News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Andru Phillips, Kentucky, CB, scouting reports

Started by MightyGiants, April 26, 2024, 09:50:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbadger

Quote from: bamagiantfan on April 26, 2024, 10:48:46 PMI agree, they need a RB but another small back would not have been my choice. They have several of those now.

I think you will get your wish for a RB before the draft is over, and there are better players than Corum out there to be had. Whoops! THere goes Lloyd. Still 4-5 backs who I would like to see in Giants colors.

I'd argue that Michigan's national championship had much more to do with Blake Corum than JJ McCarthy, and I don't really think that it's debatable. There are running backs out there but the talent drops off quickly after the top three. IMHO Corum would have been our best back day one and we have plenty of bodies at the position just not a lot of talent. I'm more frustrated than anything else right now. We suck on offense so let's use most of our draft capital on defense.

Rosehill Jimmy

Quote from: madbadger on April 26, 2024, 10:29:52 PMComing into the draft the defense had three holes. DT, CB and safety. On offense we neeed
What do I want? I want a F-ing offense that isn't a complete embarrassment for a 10th year in a row. The Giants have three young corners. How about we wait to see how the develop before drafting another one that didn't have a single interception during his time in college. Listen he's Giant now so I hope he's successful but when you have an offensive minded coach you might want to play to his strengths. Frankly I'm just pissed at the prospect of watching our defense put the team in a position to win only to lose because we can put points on the board.

I'm confused. If the needs on D were DT, CB and Safety and we addressed 2 of them why is that a bad thing?  There's still tomorrow when we can hopefully get some offensive contributors
"It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

madbadger

Quote from: Rosehill Jimmy on April 26, 2024, 10:59:49 PMI'm confused. If the needs on D were DT, CB and Safety and we addressed 2 of them why is that a bad thing?  There's still tomorrow when we can hopefully get some offensive contributors

It isn't. I love Nubin pick. Wished they had taken one of the top three running backs and Corum was still on the board. It's probably more of a reaction at knowing our offense is going to painful to watch again.

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

H-Town G-Fan

Quote from: madbadger on April 26, 2024, 11:05:34 PMIt isn't. I love Nubin pick. Wished they had taken one of the top three running backs and Corum was still on the board. It's probably more of a reaction at knowing our offense is going to painful to watch again.

Whether you like it or not, they have Gray from last year's draft and signed Devin Singletary. It's a low draft value position and they--at least in their minds--have it filled barring some unforeseen circumstance. Also, if this re-build is longer than one offseason (which it assuredly is), there is next year's draft. Yes, 2024 may be painful... but was there a way to fix that in one draft cycle? I'm not positive that spending a premium pick on a RB would have accomplished a legitimate goal.

TONKA56

londonblue

There are still lots of TEs and RBs available so Phillips was a sensible pick. He is versatile in/out which matters in Bowen's system and he tackles well enough which is also a Bowen priority. Lack of ball production is not ideal but he adds depth and competition to a unit with more Qs than As.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

uconnjack8

Quote from: madbadger on April 26, 2024, 09:53:19 PMI don't get it. Coming into the draft the defense was clearly better than the offense and we chose to use three of our first four picks to add to the defense. I guess they're just lanning on winning games 14-10. Not knocking adding Burns, Nubin or Phillips. Just doesn't make sense to me.

I am surprised by using all 3 2nd day picks on defense as well.   Thought one of them would be an offensive player.  I like the picks they made but I still found it surprising they are all on one side of the ball.

Hopefully they are able to grab a TE who can contribute on day 3.

DaveBrown74

I get the bewilderment over the seeming focus on defense, but I feel like sometimes things just unfold the way they unfold in drafts, and you try to play the hand you're dealt in as advantageous a way as you can. Free agency is where you have more control, and the Giants clearly made offensive line a focal point in free agency. Yes, they also picked up a very expensive defensive player, but that was a cornerstone piece, and there aren't many occasions where you can get a 25 year old genuine star without giving up a 1, which is what the Giants managed to do there. The rest of free agency was all about offense (O line, TE, and RB), and they used their most valuable pick by far on offense.

I don't think they should have used a top 50 pick on a running back this year. I don't mind doing that if the team is better, but we just have too many other needs, and RB is a position that can be addressed in rounds three through five most years. Should we have taken one in the third round? Perhaps, but corner is a big need, and corner is not a day three position whereas RB can be.

I'm not saying what the Giants have done is perfect by any means or that it won't later be proven that they made mistakes, but I don't think you can go into a draft with a strict positional plan beyond the first round and really beyond the top 10. Stuff happens in drafts that you can't plan for, and good GMs are the ones who have different plans for different situations, not ones who are stuck on one gameplan and just take whatever player they can find to fit that exact gameplan, even if it's a reach.

madbadger

Quote from: TONKA56 on April 27, 2024, 05:48:50 AMBraelon Allen is still available I think.

No thank you. Runs too soft, is always banged up and has rabbit ears. Not a good fit.

TONKA56

Quote from: madbadger on April 27, 2024, 08:46:42 AMNo thank you. Runs too soft, is always banged up and has rabbit ears. Not a good fit.

Rabbit ears?

uconnjack8

Quote from: TONKA56 on April 27, 2024, 08:49:58 AMRabbit ears?

Yes it's amazing they put how prospects receive television signals in a scouting report.  Definitely a red flag he doesnt use streaming.

TONKA56

Quote from: uconnjack8 on April 27, 2024, 08:53:26 AMYes it's amazing they put how prospects receive television signals in a scouting report.  Definitely a red flag he doesnt use streaming.

Lol. Yeah I'm not sure what that means. 

TONKA56

Quote from: H-Town G-Fan on April 27, 2024, 12:00:41 AMWhether you like it or not, they have Gray from last year's draft and signed Devin Singletary. It's a low draft value position and they--at least in their minds--have it filled barring some unforeseen circumstance. Also, if this re-build is longer than one offseason (which it assuredly is), there is next year's draft. Yes, 2024 may be painful... but was there a way to fix that in one draft cycle? I'm not positive that spending a premium pick on a RB would have accomplished a legitimate goal.

We will get to see how valuable the running back position is this season. I have no confidence in our backfield right now. I wasn't a big fan even before Barkley left.