News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Everything COVID-19

Started by MightyGiants, July 11, 2020, 07:46:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

umassgrad

Quote from: LennG on July 17, 2020, 07:12:21 PM
Didn't the Mueller probe basically say there was collusion with Russia? Sorry but that is what I came away with, no matter how much he denies it.

AND, obviously, I have no proof, but at the time, I would have bet my bottom dollar that the Russians interfered with some of the votes in PA. The vote was so close and all they had to do was make a 'few changes' in some remote polling place to swing the state to Trump. And don't say it couldn't have happened? It could have and IMVHO it did. yes, I cannot prove it, but you also can't say positively it didn't go down that way.
I agree Lenn, I saw it as collusion as well. Trump called it a hoax so his cult followed orders and saw it that way as well.

LennG

Trump says he won't issue national mask mandate

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-says-he-wont-issue-national-mask-mandate/ar-BB16SGBt?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=mailsignout

""I don't agree with the statement that if everyone wore a mask, everything disappears," Trump said, referring to Wallace's mention of the director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) saying that the country could get the virus under control in four to six weeks if everyone wore a mask.

"Dr. [Anthony] Fauci said don't wear a mask, our surgeon general - terrific guy - said don't wear a mask. Everybody was saying don't wear a mask, all of a sudden everybody's got to wear a mask," Trump continued. "And as you know, masks cause problems too.

You know, a long time ago they thought the world was flat until it was proven not to be. You can't live in the past and just continue to say things that have bee n proven wrong. Is this the best he can do? At the time, that is what scientists believe, now that has proven wrong, but this guy continues his one line circus. Instead of complimenting Fauci and the others for making progress on an unknown, he dismissed them as being wrong, wrong, wrong when clearly they have learned and are now correct, at least the present time frame. In 6 months they may be wrong again, but they have open minds and continue to learn while others pine the time away living in some twilight zone where they will wake up and it will all be a dream.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Bob In PA

Quote from: LennG on July 17, 2020, 07:07:32 PM
Bob

When he does something good they WILL comment on it, when he does something stupid they will also comment on it.
A La 10% good=90% bad.

Arithmetic is simple when you understand the math.    :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

Lenn: Bad time for a joke, which also doubles as a poor excuse to explain such outright bias.  90/10 (it's actually much worse... I was being lenient).  If they did that to Obama you would have crapped your pants.

Further, the media fawned all over Obama's wife for eight years.  With Trump's wife, they've pissed on her every opportunity they got.  Or did she ALSO deserve to be punished in this manner? 

It's about time you admit the media has been inordinately unfair.  Today, for example, it is reported the New York Times published a story they have yet to withdraw which contains EIGHT OR NINE clear errors. 

Bet you didn't hear that on CBS, NBC, ABC, PBS, CNN or MSNBC or read it in the Times or WaPost.  You're in a "media bubble." Like the stock market bubbles, people IN the bubble are always unaware of it.

https://justthenews.com/accountability/russia-and-ukraine-scandals/just-released-trump-russia-documents-show-anti-trump

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Bob In PA

Didn't the Mueller probe basically say there was collusion with Russia? Sorry but that is what I came away with, no matter how much he denies it.

AND, obviously, I have no proof, but at the time, I would have bet my bottom dollar that the Russians interfered with some of the votes in PA. The vote was so close and all they had to do was make a 'few changes' in some remote polling place to swing the state to Trump. And don't say it couldn't have happened? It could have and IMVHO it did. yes, I cannot prove it, but you also can't say positively it didn't go down that way.

Lenn: That's because you live in a "media bubble."  The media that surrounds you only reports ONE SIDE of the news.  Leave your cocoon once in a while and listen to the other side. Bob

Bob In PA

Lenn: I would bet MY bottom dollar Obama was born in Kenya.  That's what you sound like to me.  Bob

Bob In PA

Quote from: LennG on July 17, 2020, 07:14:16 PM
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/jimmy-carter-trump-didnt-win-2016-election-russians-interfered

Jimmy Carter says investigation would show Trump didn't win 2016 election: He's in office 'because Russians interfered'

This isn't where I got my own opinion, but I am not the only one who thought this way.

Lenn: That article was published June 28, 2019.  The Mueller report became public AFTER Carter's interview.  Carter's statement was a mere guess or prognostication.  He guessed wrong.  Bob

philo43

Scientists identify six different types of coronavirus with increasing severity levels

https://news.yahoo.com/scientists-identify-six-different-types-185531392.html

"Six distinct types of coronavirus have been identified by scientists in a breakthrough that promises to save lives by flagging the highest-risk patients."

