chugging along trying to find more and more interesting things to watch.

As I have said many times, what I really like to watch isn't what my darling wife likes to watch, so we compromise on several things.

We have been watching an anthology series on Prime called 'Modern Love'. We are into the second season now. Each show is 1/2 hour and they are all independent of the others, as each has its own story to tell. In the final show from season 1, many of the stories are tied together, but that was not meant for anything important.
So each episode is a sort of story about some form of 'love', the happiness, the sorrow, the joy, and sometimes the pain of love. Don't get me wrong, it is not heavy but it is also not as light as we thought it would be. It is very hard to describe as each show is different but I would recommend it for a nice watch with your significant other or just with the family as there is no sex, little cursing, just stories about love.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/modern_love

Charlie Weiss

LennG

This past month on TCM, they have their usual summer of stars where they feature one star every day and they fun their films all day.

So a week ago they had Lee Marvin as the star of the fay. I have always liked Lee Marvin in many of his movies, so I copied a couple and watched them this past week.

Cat Ballou--one of my all-time favorite movies and one where Lee Marvin won the Best Actor Oscar. Funny, as I haven't seen this movie in quite a while and thoroughly enjoyed rewatching it. Just a laugh-out-loud funny movie and what may have been Marvin's only shot at a comedy and he wins the best actor for playing really 3 parts.

Point Blank--just a movie that basically made Lee Marvin a big-time actor.  Just a terrific role as a sort of gangster who went to jail and after coming out wants his share of the money he went to jail over. His 'chase' to get his share and the way he goes about it--great watch and Angie Dickenson ain't bad wither.

Highly recommend both movies especially if you've never seen them.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

So, I have a lot of time on my hands to keep watching. Hope some of this helps others.

Saturday is usually a day for me to sort of catch up on things that either I have DVRed or some movie that my darling wife won't watch.

So I got an email from a friend who just watched a newer release on Netflix. An action movie (right up my alley) calls "SAS: Red Notice"   https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4479380/ starring who knows anyone and we'll leave it at that. I looked it up and saw it didn't get great reviews but it was something I would be interested in, so what the hell, let's watch it.

Overall, it tries to be a cheap imitation of 'Die Hard' with the lone soldier trying to stave off a hijacking of the Eurostar train under the English Channel between London and Paris. Our hero goes thru so much to try and save his future wife, but Bruce Willis did it better. It does take a while for the hijacking to occur as they need to mix in all the government corruption that is taking place, but once they get control of the train and our hero is alone fighting them, it does take off.
The lady who is the villain is very good as said villain. I liked her a lot (not as a real villain, but her performance was good, and evil). She has no qualms about just shooting anyone.
Not to give any more away, I did enjoy the movie, as I said, this is right in my wheelhouse. I can see why it didn't get really good ratings, but if you enjoy movies like this (Die-hard type), you will enjoy this one. Plenty of action, mucho killings, very little blood, no gore, and lots of action right to the final fight.

If this is your thing, I would recommend it.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

So, the time to watch 'my' movies was over and the time to watch with my darling wife was upon us, Saturday night double feature.

This needs a post of its own. We looked at what is supposed to be good on Netflix and saw the movie 'He's All That'   https://flixpatrol.com/title/hes-all-that/. a supposedly romantic comedy, which would be right up my darling wife's alley, so why not give it a shot, it isn't costing us anything--right---------WRONG. Monetarily it didn't cost us anything but time-wise it did and the 30 minutes we spent watching this drivel were 30 minutes in our lives we will never get back.
For some, this might be entertaining as it is clearly made for teens and young teens at that. For some people in their 70's I had absolutely no idea what this entire thing was about, couldn't understand what they were doing, and most of what I saw was about tweeting, and phones, and just plain nonsense. When this young lady, who is what the movie is about, talks to her mother, who looks like she was her sister and not a mother, well. As much as we watched, I didn't see anyone supposedly over the age of 16, we had to give up. I'm surprised we lasted a full 1/2 hour into this nonsense.
Again, if this is your thing, it may be a good movie, as it is wildly popular on Netflix right now, but for us--no thank you.

So the night is still young, and we still had to find something to watch. On investigating Netflix for another sort of romantic comedy we came up with this, supposedly the #1 movie being watched on Netflix right now,  "Afterlife of the Party"    https://flixpatrol.com/title/afterlife-of-the-party/.

