News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Lets talk about the QBs in 2024 draft.

Started by brownelvis54, October 31, 2023, 12:47:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob In PA

Quote from: Ed Vette on November 12, 2023, 08:58:22 AMThe Owners don't know QBs. They will weigh their options based on the intel provided by the Scouting Reports and his GM/Coaching Staff. Blond hair and Blue eyes a plus.
Ed: So I see you finally decided to refer to the elephant in the room, eh?  (Yes, I know you've been hinting at it forever).

I wonder how many games we've lost because of that (over my lifetime). 

Ever since Eldridge Dickey (AFL) and Marlin Briscoe (NFL) then obviously Warren Moon, I've sat pissed off in the corner.  But I stand by my statement (somewhere, maybe not in this thread) that even the Philistines could not ignore the success of Lamar Jackson.  Second round?  =))  =))  =))

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Ed Vette

Quote from: Bob In PA on November 12, 2023, 09:09:32 AMEd: So I see you finally decided to refer to the elephant in the room, eh?  (Yes, I know you've been hinting at it forever).

I wonder how many games we've lost because of that (over my lifetime). 

Ever since Eldridge Dickey (AFL) and Marlin Briscoe (NFL) then obviously Warren Moon, I've sat pissed off in the corner.  But I stand by my statement (somewhere, maybe not in this thread) that even the Philistines could not ignore the success of Lamar Jackson.  Second round?  =))  =))  =))

Bob
So do you think that the Giants would have broken Lamar Jackson?
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Bob In PA

Quote from: Ed Vette on November 12, 2023, 09:15:37 AMSo do you think that the Giants would have broken Lamar Jackson?

Ed: Assuming they had the same cast of other players/picks/free-agents as Jones had, it would have been just a matter of time until the top blew off the pot... Bob

Philosophers

Quote from: Bob In PA on November 12, 2023, 09:26:27 AMEd: Assuming they had the same cast of other players/picks/free-agents as Jones had, it would have been just a matter of time until the top blew off the pot... Bob

22 players plus backups win or lose games, not 1 player.  I agree with you Bob.

uconnjack8

Quote from: Philosophers on November 12, 2023, 11:29:11 AM22 players plus backups win or lose games, not 1 player.  I agree with you Bob.

Yes it's a team sport but some guys are able to do things to raise the level of others or at least make the most out if what their teammates bring to the table. 

The 2011 Giants OL was a shell of it's 2008 self, but Eli was able to make it work.   Do we think Jones would have done enough to win that NFC championship game at SF?  Or even had a sniff of the playoffs without a real running threat?

Dgoodmantrublu

Maye and Jones are such different prospects. Maye has an elite arm. He makes throws that Jones can only dream of making. He also goes through progressions better than Jones ever did. Jones was a 2nd round talent. Maye is an elite prospect who would be the top pick in most drafts. Don't helmet scout.

Quote from: Bob In PA on November 12, 2023, 08:28:36 AMEd: IMO you know your QB's but I ask you... even if the Giants like Maye and want him over all other QB's....

How can Schoen stand before the media & make the case for Maye (assuming they get him in the high first round)?

After the lack of success of Daniel Jones (or, if you still believe in him as I do, delayed or stunted success)
coming out of the ACC, it would require (because Jones will still be on the team) Schoen to say why Maye is a better prospect than Jones!  If you disagree with this statement, then tell me what he will say... no, I don't think the Giants will take Maye no matter how much they like him.

Bob

Jclayton92

Quote from: Ed Vette on November 12, 2023, 08:21:48 AMDaniels is special. The difference between him and Lamar is this kid has an arm. He threw a pass effortlessly for about 62 yards leading his receiver.

He doesn't just take off either. He scopes the field very well.

Calib in my eyes will have his challenges at the next level.

At this point my top three are Maye, Bo and Daniels. I think Penik drop's because of his injuries and Williams because he's not seeing or throwing to open receivers and is getting self sacks and turnovers. His horrible Oline doing a NYG imitation not withstanding.
Not giving Williams a pass here but he thinks he has to be superman on every play because for some reason if you watch Lincoln Rileys offenses they don't have quick outs, fast reads, or anything like a hot read if the qb is under duress so he has to either run or make time for the routes to develop.

If you watch Murray and Hurts when they began their pro careers it's the one thing they initially had real problems with because they didn't do it in college at all under Riley.

Bob In PA

Quote from: Dgoodmantrublu on November 12, 2023, 12:30:04 PMMaye and Jones are such different prospects. Maye has an elite arm. He makes throws that Jones can only dream of making. He also goes through progressions better than Jones ever did. Jones was a 2nd round talent. Maye is an elite prospect who would be the top pick in most drafts. Don't helmet scout.

Dgood: Do you think Maye will be listed as "top dog" by draft day? I don't (because he plays in the ACC). It will be an interesting QB draft in 2024, that's for sure (and I'm not even including the possibility that the Giants' may be interest in drafting a high first-round QB; I think they'll draft a QB; the question is in which round will the start looking). Bob

Philosophers

Apples and oranges comparison IMHO. To say a college player can make a pass that DJ can only dream of is unrealistic as former has not played a down in NFL so you have no idea what he can do there.

Some here are speaking in a way that sounds like fact.  At this point too early and too many moving pieces to know anything.

Philosophers

My only consolation moving on from DJ is we didn't trade up to draft him and give up 3 future 1st rounders to do so.  We made a mistake.  Now let's move on.

Dgoodmantrublu

No because Caleb is a generational talent despite the crazy things I see people here say about him. The ACC is not a weak conference. It is the third or 4th best conference in the sport. The conference is likely placing a team in the playoff. And another is close.

Quote from: Bob In PA on November 12, 2023, 02:17:41 PMDgood: Do you think Maye will be listed as "top dog" by draft day? I don't (because he plays in the ACC). It will be an interesting QB draft in 2024, that's for sure (and I'm not even included the Giants' possible interest in drafting a high first-round QB, is there actually WILL BE such interest). Bob

Bob In PA

Quote from: Dgoodmantrublu on November 12, 2023, 03:58:28 PMNo because Caleb is a generational talent despite the crazy things I see people here say about him. The ACC is not a weak conference. It is the third or 4th best conference in the sport. The conference is likely placing a team in the playoff. And another is close.

Dgood: But I can't name the last ACC QB who had better than a 2nd-round-quality NFL career. Bob

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Bob In PA on November 12, 2023, 05:28:13 PMDgood: But I can't name the last ACC QB who had better than a 2nd-round-quality NFL career. Bob

I think Trevor Lawrence qualifies, although maybe you meant QBs who have already had their careers (I see you used the word "had").

Dgoodmantrublu

Deshaun Watson is an XXXXXXX, but he was very good for Houston before all the xxxx went down. Up and down this year.

Sam Howell is playing OK for Washington in basically his rookie year. That is just off the top of my head.

And of course Phillip Rivers had a really good NFL career out of NC State.

Quote from: Bob In PA on November 12, 2023, 05:28:13 PMDgood: But I can't name the last ACC QB who had better than a 2nd-round-quality NFL career. Bob

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Dgoodmantrublu on November 12, 2023, 07:24:36 PMDeshaun Watson is an XXXXXXX, but he was very good for Houston before all the xxxx went down. Up and down this year.

Sam Howell is playing OK for Washington in basically his rookie year. That is just off the top of my head.

And of course Phillip Rivers had a really good NFL career out of NC State.

Matt Ryan, Michael Vick