News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Super Sonic Transport is Back!

Started by Jolly Blue Giant, August 17, 2022, 07:01:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jolly Blue Giant

Never heard of the plane manufacturer in Texas called Boom Technology, but they have designed, built, and tested a new type of SST that runs on SAF (sustainable aviation fuel). SAF is a biofuel used to power aircraft that has similar properties to conventional jet fuel but with a smaller carbon footprint and is derived from plants. They have also solved the perplexing "sonic boom" problem so that it won't ruffle the feathers of a jittery public

American Airlines put down a deposit for 20 planes with an option for 40 more and United Airlines already has as many as 50 ordered

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoSNLQ5NGoc

https://nypost.com/2022/08/16/american-airlines-to-buy-supersonic-boom-jets/

Should note also that Aerion Supersonic (out of Fort Dallas) and Spike Aerospace (out of Boston) are testing similar models. Aerion is specializing in 10 passenger business jets. Spike's model will have no windows, but dozens of micro cameras that show a video of the outside so that it looks like you're looking out a windew. Regardless, I thought supersonic transport was dead, but it's not only alive, they are being built and the major airlines are buying them up.

Here's a picture of Spike's supersonic plane

The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

LennG

I used to live in a section of Queens, called Rosedale, which is basically right behind Kennedy airport. We lived there for 17 years and planes flew so low over our house at times, that we could literally see the people in the windows. When they introduced the Concorde and said it wasn't any louder than any other jet, they had to be kidding. That plane flew over our house once a day and again, literally, the windows shook and rattled when it did. That plan was so much louder and more violent than any other jet at that time, and it wasn't even close.
When they finally stopped it, I praised the Lord.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Jolly Blue Giant

France has jumped into the competition with a Mach 3+ passenger jet

[NY Post]
"A newly designed supersonic jet would be able to fly passengers from New York City to London in just 80 minutes.

Dubbed the Hyper Sting, the conceptual plane would be nearly twice as large and travel twice as fast as the world's last commercial supersonic jet, Concorde, which was retired in 2003.

The Hyper Sting, at 328 feet long with a 168-foot wingspan, would dart up to 170 passengers across the Atlantic and beyond at speeds of 2,486mph — more than three times the speed of sound.

'Concorde was a brilliant piece of machinery, a noble experiment, but it put too many emissions in the environment, too much noise into our communities, and was too expensive to operate,' the Spanish designer of the craft, Oscar Viñals, told The U.S. Sun.

Two ramjet engines powered by a small nuclear reactor would propel the jet to its incredible speeds. It would additionally require the use of a cold-fusion nuclear reactor, which to date is still a theoretical concept, The Sun reported.

'A new era of supersonic flight might be just around the corner, but there are challenges to overcome when it comes to flying faster than the speed of sound,' Viñals said.

Viñals is also behind the designs of other large-scale, high-speed flight projects, including the Sky Whale and Big Bird. He decided to scale back his massive plane designs with the Hyper Sting and instead focus on designing a high-speed jet that could whizzing through the air in the near future."

The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh: