News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Did Mara actually "love" drafting Daniel Jones?

Started by MightyGiants, May 04, 2024, 10:41:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Ric Serritella has a weekly newsletter in which he interviews David Gettleman.  Here is an excerpt of that newsletter

At and near the bottom, Gettleman complains about draft-media grades being listened to by GMs (He seemed very upset with the Athletic's Dane Brugler, who is well respected by NFL people).  Seeing how the only recent owner Gettleman worked with was Mara (and Tisch), perhaps John Mara wasn't impressed by the grades the Giants received for drafting Daniel Jones 6th overall.  When I think about it, I saw a lot of speculation of John Mara loving Daniel Jones (the theory being he was similar to Eli Manning) but I can't recall a smoking gun or actual factual evidence to support that speculation.

https://x.com/clt_ny/status/1786740194638446598

If you would like to subscribe to the newsletter, here is the link.

https://x.com/RicSerritella/status/1786756699333837187
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Here is another part of the interview.  I would suggest what Gettleman witnessed is how little the NFL thought of him.  If Gettleman's experience, knowledge, and opinions were good, I think he would still have NFL people seeking him out.  If he had made true friends in the NFL I suspect this wouldn't have happened as well.

"You know, really and truly, I miss the people. It's kind of fascinating," he said. "People told me it would take me at least a year to get settled, and they were absolutely right on the money. It's amazing how the emails, texts, and calls stop. It's like you died."

https://giantswire.usatoday.com/2024/05/05/ex-new-york-giants-gm-dave-gettleman-goes-off-on-media-clowns/?taid=66375e97e0be9300019dd73f&utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=twitter
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Fletch

I think Mara is very conservative with ideas like moving on from QBs. The elder Mara, Wellington was like that too with Kerry Collins. Although I think of recent QBs retaining Eli ; Kurt Warner; Kerry Collins vs. retaining Daniel jones made a whole lot more sense. All 3 prior were significantly better QBs with Kerry Collins still playing the pre pass friendly ero of the NFL mostly.

B1GBLUE

not for nothing but i feel this is a big reason why we didnt reach for jj or penix. it would have literally been the same thing all over again, and taking a qb just to take one. i think caleb or maye are the only two we would have taken, had one of them fallen.

MightyGiants

Quote from: B1GBLUE on May 06, 2024, 07:58:21 AMnot for nothing but i feel this is a big reason why we didnt reach for jj or penix. it would have literally been the same thing all over again, and taking a qb just to take one. i think caleb or maye are the only two we would have taken, had one of them fallen.

Drafting just to draft a QB no longer sets a franchise back 5 years or so.  It still sets the franchise back two or three years.  With the historically low success rate (less than 50%) of first-round QBs, dating a QB hoping they will prove to be a franchise QB is not a good idea.  With the 6th pick (and with an elite WR prospect available), it would be akin to malpractice to ignore the elite prospect and reach for a QB prospect, hoping that they turn out (rather expecting) to be a franchise-caliber QB.

For what it's worth, I heard Jordan Raanan say the Giants were also high on Jayden Daniels.  So, presumably, the Giants would take a QB if one of the top three were available to them. 
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

B1GBLUE

Quote from: MightyGiants on May 06, 2024, 08:28:17 AMDrafting just to draft a QB no longer sets a franchise back 5 years or so.  It still sets the franchise back two or three years.  With the historically low success rate (less than 50%) of first-round QBs, dating a QB hoping they will prove to be a franchise QB is not a good idea.  With the 6th pick (and with an elite WR prospect available), it would be akin to malpractice to ignore the elite prospect and reach for a QB prospect, hoping that they turn out (rather expecting) to be a franchise-caliber QB.

For what it's worth, I heard Jordan Raanan say the Giants were also high on Jayden Daniels.  So, presumably, the Giants would take a QB if one of the top three were available to them. 

i agree. you dont pass on a "as definite as possible" like nabers, for a guy that most likely will be selling real estate in a few years.

Painter

I don't necessarily disagree with Gettleman's opinion re so called, "media experts". However, I must remind our resident cognoscenti that on the very day that John Mara announced his decision to continue with the family history of cronyism, I suggested that he and his bloviating crony were "clowns".

On that basis, I don't give a flying you know what for what any Mara thinks or does regarding anything other than the choice of a GM and practice field attire. On a positive note, however, at least he is not Jerrah Jones.

Cheers!