LennG

Quote from: Bob In PA on July 17, 2020, 10:49:14 PM
Lenn: That's because you live in a "media bubble."  The media that surrounds you only reports ONE SIDE of the news.  Leave your cocoon once in a while and listen to the other side. Bob

Bob

call it what you want, I live in in the NY metro area and I get my news from several sources, probably mostly Liberal, but several conservative sources also, so I would classify myself as well rounded, regardless of what you may think. Myself, I have several fairly conservative views on certain things as well. I have said many times I seek what interests me and what the truth really is.
One thing I know for a certainty, and this is not Liberal Len speaking, is that Trump is, without a doubt the worst President that ever inhabited the WH. We have never seen such a liar about everything. We have never seen anyone deal with major problems like him and screw them all up.
To be honest, I didn't vote for Obama, I was never a huge fan but he was a respectable President, didn't embarrass himself and his country everywhere he went and he tried to do good for our entire country. Trump, on the other hand, is just an embarrassment period.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

Quote from: Bob In PA on July 17, 2020, 11:45:46 PM
Lenn: That article was published June 28, 2019.  The Mueller report became public AFTER Carter's interview.  Carter's statement was a mere guess or prognostication.  He guessed wrong.  Bob

What I quoted was NOT in any reference to the Mueller probe. I was a statement and some thoughts from someone, who used to be 'in the know' and shares some of the exact same thoughts as I do. Jimmy Carter may never be remembered as a 'good' President, but he was still part of the environment in Washington and knows a lot of what we simply don't.

Charlie Weiss

MightyGiants

Quote from: philo43 on July 18, 2020, 11:49:55 AM
Scientists identify six different types of coronavirus with increasing severity levels

https://news.yahoo.com/scientists-identify-six-different-types-185531392.html

"Six distinct types of coronavirus have been identified by scientists in a breakthrough that promises to save lives by flagging the highest-risk patients."

Interesting read, Philo, thank you.   I am less the comfortable for the wording "different types of Coronavirus" as a more accurate description would be "different types of Coronavirus infections" as the study doesn't lay claim that these are different Covid viruses.  As with any medical/scientific study, this one comes with the "prepublish" disclaimer that means reader beware it's not peer reviewed.    Still, I saw nothing in the study that seems off or out of place.  Although I think those that conducted the study may be overselling the benefits a bit.

I would also recommend this article as it goes into greater detail

https://covid.joinzoe.com/post/covid-clusters
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

I appreciate the reality deniers will say "oh this is the NYTs so don't believe a word they say" for the rest of you this is a long and outstanding article that gives us a detailed inside look at the Trump's and the White House's response to this deadly virus.  You may have to sign up for a FREE account to read it

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/18/us/politics/trump-coronavirus-response-failure-leadership.html?auth=login-email&login=email
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

This is somewhat disturbing news

Israeli doctor reinfected with coronavirus 3 months after recovering
This is the second case at Sheba Medical Center in which a patient recovered from the virus and was subsequently reinfected.

https://www.jpost.com/health-science/israeli-doctor-reinfected-with-coronavirus-3-months-after-recovering-635550
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

LennG

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 19, 2020, 04:22:05 PM
This is somewhat disturbing news

Israeli doctor reinfected with coronavirus 3 months after recovering
This is the second case at Sheba Medical Center in which a patient recovered from the virus and was subsequently reinfected.

https://www.jpost.com/health-science/israeli-doctor-reinfected-with-coronavirus-3-months-after-recovering-635550

I do not have a link, but I did read somewhere, the other day, that certain doctors felt that the antibodies that one might get after having the Virus, dissipate after a certain period of time, or just get weaker with time.
I'll look for the link, but that fits perfectly into what you just posted.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

try this

COVID-19 Antibodies May Fade Quickly. What this Means for Herd Immunity

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/covid-19-antibodies-may-fade-quickly-what-this-means-for-herd-immunity

There is just so much the doctors and scientists just don't know and are still learning on the fly.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

I just read this and was amazed at how accurate this was. I have a feeling it will get trashed as does everything that doesn't fit into many agendas, but please, if you have a few minutes, read the entire thing.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/health-news/the-crisis-that-shocked-the-world-americas-response-to-the-coronavirus/ar-BB16WaBS?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=mailsignout

It does call out the Trump administration for not acting early enough and then for trying to get states to reopen early, but I also found very telling was the reports on how unprepared this country was for anything like this. Be it the Trump administration, that cut funding for things like this, or maybe even the Obama administration for also not getting us prepared for anything like this. Whatever the reason we weren't ready when we should have been.

You just can't go on denying that the virus wasn't thought of as 'that' bad early on so too many people ignored it. I also found telling and I think this wasn't pounded enough, people from parts of the country, where there wasn't any virus cases, said, "OK, we'll try staying in for a while", but after a time frame, still nothing changed, they started going about their regular routines. This is where the President and his administration let us down by not having a National policy about the virus and then kicking it back to the Governors. That's OK for each state, but when one state says do this and then another says you don't have to do that, do this instead, this is where all the trouble starts. Like it says, Ohioans looked at other states going out and partying and said, why not us also. Then the infections start and finger-pointing starts.

I don't care who agrees with me or not, the country needed a leader for the entire country and Trump let this country down. This woman  MIGHT be alive today if we had followed the lead of other countries, made it mandatory to do certain things, followed through on these things, and waited. Sure it would have been painful, but we would not be where we are today.
You know, maybe what bothers me the most is that people STILL believe that this is a hoax, nothing more than the flu and we need to forget about it and go about our regular business. Sorry, but this comes from the top, the President needed to rally America, make everyone feel safe and set a policy to defeat this virus. But, to this day, he still hasn't acted. We still have no national policy like so many other countries do, we are polarized between red and blue and each refusing to give an inch.

Does anyone think this would have happened under Roosevelt's tenure?

Charlie Weiss