News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

More On the Lab Leak Hypothesis

Started by jimmyz, May 24, 2021, 12:13:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Quote from: Bob In PA on May 27, 2021, 02:30:14 PM
.... and I find it ironic that you try to characterize your preoccupation with politics as a desire to eliminate political threads.  Bob

One of the reasons we did away with political threads is because it inflames people's passions.  You and others wouldn't be so passionate about promoting and defending this thread if it weren't political.   I can tell you if someone objected to my thread about 60s TV shows I would have zero emotional investment in protecting that thread.

It's ONLY because it's political that you are so passionate about this thread (especially in light of being already discussed in a previous thread that was locked thread for its political content)

Edit to add, I went to outside here to confirm that despite you claims to the contrary this was a political thread:

I went to Reddit's subforum for Conservatives.   Their mission statement:

QuoteMission Statement:

We provide a place on Reddit for conservatives, both fiscal and social, to read and discuss political and cultural issues from a distinctly conservative point of view.

I counted 11 threads hyping or discussing of the China lab incident theory in just the past 24 hours alone.  For a "non-political topic" it sure was popular among people who share your political points of view

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

bldevil

This is an editorial from David Leonhardt, of the NYTimes, from today.  I think it's a worthwhile read and summarizes many of the points made here on both sides of the debate.  If you didn't already know, Leonhardt most assuredly occupies a left-of-center viewpoint:

"
May 27, 2021   

By David Leonhardt

Good morning. The lab-leak theory is everywhere. We have an explainer.

Suddenly, talk of the Wuhan lab-leak theory seems to be everywhere.

President Biden yesterday called on U.S. intelligence officials to
"17-14 fellas.  One touchdown and we are world champions.  Believe it and it will happen!  17-14 is the final.  Let's go!"  Michael Strahan, with 2:39 remaining in SB42.

MightyGiants

Bdevil,

There was literally nothing new in that article.  I am honestly curious, if you guys are not over hyping a remote possibility for political gain, what is the point of repeating the same things over and over across the 9 pages of this thread and however many pages of the first thread on the same topic?

Nevermind I found my answer

The Covid-19 origin story has massive political consequences
Stephen Collinson Profile
Analysis by Stephen Collinson, CNN

Updated 12:32 AM ET, Thu May 27, 2021

Quote(CNN)A growing storm over the origins in China of Covid-19 has explosive political implications for the United States at home and abroad, as well as the dueling legacies of two presidents that will be defined by the pandemic.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/27/politics/biden-trump-china-coronavirus-origins/index.html

This former advisor to Mike Pence also explains this political thread and why you guys repeat yourself over and over again promoting the lab theory

Considering the abuse to which the intelligence process was subjected during the last year of the Trump administration, there are ample reasons for Biden to ask for a new, updated report on how SARS-CoV-2 came to be.

The true origins of the virus may never be known. But as long as there are political points to be scored, many alumni of the Trump administration don
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Woody

Unfortunately, every function of the Federal Government ( including this study underway by Biden ) has a political slant to it.
Politics dominates Washington and an honest debate on anything is very difficult and nearly impossible to happen.
So to blame or discard points of view by

MightyGiants

Quote from: Woody on May 29, 2021, 08:01:01 AM
Unfortunately, every function of the Federal Government ( including this study underway by Biden ) has a political slant to it.
Politics dominates Washington and an honest debate on anything is very difficult and nearly impossible to happen.
So to blame or discard points of view by
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Woody

With your conclusion on what you perceive I am going to conclude on this mater just proves my point that politics plays a roll in all discussions including yours.
Pompeo saying something without proof or sources ? Dare I mention 4 year Russian collusion with no proof ? Or is that another right wing conspiracy theory? 
Or was The Trump admin. just covering it up ? I think I might know your answer to that question. Both sides play politics in everything and Washington is a reflection of the American people , on that I agree.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Woody on May 29, 2021, 08:51:18 AM
With your conclusion on what you perceive I am going to conclude on this mater just proves my point that politics plays a roll in all discussions including yours.
Pompeo saying something without proof or sources ? Dare I mention 4 year Russian collusion with no proof ? Or is that another right wing conspiracy theory? 
Or was The Trump admin. just covering it up ? I think I might know your answer to that question. Both sides play politics in everything and Washington is a reflection of the American people , on that I agree.

Woody,

It seems you and people who share your far-right views (like your claim that the left is a political party and they are the party of hate) seemed to have mastered the Soviet Union's "what about" propaganda tool (I even had someone try to use that to defend the anti-American traitors who attacked our capital on January 6th).    What I will give you credit for is using false equivalency to disguise your whataboutism.

In case you are unfamiliar with the term whataboutism John Oliver does a great job explaining it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS82JNd0YzQ

What was glaring in its omission in your "well both sides/whataboutism" statement was addressing the issue that you will ONLY accept the results of the Covid investigation if it supports your political agenda

Edit to add:  I find it amazing how Republicans and right-wingers like to claim that Muller found Trump innocent when he found Trump had obstructed justice and it was that obstruction of justice/coverup which prevented Muller from finding definitive proof of Trump's collusion with Russia
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

brownelvis54

Not sure what to think of this:

British Professor Angus Dalgleish and Norwegian scientist Dr. Birger S
The KING is in the building

MightyGiants

Quote from: brownelvis54 on May 29, 2021, 11:45:12 PM

www.foxnews.com/world/explosive-study-claims-to-prove-chinese-scientists-created-covid

I think after the terror attack of January 6th, consuming the anti-American propaganda spewed by FOX "News" is unwise and frankly something a patriotic American shouldn't be doing
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on May 30, 2021, 07:56:04 AM
I think after the terror attack of January 6th, consuming the anti-American propaganda spewed by FOX "News" is unwise and frankly something a patriotic American should be doing
Rich: Nothing scientific in this post. Just pure, unadulterated political bias. "It must be wrong, it came from the Fox News website."  Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

MightyGiants

Quote from: Bob In PA on May 30, 2021, 08:07:46 AM
Rich: Nothing scientific in this post. Just pure, unadulterated political bias. "It must be wrong, it came from the Fox News website."  Bob

Bob,

If you are getting your "science" from FOX "news", you are only fooling yourself
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Woody

(null)
So if everything on Fox News is fake  . Which networks are not fake news and should be relied on for accurate information? Just asking what others watch or where they  get information.
I watch Fox and others

MightyGiants

Quote from: Woody on May 30, 2021, 08:31:48 AM
(null)
So if everything on Fox News is fake  . Which networks are not fake news and should be relied on for accurate information? Just asking what others watch or where they  get information.
I watch Fox and others
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

The topic is the origin of the virus.  Give us a list of "lies" from Fox News about the virus. Or would you have to look to the main stream media, the New York Times and the Washington Post for those?  Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

MightyGiants

Quote from: Bob In PA on May 30, 2021, 08:51:43 AM
The topic is the origin of the virus.  Give us a list of "lies" from Fox News about the virus. Or would you have to look to the main stream media, the New York Times and the Washington Post for those?  Bob

Bob,

We have already witnessed FOX news lie about something as important as election integrity to further their political agenda.    Only a foot would think they wouldn't lie about the origins of the virus to further those same political agendas.

Here is the thing about trust, once you get caught betraying the nation by telling harmful lies, you don't get a presumption of truth-telling after that
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE