News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Do the Giants have a QB controversy?

Started by DaveBrown74, October 22, 2023, 08:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BluesCruz

jones is indecicive

he is slow to process the defense, and the open receivers

he throws behind receivers often

he cannot bring himself to throw a long 50/50 pass

he is not a vocal leader, but a nice guy who says all the right things

stop defending the indefensible

he was a 40 million dollar mistake....likely pushed by Mara

lets call a spade a spade

Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

AZGiantFan

Quote from: katkavage on October 23, 2023, 07:39:35 AMI'm sure they would play Jones based on what their financial investment is in him. As I've said, there is very little difference between the two with the exception of age. Jones is faster, bigger, but Taylor is a smarter QB and better at the long throw and making decisions. They both have to endure a bad offensive line and questionable play calling. The fan base, though, if Jones struggles, will howl for Taylor. The reality is if that the Giants need to find a QB where there will be no controversy. That won't happen for awhile though.

I dispute that.  A smart QB doesn't check into a run with 14 seconds left in the half with no timeouts when he could easily have 2, maybe even 3, passes into the end zone - and even if they were unsuccessful, still kick a FG.  A 35 year old veteran.  I can't remember Jones doing anything nearly that dumb.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

coggs

I am not going to read the entire thread.  It is painfully amazing how far the bar has dropped.  Taylor was slightly better than terrible the past 2 weeks. 

EDjohnst1981

Quote from: coggs on October 23, 2023, 09:11:16 PMI am not going to read the entire thread.  It is painfully amazing how far the bar has dropped.  Taylor was slightly better than terrible the past 2 weeks. 

Yes, the bar has dropped, significantly. Taylor threw for 279. A figure that Jones has only eclipsed 3 times in his last 21 regular season starts.

Of course people are going to have their head turned.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: EDjohnst1981 on October 24, 2023, 05:09:21 AMYes, the bar has dropped, significantly. Taylor threw for 279. A figure that Jones has only eclipsed 3 times in his last 21 regular season starts.

Correct. It's been a very long time since we have had genuinely good QB play on this team. You're going back to the Obama administration at this point.

B1GBLUE

Quote from: Jclayton92 on October 23, 2023, 04:34:26 PMSo just to clarify in the event that Jones starts next week.

Do people think the line drastically changed in 2 weeks and are suddenly something they haven't been all season?

The reason I asked is because Taylor produced and a lot of the reasoning I'm seeing for his performance is that the line is somehow better despite having the same players + a guy off his couch.

So this coming weekend if Jones does start and we do end up with another sub 200 yard game and no explosive plays, will Oline be the blame again?

I think the oline definitely took a step forward. whether it had anything to do with tyrod or not.. maybe a little. but guys are just playing better and not getting beat off the snap. i dont really see how a different qb makes you block better for the first 1.5 seconds.

Honestly, i think you sit jones this game. the jets have a NASTY d. From a political standpoint, the strategy would be sit jones. because if you play him, against THAT d, and he has a terrible game (likely), then you have a full blown qb controversy on your hands. If tyrod puts up a stinker, it re-establishes jones as the starter. If he plays REALLY well...you have your answer. Tyrod is now qb1. we play a pretty beatable oakland team the following week. good game for jones to come back in. I can guarantee you management has this exact thinking. They cant let this qb controversy thing become a distraction.

kingm56

Quote from: EDjohnst1981 on October 24, 2023, 05:09:21 AMYes, the bar has dropped, significantly. Taylor threw for 279. A figure that Jones has only eclipsed 3 times in his last 21 regular season starts.

DJ only had 8x 300+ games in 3 seasons in college too, despite playing in a conference voided of elite defenses; he has never been an above-average passer...

BluesCruz

Quote from: Jclayton92 on October 22, 2023, 08:30:48 PMIn 4 games and 3/4ths of a game Jones has 884 passing yards 2 tds 6 int and a 71.7 rating.

In 2 games and a 1/4th tyrod taylor has 571 passing yards 2 tds 0 int and a 95.4 rating. Not to mention he hadn't played any meaningful snaps in 2+ years.

Doesn't seem the controversial or even a question to me. One has the offense moving up and down the field with explosive plays and the other goes 3 and out consistently throwing short of the sticks.

Not to mention it's amazing how well the defense plays when they know there is a qb in that can move the offense and they know they have a chance.

you read my mind exactly
$ and contracts should take a back seat to winning

We need to ride the TT wave until it disolves, if it disolves, then give jones a redemption chance.  this team needs a sustained win streak    nothing succeeds like success

the offense was growing cobwebs with Jones at the helm.  The man refuses to throw the ball deep and when he tries he is inaccurate.  Likely since he does not practice the lemondrop pass

DaveBrown74

Quote from: B1GBLUE on October 24, 2023, 07:30:52 AMI think the oline definitely took a step forward. whether it had anything to do with tyrod or not.. maybe a little. but guys are just playing better and not getting beat off the snap. i dont really see how a different qb makes you block better for the first 1.5 seconds.

I think a QB himself will directly impact the kind of defensive looks he sees. A QB whose usual first instinct is to check it down to the closest receiver at the first whiff of impending pressure is going to be treated differently by the opposing D than a QB who looks downfield and is a constant threat to go to guys like Slayton and Hyatt deep, including very quickly after the snap. I think that is the part of the analysis here that may be getting lost.

AZGiantFan

Quote from: coggs on October 23, 2023, 09:11:16 PMI am not going to read the entire thread.  It is painfully amazing how far the bar has dropped.  Taylor was slightly better than terrible the past 2 weeks. 

As was Saquon.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

BluesCruz

The Giants are in a bind

They guaranteed 40 million to a guy who to take a line from the movie Meet the Parents- "Is afraid to throw the ball"

I think if TT continues to win and look sharp, Jones is going to have a "prolonged recovery"

Im convinced now Jones is a back-up quality QB.  Perhaps all the coaching he got to throw the ball to the short target by endless new coaching staffs took its toll

Remember "Danny Dimes" who threw into infinitely small windows....hes been coached out of existence

EDjohnst1981

Quote from: BluesCruz on October 25, 2023, 03:54:31 PMThe Giants are in a bind.

Remember "Danny Dimes" who threw into infinitely small windows....hes been coached out of existence

Yes, that and the league has potentially figured him out.

Completely agree, I think they are in a bind. 

Jclayton92

He'll be on the team in 2024, what role he plays in 2024 is TBD.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Jclayton92 on October 25, 2023, 05:08:11 PMHe'll be on the team in 2024, what role he plays in 2024 is TBD.

Agreed. Whether the Giants want to move on or not, nobody is taking that 2024 $47mm cap hit off our hands for a guy who, based on what has been put on tape and also based on career stats, does not appear to be better than Tyrod Taylor and who gets hurt almost every year.

4 Aces

Jones is playing Sunday.

And if he struggles, the Giants decision-makers are going to hear about it.