News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NFT: NY Rangers 2023 - 2024 Season

Started by Jaime, August 25, 2023, 12:58:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EDjohnst1981

I also thought Quick would be an absolute seive but his been playing very well.

kartanoman

Quote from: EDjohnst1981 on November 13, 2023, 07:45:31 AMI also thought Quick would be an absolute seive but his been playing very well.

Compare where the Rangers were last year, at this time, with Halak, versus now, with Quick, and keeping in mind they finished third in the division last year, imagine the possibilities should they get at least 80% of the goaltending that Quick has given them up to this point.

Right now, they could have sent Igor home for a two week break and not a single eyelash would have been batted. I haven't seen this good of a tandem since Richter and Healy, and these two may even be better.

But the cup isn't won in November and, by March, we'll long forget about this outstanding start to the season. But let me say that it has been a long time for me to see the Rangers this far ahead in the standings as we approach the holidays seasons.

Hoping they enjoy it but come back ready to take on the Devils in Jersey for what will be their biggest matchup of this early season so far.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

DaveBrown74

Quote from: kartanoman on November 13, 2023, 08:13:41 AMCompare where the Rangers were last year, at this time, with Halak, versus now, with Quick, and keeping in mind they finished third in the division last year, imagine the possibilities should they get at least 80% of the goaltending that Quick has given them up to this point.

Right now, they could have sent Igor home for a two week break and not a single eyelash would have been batted. I haven't seen this good of a tandem since Richter and Healy, and these two may even be better.

But the cup isn't won in November and, by March, we'll long forget about this outstanding start to the season. But let me say that it has been a long time for me to see the Rangers this far ahead in the standings as we approach the holidays seasons.

Hoping they enjoy it but come back ready to take on the Devils in Jersey for what will be their biggest matchup of this early season so far.

Peace!

Good points Kart. Ranger fans should feel very good about the way things are going so far, but not only is the regular season a slog, but regular season hockey might as well be a different sport than playoff hockey. We know we have guys on this team who are notorious for shutting down in the playoffs despite being studs in the regular season. I don't need to name names. Can this coach change that? Remains to be seen. But there is nothing wrong with enjoying the ride that we are presently on.

Messiah717

Considering the injuries and Mika doing little to nothing the Rangers should be thrilled by this start. 

Gmo11

They're doing everything they didn't do last year.  They will never be able to sustain this pace, and last night they damn near lost to a less than stellar Columbus team, but right now they're hot, Laffy is hot, Quick is hot, and lets ride this wave for as long as it lasts.  And when the other shoe does drop at least they'll have built up enough of a cushion to where it won't matter as much.

kartanoman

Quote from: Gmo11 on November 13, 2023, 01:57:20 PMThey're doing everything they didn't do last year.  They will never be able to sustain this pace, and last night they damn near lost to a less than stellar Columbus team, but right now they're hot, Laffy is hot, Quick is hot, and lets ride this wave for as long as it lasts.  And when the other shoe does drop at least they'll have built up enough of a cushion to where it won't matter as much.

Columbus seems to have their number this season. But it's really no secret, is it? Take the physical game to them, rough up their vulnerable players (e.g. Lindgren). Then, throw in a few questionable calls by the referee, and this is a game the Rangers lose last year. But they kept fighting and never quit to the final siren. They find their opportunity at 59:10 of the game and cash in. Tell me that isn't the difference in a new head coach. Further, Quickie kept them in the game to make that play the game tying goal.

Is this streak a realistic expectation to continue? Of course not. All these teams at the top right now, the Rangers, Bruins, Stars and Golden Knights will have their slumps. But so will the teams below them chasing them feverishly right now just to keep pace.

The Rangers need to use this week to heal up and get fresh for the onslaught of games coming at them next week which will directly threaten their consecutive point streak. No matter their current condition, Jersey will look forward to hosting them on Saturday. Will that be a carry over from last year's playoffs?

As I said before, we'll long forget the five game sweep of the Western Canadian Road Trip when March rolls along and the Rangers are positioning themselves for the playoffs against Carolina and New Jersey. They've already snagged one on their southern rivals and hope to do the same for their heated rivals across the bay.

With the Giants' season over, having the Rangers play this brand of hockey has more than filled up the fall time slots for me and hopefully for some of you all. No matter what may come for them in April and May, right now they are fun and enjoyable to watch. I'll take that anytime.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

Gmo11

Any chance Chytil and/or Lindgren are back after this mini break? I'm pretty sure Fox is gonna need a little more time.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Gmo11 on November 14, 2023, 07:08:47 AMAny chance Chytil and/or Lindgren are back after this mini break? I'm pretty sure Fox is gonna need a little more time.

Not sure.

What about Shesty? I know Quick has been good, but I question whether he can sustain it if he's playing every game?

Giant Jim

Anyone understand why Will Cuylle's goal was disallowed? I thought the ref's explanation didn't make any sense.

Gmo11

Quote from: Giant Jim on November 14, 2023, 02:17:58 PMAnyone understand why Will Cuylle's goal was disallowed? I thought the ref's explanation didn't make any sense.

Shenanigans?  There was no real explanation for that.  It was clearly a goal.  Regardless of camera angle they all showed it was a goal.  Inexplicable to not rule that a goal.  Between that and a plethora of missed calls in that 3rd period really makes you scratch your head.  Fortunately they were able to overcome all of that.

Jaime

The deciding key for allowing a disputed Goal is when did the whistle blow and is there clear visual evidence that the Puck crossed the Goal Line prior the Whistle sounding. In both cases, I thought there was clear evidence that the whistle had not blown and the Puck had crossed the Goal Line.
I too thought the reasoning for "NO Goal" was unacceptable by the Referee.

Huge Tilt on tap tonite at the Rock in Newark, NJ. Devils superstar Hughes has already played this week and should be rounding into form.
Was thinking Shesty and Chytil might return to the LIneup. During Chytil's absence, Marchand was superb scoring Goals, throwing the body (as well as his fists), he was superior on the Dot,  clocked at 63%. Our Former Norris Trophy winner,  Adam Fox suffered a strained MCL  knee ligament (and just guessing) Fox has at least another week - ten days before returning to the Lineup.

files58

Quote from: Jaime on November 18, 2023, 04:20:25 PMThe deciding key for allowing a disputed Goal is when did the whistle blow and is there clear visual evidence that the Puck crossed the Goal Line prior the Whistle sounding. In both cases, I thought there was clear evidence that the whistle had not blown and the Puck had crossed the Goal Line.
I too thought the reasoning for "NO Goal" was unacceptable by the Referee.

Huge Tilt on tap tonite at the Rock in Newark, NJ. Devils superstar Hughes has already played this week and should be rounding into form.
Was thinking Shesty and Chytil might return to the LIneup. During Chytil's absence, Marchand was superb scoring Goals, throwing the body (as well as his fists), he was superior on the Dot,  clocked at 63%. Our Former Norris Trophy winner,  Adam Fox suffered a strained MCL  knee ligament (and just guessing) Fox has at least another week - ten days before returning to the Lineup.

So tonight the whistle blew and they allowed the Devil goal. Even though the Devils scored on the PP that was a beautiful hit by Trochek on J. Hughes. Every time J Hughes is on the ice he should be the recipient of some rough physical play. A body check, a cute slash to the ankle, a chop on the wrist(I don't care about penalties), shoot the dam puck at him with the appearance that it's part of the normal course of the game. As a Ranger fan I want him diminished or out. Period. Go ahead and call me whatever. Yeah I know he's good for the game, the only thing I care about is what's good for the Ranger's game.

Jaime

For some unkown reason the MSG feed wasn't avail tonite ~X(
I had to listen to some squeaky voiced play by play guy, and Ken Dynako ( who I respect for his playing style and his no-frills broadcasting).
In a nutshell 2-2 in the 1st, Shesty visibly rusty.  He shook that off. Plenty of  hard hitting 2nd with both Goalies standing on their head. No scoring.
enter 3rd tied, Devs score 5 mins in. More end to end hockey, with big hits and big stops. Then (been watching NHL for 55 years and never saw this) a Faceoff to the left of their Goalie. Typical scrum, the Puck moves two feet and lays there, nobody touches the Puck.  Then Bread swoops in and buries a forehand wrist shot on the short side over the Goalie's glove hand.  Oh baby!!!

A few mins. later a scramble in front of the Devs Goal, a weird rebound Has Jimy Vesey collect a rebound, spin around and throw a lazy backhand into an open Net for the Game Winner. Two mins remained, Devs pull their Goalie, oops. An empty netter seals the deal.  We score three unanswered Goals in the 3rd. With the Devils feed, I got to watch our former Assistant Coach Lindy Ruff's presser. He was really a bit emotionally shook up, and after a couple of questions, he said thankyou, and abruptly walked away from the podium.. Our come from behind Win, sure took the wind out of his sails. We play the Devs three more times this season.

Bread deserves his own paragraph for this highlight. Two goals and a helper has allowed him to break Rod Gilbert's record that has stood since 1973, for the most games in a row with  Points  to start the Season.

Gmo11

Panarin is off to an MVP type start to the season. I read on twitter that he has a point on 53% of all the goals the Rangers have scored this season.

Tonight was a game they could have easily lost once they went down early in the 3rd. And last year they probably do lose it. I was already feeling it that these damn devils just have the Rangers number. Thinking how important it is to not see them in the playoffs. But then Shesty knocking the rust off after a shaky first period and Panarins twisted wrister perfectly placed over the glove shoulder had me believing again.

Also a shout-out to then 4th line. Not just veseys 2 goals but numerous other shifts where they kept the pressure on and the puck in the offensive zone. Recent years that 4th line has been a liability... But not this year. This team finally goes 4 lines deep.

kartanoman

Quote from: Jaime on November 18, 2023, 10:37:03 PMFor some unkown reason the MSG feed wasn't avail tonite ~X(
I had to listen to some squeaky voiced play by play guy, and Ken Dynako ( who I respect for his playing style and his no-frills broadcasting).
In a nutshell 2-2 in the 1st, Shesty visibly rusty.  He shook that off. Plenty of  hard hitting 2nd with both Goalies standing on their head. No scoring.
enter 3rd tied, Devs score 5 mins in. More end to end hockey, with big hits and big stops. Then (been watching NHL for 55 years and never saw this) a Faceoff to the left of their Goalie. Typical scrum, the Puck moves two feet and lays there, nobody touches the Puck.  Then Bread swoops in and buries a forehand wrist shot on the short side over the Goalie's glove hand.  Oh baby!!!

A few mins. later a scramble in front of the Devs Goal, a weird rebound Has Jimy Vesey collect a rebound, spin around and throw a lazy backhand into an open Net for the Game Winner. Two mins remained, Devs pull their Goalie, oops. An empty netter seals the deal.  We score three unanswered Goals in the 3rd. With the Devils feed, I got to watch our former Assistant Coach Lindy Ruff's presser. He was really a bit emotionally shook up, and after a couple of questions, he said thankyou, and abruptly walked away from the podium.. Our come from behind Win, sure took the wind out of his sails. We play the Devs three more times this season.

Bread deserves his own paragraph for this highlight. Two goals and a helper has allowed him to break Rod Gilbert's record that has stood since 1973, for the most games in a row with  Points  to start the Season.

The ESPN+ stream had Sam and Joe and both were in great form after the long break.

After Igor shook off the rust, in the first period, he made a mountain of outstanding saves. Both goalies were outstanding, in fact, all game.

Jack had a decent game in returning for the Devils; however, Igor and the Rangers' D kept him from becoming a menace all game long. The Devils were missing a few other big names in their lineup but in no way does that diminish the Rangers' accomplishment last night.

But Panarin's freak goal, to tie the game at three, completely took the momentum from the Devils and gave the Rangers the shot in the arm they needed to take the game over. Up to that point, the 3-2 Devils' lead was playing out like games three or four of last season's playoff round between the two teams. The Bread Man's magical goal, however, was the tide turner they needed so bad last season that they didn't get. But he did last night to move past the "Greatest Ranger of Them All" to score in each of the opening 15 games this season.

Lots of Rangers fans in Newark last in their building to make it feel like home. I always love it when our team invades enemy territory and steals their building to make it our own. I may try to do that when the boys come out here to play the Coyotes the day after my birthday in late March.

10-0-1 in their last 11, with division leading Dallas Stars up next, the challenge to keep pace with Boston continues.

Peace!