News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

The best I can discern of the Giants draft intentions

Started by MightyGiants, April 23, 2024, 09:01:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbadger

Quote from: Philosophers on April 23, 2024, 11:29:19 AMHow much time does Schoen thinks he has left in his Giants tenure?  If less he may swing for the fences this year and gamble on a QB.

IMHO both Schoen and Daboll are going to get at least four years, especially after they squeezed a playoff appearance out of a relatively untalented team. Mara is on record as saying that we can't continue to keep cycling through head coaches every three years. I suppose Daboll could be gone at the end of the year if he becomes more dictatorial and erratic than this past year but I think Schoen is safe.

H-Town G-Fan

Quote from: madbadger on April 23, 2024, 11:52:48 AMIMHO both Schoen and Daboll are going to get at least four years, especially after they squeezed a playoff appearance out of a relatively untalented team. Mara is on record as saying that we can't continue to keep cycling through head coaches every three years. I suppose Daboll could be gone at the end of the year if he becomes more dictatorial and erratic than this past year but I think Schoen is safe.

I can only see Daboll gone with not just a bad season, but a nuclear meltdown season. Everything has to go wrong and he has to respond to it poorly. Outside of that, I think he gets year 4 (now a survivably-bad season might make the question of him getting a second contract more murky, but that's a different concept).

I agree Schoen is going to get more rope, as this roster was laughably bad and poorly constructed when he came to the team. His first draft class is just entering their third season. There is some promise in that group (Kayvon, Wan'Dale, Flott, Belton, McFadden), even with warts (Neal, Ezeudu), that I think you give him the benefit of the doubt.

sooners56

So they are taking a QB or a WR! Pretty sure that has been the sentiment for awhile now as it just makes too much sense.
Ain't nothing to it but to do it!

Philosophers

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 23, 2024, 11:45:58 AMThis reminds me of the Brandon Beane quote about moving up to draft Josh Allen:

"I mean, we got criticized a little bit for how much we gave up for Josh. And I'm like, 'Well, if he doesn't work out, I'm not going to be here anyway. And if he does work out, nobody's gonna give a s–t,'" said Beane

https://x.com/danfetes/status/1762569393723019735

That quote is what got me thinking of how Schoen views his future tenure.

spiderblue43

They need a great boundary receiver..go up..get it talent. Odunze is an obvious choice

Philosophers

Quote from: spiderblue43 on April 23, 2024, 01:53:41 PMThey need a great boundary receiver..go up..get it talent. Odunze is an obvious choice

They do for sure.  I am not sure it has to be a 6'2" or 6'3" size WR.  Remember Hakeem Nicks was only 6'0" and OBJ was only 5'11" and they played X.  Both could as you said "go up and get it."  Odunze is logical for sure.  So is Brian Thomas.

Malik Nabers has the hands and explosiveness to go up to get it.  My question continues to be with him is how much of his LSU production was from the X as opposed to the slot?  I read in multiple places he played slot 50% of the time.  If his production was 70% out of only 50% from the slot, that would not be a good fact.

Jclayton92

katkavage

Quote from: Jclayton92 on April 23, 2024, 04:05:15 PMhttps://www.bigblueview.com/2024/4/23/24138434/nfl-analyst-issues-impassioned-defense-of-giants-coach-brian-daboll-nfl-draft

Great article on why going Qb wouldn't be a bad move from an analyst that was in Buffalo for the Daboll-Allen start.
There many obvious reasons why it would be a good move, but the most obvious is that the Giants don't have real quality at the position that is the most important in the sport.

Jclayton92

I think the only intriguing question left that we haven't discussed is if JJ or any Qb is there at 6 and we trade back with the Vikings for 11 and 23 who are you taking? My answer would definitely likely surprise.

Giant Obsession

If they draft a QB it will show how tight our shortguse HC and Shoen are.

If no QB, will that is Shoen telling "shortfuse" you're on your own son.

Shoen's jpb is secure for at least a couple more years, maybe 3.

Shortfuse, the sands are running thru the hourglass.
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

AZGiantFan

Quote from: coggs on April 23, 2024, 09:28:28 AM"....on THEIR terms...." is the key, and I 100% agree.  If think if they felt one of these guys was another Peyton, Brady, Mahomes.  A perennial MVP candidate who will at worst have his team in the play-offs almost every year, they would give up as much as they need to to get him.  Think they view all these guys as, "They will be better than Jones, but not worth selling the farm."

The Giants have never had a QB like that in the Superbowl era.  Just sayin'.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

coggs

Quote from: AZGiantFan on April 23, 2024, 08:59:04 PMThe Giants have never had a QB like that in the Superbowl era.  Just sayin'.
I am aware.  Few teams have, which is why I think if one of these guys fit that, they would do whatever they can to try to get him.

AZGiantFan

Quote from: coggs on April 24, 2024, 07:08:57 PMI am aware.  Few teams have, which is why I think if one of these guys fit that, they would do whatever they can to try to get him.

That may be.  But my point was that we won 4 Superbowls without ever having one.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Uncle Mickey

Looking into my little crystal ball I would loooooooove the Giants to secure QB1. =D>  Poor Daniel unfortunately has sustained too many injuries and is a greater risk with that neck moving forward. :hurt:

These Emoji's as the little kiddies would say are FIRE

sxdxca38

As tight lipped as the Giants are, I think they are leaking draft intentions of wanting a QB one week prior, so that QB needy teams get anxious and trade up ahead of them, which leaves the GMEN with several of the best non QB prospects to pick from.

Get ready for an explosive WR, but that is just my opinion, we will have to see how this transpires.