We watched the trailer and thought this MIGHT be (had to be) better than the previous one. It was, to an extent. Another movie made for young people, but not that bubblegummy type. This one is about a young lady who is a bit obnoxious, gets drunk, hits her head on the toilet, and dies Bit that is not the end, she awakes to find herself in the company of her fairy godmother or something like that. She is informed she is in the middle, not heaven, not hell, but in order to make her way to heaven, she has to sort of atone for past failures, to 3 people in her life. I won't even go into detail, but there are some cute parts. This really should have been on the Hallmark Channel instead. I did doze off a couple of times and really never missed much but my wife liked it a lot. (She loves the Hallmark Channel). So if you enjoy a movie like this, a silly, sort of feel-good movie, that you know is going to have a happy ending, then you will enjoy this movie. The young lady who stars is cute and she plays her part well.
To me is was all too corny but to each their own.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

I am keeping up my movie watching. Because of the Jewish Holidays, we do not watch TV My darling wife will explain it to you if you really want to know), but last night I wanted to watch something, so I watched a new release (it is fairly new) 'The Marksman' with Liam Neeson and no one else I really know.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6902332/
The last movie I watched with Neesom, Ice Road Trucker (I think that was the name) was maybe the worst Liam Neesom movie I had seen. This one was better, but still not what I might expect from an actor with his talent and resume. Watching him in this movie, I just kept thinking this would be a perfect tole for Clint Eastwood, were he a few years younger.
So Neesom is this 'old' Marine from Viet Nam, living near the border between the US and Mexico. He comes on a young woman fleeing the Cartel has a brief skirmish with some of the Cartels in the US. The woman gets shot, but he promises her he will take the boy to Chicago to his family there. So the movie is his journey to Chicago with a carload of Mexican cartel people in hot pursuit. You know it's going to build to a big climactic shootout, but it does take some time to do so.

Again, why Neesom is opting for these 'old man' roles is beyond me. His talent oversees these roles and, as I said, this would have been perfect for Clint if he were a few years younger.

The Marksman is a silly title and overall the movie is average. It wasn't terrible and if you like this type of movie, you will probably like it.

It is not for children, even young teens.

Charlie Weiss

ozzie

Here is a teaser for the reboot of Dexter.
This is the first I've seen of it. I think it looks pretty interesting. No Showtime for me though, so I'll have to hope it gets to Netflix soon.
Premieres on Showtime Nov 7.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/dexter-new-blood-trailer-reveals-what-became-of-dexter-s-son/ar-AAOgRXC?li=BBnb2gh
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

LennG

With this 20th anniversary of 9/11, there are just a plethora of shows to make us recall that day and some of the aftermath. You just cannot watch all of them, so we have settled on a 6 part series on the National Geographic channel "9/11--One Day In America"  (https://www.nationalgeographic.com/tv/).

We are thru episode 3 when the towers have just fallen and there is just so much stuff that we didn't know, or maybe just have forgotten.  This show is more about the people from 9/11. It starts with the NYFD personnel who were out doing a news piece on a gas leak that was being filmed for a documentary when it actually filmed the first plane hitting the Tower and their immediate response. It tells of many people who were trapped, many people who stopped to help others. I find it fascinating and not dwelling on other things.
It was truly a sad day and we will always remember what we were doing when e heard, but it is also a day of courage, bravery, and a day we must never shrug off as a bad thing.

Charlie Weiss

squibber

Lenn,

I think this youtube video with Liam Neeson, Jimmy Kimmel and Guillermo is hillarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMg-hUNKPKs

LennG

Quote from: squibber on September 11, 2021, 04:14:44 PM
Lenn,

I think this youtube video with Liam Neeson, Jimmy Kimmel and Guillermo is hillarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMg-hUNKPKs
I never saw that but I agree, truly funny.

Charlie Weiss

DaveBrown74

I recommend "Impeachment: An American Crime Story."

Excellent re-enactment of the Monica Lewinsky/Bill Clinton scandal. It is told mainly from Lewinsky's perspective. Seems very well done so far. Has very good actors like Sarah Paulson and Clive Owen, among others. It is on the FX channel here in NY. Episode three is tonight at 10pm.

LennG

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on September 21, 2021, 08:28:56 PM
I recommend "Impeachment: An American Crime Story."

Excellent re-enactment of the Monica Lewinsky/Bill Clinton scandal. It is told mainly from Lewinsky's perspective. Seems very well done so far. Has very good actors like Sarah Paulson and Clive Owen, among others. It is on the FX channel here in NY. Episode three is tonight at 10pm.

Sounds like something I would be interested in. I'll check it out.

Charlie Weiss