News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Lets talk about the QBs in 2024 draft.

Started by brownelvis54, October 31, 2023, 12:47:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob In PA

Quote from: TDToomer on November 06, 2023, 10:02:23 AMBut Mara hasn't and still thinks the game is the same as it was in the 20th century.
TD: I really want to tell you that you're wrong, but all I can say right now is let's hope you're wrong. Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

katkavage

Quote from: TDToomer on November 06, 2023, 10:02:23 AMBut Mara hasn't and still thinks the game is the same as it was in the 20th century.
That is the issue. He is dragging the franchise down.

Bob In PA

Quote from: katkavage on November 06, 2023, 10:09:02 AMThat's why you take the QB. As all teams do now. Not even a debate.
kat: I know where you're coming from, but financially you cannot afford to let your guy sit for more than a few games. You want to win under his rookie contract.  Adding these factors into the equation, what you get IMO is almost a rule that you don't take a big-money high-1st-rounder until you have a decent OL and at least one starter-quality WR (doesn't have to be a #1 bell-cow... just a true starter... IMO Hyatt fits the bill, so Giants are ok there... they still need two more OL's and can get them this next draft then draft a QB in 2025.  I know the DJ injury complicates that scenario now because we're not sure he'll be ready to play next year, but it's worth the risk. I wouldn't want to see a repeat of the Jones situation with the next QB. I want him to step in without fear of getting killed while he's gathering on-field experience. Bob

katkavage

Quote from: Bob In PA on November 06, 2023, 10:14:12 AMkat: I know where you're coming from, but financially you cannot afford to let your guy sit for more than a few games. You want to win under his rookie contract.  Adding these factors into the equation, what you get IMO is almost a rule that you don't take a big-money high-1st-rounder until you have a decent OL and at least one starter-quality WR (doesn't have to be a #1 bell-cow... just a true starter... IMO Hyatt fits the bill, so Giants are ok there... they still need two more OL's and can get them this next draft then draft a QB in 2025.  I know the DJ injury complicates that scenario now because we're not sure he'll be ready to play next year, but it's worth the risk. I wouldn't want to see a repeat of the Jones situation with the next QB. I want him to step in without fear of getting killed while he's gathering on-field experience. Bob
Bob, they will draft a QB.

Bob In PA

Quote from: katkavage on November 06, 2023, 10:15:15 AMBob, they will draft a QB.
kat: I'm certain of that, but suppose there's no one THEY view as a franchise guy. Would you draft in the later rounds if you don't see a first-rounder?  Bob

katkavage

Quote from: Bob In PA on November 06, 2023, 10:21:58 AMkat: I'm certain of that, but suppose there's no one THEY view as a franchise guy. Would you draft in the later rounds if you don't see a first-rounder?  Bob
I hope they don't reach like Gettleman did for Jones. No, don't take a QB just because. I've been saying this for the last ten years: when you bring a new regime let them pick the QB in year one if possible. Schoen wants to find his guy. Gettleman tried in year two but whiffed. If they need to trade future draft picks for their guy, they should.

Gmo11

Quote from: katkavage on November 06, 2023, 10:27:13 AMI hope they don't reach like Gettleman did for Jones. No, don't take a QB just because. I've been saying this for the last ten years: when you bring a new regime let them pick the QB in year one if possible. Schoen wants to find his guy. Gettleman tried in year two but whiffed. If they need to trade future draft picks for their guy, they should.

There are at least 4 QBs in this draft that would have graded out better than Jones did his year.  Gettleman was a buffoon and took Jones for no good reason other than apparently he was full bloom in love with the guy.  A real GM, like the one the Giants currently employ, will look at the options, talk to his coach, and decide which one is the best fit for the offense they are running.  I believe Williams will be the runaway winner but if Daboll sees something in one of the other guys that makes him believe that they would be better in his offense I'll trust him on that.  But rest assured, nobody they draft at the top will be as ridiculous of a reach as Jones was. 

Philosophers

Many fans seem to be overanalyzing players or prospects in my opinion and drawing conclusions from only a few plays or a few games.  It's about an entire body of work.

Caleb Williams or any prospect will have a bad or great game.  Neither defines him or his game.

Example:  JJ McCarthy will play Penn State next week.  He may light them up or have a crap game.  Neither will define him as a QB but he will either be elevated or thrown to the junk pile by fans here after that game.  I guarantee it.

uconnjack8

Quote from: uconnjack8 on November 05, 2023, 07:32:16 PMWhy isn't Penix the #1 prospect?  Serious question.  Only seen him a couple of times and both times were impressive.  The physical talent is apparent. 

Asking again.  The conversation had somehow turned to Gettleman and Jones rather than the prospects.   What are thoughts on Penix?

katkavage

Quote from: uconnjack8 on November 06, 2023, 10:44:56 AMAsking again.  The conversation had somehow turned to Gettleman and Jones rather than the prospects.   What are thoughts on Penix?
Looks good. Will be 25 next year.

Philosophers

Quote from: uconnjack8 on November 06, 2023, 10:44:56 AMAsking again.  The conversation had somehow turned to Gettleman and Jones rather than the prospects.   What are thoughts on Penix?

Penix also has had 2 ACL knee reconstructions plus has an average arm.

TDToomer

If we are drafting a franchise QB in the top 5 I want him to be 21-23 years old. 25? forget about it.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

SlotCorner

All I want is for Schoen to identify the guy he can win with and go get him. No settling for what you think is the second or third best QB because your first choice was out of reach. Bet the ranch, trade the picks, promise your first born just go get the best guy.

This is what happened in Buffalo when they got Allen. They got lucky in that the perception of Allen was he was a "flawed" prospect but the Buffalo brain trust was sure about him and they did what it took to get in position to draft him.

uconnjack8

Quote from: Philosophers on November 06, 2023, 11:23:34 AMPenix also has had 2 ACL knee reconstructions plus has an average arm.

Did not know about the ACLs.  Thought his arm looked better than average, but that could easily be my untrained eye.

Jclayton92

2018, 2019, 2020, 2021 his first 4 years of college his season was cut short due to injury. He's now in year 6 but out of the 6 seasons he's only been healthy for 1 1/2 of those.