News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NFT: NY Rangers 2023 - 2024 Season

Started by Jaime, August 25, 2023, 12:58:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74

Guess the plan is to run it all back next season and hope for a different result.

Messiah717

Atleast it's one year with little increase so if he breaks out great if not it is was it is.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Messiah717 on June 13, 2024, 06:24:20 PMAtleast it's one year with little increase so if he breaks out great if not it is was it is.

That's a fair point. I don't have an issue with bringing Kakko back. We're starved for right wingers, and let's face it - Drury is terrified of dealing him for pennies on the dollar only to have him blossom into an 80-100 point player for someone else like JT Miller.

It's more just that we can't alter our veteran core even if we want to. Being trapped in these no trade deals for so many guys is really tough. I'm not suggesting I'd go nuts and gut the team or anything -- not at all -- but to not even have the option of moving a number of these guys if an interested counterparty comes along with a good offer is not the most nimble way to run a franchise.

Messiah717

That's the problem.  You give these guys huge money and then also bend to these full no trade or limited no trade deals. 

coggs

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on June 13, 2024, 05:14:49 PMGuess the plan is to run it all back next season and hope for a different result.
Signing a 23 year old RFA to their qualifying offer for 1 year tells you this?  Interesting.

coggs

Quote from: Messiah717 on June 02, 2024, 12:06:32 PMKakko is a bust and needs to go.  He's a second overall pick that's a third liner.  Chytil unfortunately will never be healthy and is like Lindros always one bad hit away.

Trouba is grossly overpaid and has become a defensive liability.  Miller needs someone to wake him up because he too big and talented to be such a non-factor.  Fox I'm tired of the yearly he must be playing hurt bull crap. 

The big three of Mika, Panarin and Kreider are let's face it losers.  Always the same story with them in the playoffs where they can't be counted on. 

I guess we should face it, McDavid is a loser?  He hasn't scored a goal yet and his team is down 3-0.  Is he a loser?

Gmo11

Florida was the best team in the league post trade deadline and managed to play like it throughout the playoffs.  The Rangers, and more speciically Igor, gave them their most trouble it seems.  Boston was solid too but both went 6 and the Rangers could have easily picked up another game if not for some piss poor refereeing.  I don't know if we realized just how great Florida is. They are going to have to make some tough decisions given the salary cap situation they've got going on but they were the best team and deserved to win it. 

Rangers were not far behind and a couple decent tweaks this offseason and they should be right back in this thing.  I don't think they need to blow the whole thing up.

kartanoman

I guess we ALL are losers since we follow a loser team and all we talk about are losers.

Who do we want to nominate as the captain of our loser peanut gallery?

Now I'm going to find myself a 🪣 of water and dunk my head in it since I've made my first true loser post.

BTW, that second period last night was no different than any previous Florida playoff game. Superior coaching, superior execution, intimidation when needed. Any questions?

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

coggs

"Of all the things that have the Oilers on the brink of elimination, lack of production from their big guns is high on the list."---Michael Russo and Daniel Nugent-Bowman, The Athletic.

I assume that includes McDavid?  So, I guess he is a loser?  Nine years, no cups?  Guess time for Edmonton to dump him?  Certainly wouldn't want him on the Rangers.   ::)  /sarcasm/

Messiah717

Since #1 apologist can't resist making a fool of himself I'll list the numbers.  It's not just about a single Florida series.  Here are Panarin and Mika's career playoff numbers.

Panarin 73 Games 21 goals 40 assists 61 points.

Zibanejad 74 Games 19 goals 44 assists 63 points.

Mcdavid 70 Games 34 goals 75 assists 109 points. 

Instead of cherry picking a series and then running to beat your chest thinking you're right maybe see what the overall numbers show first.  Zibanejad had three goals this playoff run. He constantly disappears in the playoffs.  Then there's Panarin who went from dominant in the regular season back to an East/West game in the playoffs. 

DaveBrown74

Quote from: coggs on June 14, 2024, 08:56:16 AMSigning a 23 year old RFA to their qualifying offer for 1 year tells you this?  Interesting.

Which relevant, core vet players that have been on the team for at least three season do you see not returning?

coggs

Quote from: Messiah717 on June 14, 2024, 02:37:03 PMSince #1 apologist can't resist making a fool of himself I'll list the numbers.  It's not just about a single Florida series.  Here are Panarin and Mika's career playoff numbers.

Panarin 73 Games 21 goals 40 assists 61 points.

Zibanejad 74 Games 19 goals 44 assists 63 points.

Mcdavid 70 Games 34 goals 75 assists 109 points. 

Instead of cherry picking a series and then running to beat your chest thinking you're right maybe see what the overall numbers show first.  Zibanejad had three goals this playoff run. He constantly disappears in the playoffs.  Then there's Panarin who went from dominant in the regular season back to an East/West game in the playoffs. 
Go back and look at the series where Edmonton lost since he was drafted.  I know, he scored a huge goal saturday night.

coggs

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on June 14, 2024, 02:57:38 PMWhich relevant, core vet players that have been on the team for at least three season do you see not returning?
Considering they are all signed and have NTC/NMCs, not sure how anyone can answer that honestly.  Did you want them to just not qualify Kakko and lose him for nothing?  However, if I had to guess it would be Trouba.  Only a $2MM cap hit for 4 years if he is bought out.  Although, the complaining about not replacing his physicality next season will be entertaining. 

I have seen rumors that Ottawa is willing to move Tkachuck, so I am sure some will say Drury has to get him regardless of cost.  Some will say they should offer Kakko and a 5th.  Ottawa fans will tell you the package needs to start with Laf, Schneider, and two 1sts.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: coggs on June 18, 2024, 10:19:41 AMDid you want them to just not qualify Kakko and lose him for nothing? 

Didn't say that. You are making inferences. My original comment was just a general one. 

I have no real issue with bringing Kakko back. We're not deep at all at RW, so it's fine. It's not like we're loaded with alternatives.

I do think this is a make or break year for him though. He needs to at least get back to 2022/23 type production. This past year was pretty poor, even factoring in the injuries. He's going into year six now as a pro. 35-40 points should be the floor, not the ceiling.