News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Lets talk about the QBs in 2024 draft.

Started by brownelvis54, October 31, 2023, 12:47:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dgoodmantrublu

brownelvis54

The KING is in the building

Philosophers

An NFL star QB has the it factor.  Who has it in college this year?  Caleb Williams looks sullen when something bad happens.  I see an alone guy, not a team guy when I watch him.  I have not seen enough of Drake to have a view.  JJ has the arm, mechanics and is a pump up the team kind of leader, but Michigan is not airing it enough in which you can see his results after say 40 attempts.  He's only had two games in which he threw it more than 30 times.  Six of his games he threw it 20 or less times.  His YPC is generally very good.  I think a pass oriented head coach would let him air it out, but would you take a chance on a guy who after 12 games has only 257 pass attempts?

Dgoodmantrublu

Daniels has certainly showed that. But what you look for in QBs is traits. Josh Allen was bad in college. But he had elite traits that Daboll developed.

Dgoodmantrublu

I could not disagree more. They are in range for Daniels. If you have a xxxx QB, the OL will not matter. Daniels and McCarthy are still good prospects. Or you could trade up. Another OL high in the draft would be a waste of resources.

Quote from: killarich on November 26, 2023, 04:04:52 PMNo Caleb, No Maye

Dont reach .... just get 2 O-linemen ...see if Neal can play guard ...... get a DT who can actually stop the run unlike Robinson and Nunez who fleeced us

If Jones...Devito whoever is the QB still cant get it together then draft a QB in 25

Really wanted Caleb or Maye ...but Devito and co dont want it lol... now lets go 9-8 sneak in and win the superbowl lol

Uni

Quote from: Dgoodmantrublu on November 26, 2023, 10:03:13 PMDaniels has certainly showed that. But what you look for in QBs is traits. Josh Allen was bad in college. But he had elite traits that Daboll developed.
Giants are playing themselves out of Daniels' draft spot. I think he's going to blow up the combine and go top 5.

Giants are more likely to get Bo Nix

Dgoodmantrublu

Bo Nix has no elite traits. McCarthy would be a far better pick. Right now the Giants are 6th. They could go up 4 or 5 by the time the season is over. If they like Daniels, they should move up to secure him. Nix should be avoided. He's another Daniel Jones.

Philosophers

4 QBs will not go in top 6.  I'd bet on it.

Uni

Quote from: Philosophers on November 27, 2023, 01:26:48 AM4 QBs will not go in top 6.  I'd bet on it.
I'd bet 3 go in the top five. I'd also bet the Giants will win a couple of more games and possibly fall out of the top 10.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

londonblue

This is a two QB draft with a pick 10-20 gamble on another, probably Daniels. More might well be taken (eg by then 24 year old Bo Nix) because so many teams have a QB need but they will just be throwing chips on the table and hoping for a lightning strike.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

Philosophers

Quote from: Uni on November 27, 2023, 02:16:14 AMI'd bet 3 go in the top five. I'd also bet the Giants will win a couple of more games and possibly fall out of the top 10.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

3 is a lot different than 4.

Who would the Giants beat?  I dont see anyone.  They gave up 6 sacks to the worst team in the NFL.

TDToomer

My problem with Bo Nix is that he will be 24 years old by the draft. I was surprised enough to find out that DeVito is a 25 year old rookie. COVID really dragged out the eligibility of these college players. I believe you must factor in their age if you are taking a player so high in the draft.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

Uni

Quote from: Philosophers on November 27, 2023, 09:52:54 AM3 is a lot different than 4.

Who would the Giants beat?  I dont see anyone.  They gave up 6 sacks to the worst team in the NFL.
Packers, Rams, and Saints are world beaters? I can easily see the Giants taking two from there

DaveBrown74

Quote from: TDToomer on November 27, 2023, 10:28:20 AMMy problem with Bo Nix is that he will be 24 years old by the draft. I was surprised enough to find out that DeVito is a 25 year old rookie. COVID really dragged out the eligibility of these college players. I believe you must factor in their age if you are taking a player so high in the draft.

I agree, but not because an older QB means you're getting fewer years from them. I'm not saying that's why you feel that way about older QBs, but I have heard that reason mentioned in the past by others. I personally don't care about that part, because in QB years 1 or 2 calendar years is not important relative to the immense importance of getting the pick right.

The reason why I do agree though is because the difference between being 23 and 19 or 20 in college sports is very material. That really needs to be factored in, and I feel like sometimes it isn't.

TDToomer

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 27, 2023, 03:24:05 PMI agree, but not because an older QB means you're getting fewer years from them. I'm not saying that's why you feel that way about older QBs, but I have heard that reason mentioned in the past by others. I personally don't care about that part, because in QB years 1 or 2 calendar years is not important relative to the immense importance of getting the pick right.

The reason why I do agree though is because the difference between being 23 and 19 or 20 in college sports is very material. That really needs to be factored in, and I feel like sometimes it isn't.

Nix is at an age where some 2nd-3rd year NFL QBS are. I think it's a red flag that is has taken him so long to develop. He should have declared for the draft a last Spring. And yes we would be getting a shorter career out of him if he becomes a franchise QB.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs