News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Dabs may not survive this season,

Started by Ed Vette, November 12, 2023, 06:00:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Quote from: Doc16LT56 on November 13, 2023, 10:04:09 AMIt was a lost season long before Danny DeVito started a game. Let's not forget all the preseason hype was followed by a full strength 40-0 humiliating loss to Dallas. This is what Daboll prepared the team for.

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

AZGiantFan

Quote from: TDToomer on November 12, 2023, 09:44:19 PMAnd? Is Tynes going to give us as in depth analysis and hot take of his former team or just try to get liked on Twitter? What a useless comment by Tynes which is pretty much his entire feed.

I disagree.  I think he is playing off of Mara's famous "The offense is broken" statement to put the blame exactly where it belongs.  Not the offense, not the defense, not the special teams, not the coach, and not the GM.  The FRANCHISE.  Which means the owner.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Ed Vette

Quote from: Doc16LT56 on November 13, 2023, 09:42:04 AMI watched Daboll's post-game presser and he sounds disconnected from reality. Not that I expect him to dump on his team but his answers make it sound like he thinks these games aren't complete blowouts. Have real questions about Daboll's temperament and also whether he is not just overwhelmed coaching in NY.

It makes me think of the famous MLK quote: "The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Great quote!

I'm going to address the elephant in the room. I think most all of us here like Brian Daboll the man and we all want him to succeed. It's also very distasteful to replace yet another HC after two seasons and after he showed so much promise last season.

It's becoming quite apparent to some of us who aren't blinded into thinking the criticism is an overreaction and I'm referring to some of the players, media, fans outside and in here, that Brian Daboll is a classic Peter Principal.

He's a very good OC, Play Caller and QB Guru. He may not be Head Coach material.

Can he learn? Can he reinvent himself? Absolutely he can with the right team of coaches around him and a solid cast of players.

He has to separate his personal feelings for the players and coaches from influencing his decisions.

He fully supported Daniel Jones. His input to Schoen had to influence the decision to bring in receiving weapons instead of better Oline players and depth.

He fully supported Bobby Johnson over two seasons of poor results in development of his players and the decision to rotate the players in camp.

He has developed a working relationship with Kafka because he's subservient and he's mentoring him. But Kafka is a lousy game coach and has designed both good and bad plays but sticks with what doesn't work. What the heck was with that comical wildcat clusterfuck? Why did he abandon the run early on and then become so predictable with it later on in the season?

Daboll is making poor in game decisions.

He's become so emotional in real time that even when he restrains himself, he's so scrambled he can't think straight and now his players are having emotional outbursts on the sidelines, which disrupts the focus and resiliency of the team. When McKinney slams the DC, it's not an outlier. It's a symptom of what's being whispered in the locker room.

Then I have to criticize Schoen for not properly supporting Daboll and that goes back to decisions made before the season started and by not bringing in a QB after Tyrod went down. Tommy DeVito is a tough kid, well liked and a natural leader as well as a nice feel good story but he was clearly not prepared or ready to step in. At some point the Defense has their minds on what's going on with that lousy Offense and they will mail it in.

The next few weeks will determine the future of Brian Daboll as the Head Coach of the NYGs.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Gmo11

Quote from: Ed Vette on November 13, 2023, 10:35:23 AMGreat quote!

I'm going to address the elephant in the room. I think most all of us here like Brian Daboll the man and we all want him to succeed. It's also very distasteful to replace yet another HC after two seasons and after he showed so much promise last season.

It's becoming quite apparent to some of us who aren't blinded into thinking the criticism is an overreaction and I'm referring to some of the players, media, fans outside and in here, that Brian Daboll is a classic Peter Principal.

He's a very good OC, Play Caller and QB Guru. He may not be Head Coach material.

Can he learn? Can he reinvent himself? Absolutely he can with the right team of coaches around him and a solid cast of players.

He has to separate his personal feelings for the players and coaches from influencing his decisions.

He fully supported Daniel Jones. His input to Schoen had to influence the decision to bring in receiving weapons instead of better Oline players and depth.

He fully supported Bobby Johnson over two seasons of poor results in development of his players and the decision to rotate the players in camp.

He has developed a working relationship with Kafka because he's subservient and he's mentoring him. But Kafka is a lousy game coach and has designed both good and bad plays but sticks with what doesn't work. What the heck was with that comical wildcat clusterfuck? Why did he abandon the run early on and then become so predictable with it later on in the season?

Daboll is making poor in game decisions.

He's become so emotional in real time that even when he restrains himself, he's so scrambled he can't think straight and now his players are having emotional outbursts on the sidelines, which disrupts the focus and resiliency of the team. When McKinney slams the DC, it's not an outlier. It's a symptom of what's being whispered in the locker room.

Then I have to criticize Schoen for not properly supporting Daboll and that goes back to decisions made before the season started and by not bringing in a QB after Tyrod went down. Tommy DeVito is a tough kid, well liked and a natural leader as well as a nice feel good story but he was clearly not prepared or ready to step in. At some point the Defense has their minds on what's going on with that lousy Offense and they will mail it in.

The next few weeks will determine the future of Brian Daboll as the Head Coach of the NYGs.

Why do you suppose he was so successful last year?

Painter

There is zero chance that Brian Daboll will not be the Giants HC in 2024. I repeat: zero, no chance, nil, Ney!, negative, nada. The reason should be obvious.

Even with the absence or unavailability of essential players at QB and throughout the roster, the team's performance, and outcomes are inexplicable to the owners, staff, players individually and as a whole, to the media, and to us chickens.

And to be sure, there is nothing to gained other than catering to our personal conceits by now concluding that last season's COTY was and is a fraud. Even if that was so, it does nothing to explain the facts of this otherwise inexplicable season nor will anything which occurs for better or worse over the remaining 7 games.

The tragedy of this season is that we now have even more unanswered questions and face greater challenges than we might have imagined. Still, there is nothing to be gained by indulging our frustration when otherwise guided by the evil wins, Rush and Rash.

Cheers! 

Ed Vette

Quote from: Gmo11 on November 13, 2023, 10:39:23 AMWhy do you suppose he was so successful last year?
He came in after an autocrat who was a strict disciplinarian that lost the team. But the fundamentals were there.

He was a breath of fresh air who walked into an easy schedule and had some luck on his side, but take a hard look at how the season ended. They were 3-6-1 to end the season and they beat a Vikings team with a high school secondary. The Eagles exposed them for who they were but the wheels started falling off last season.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Gmo11

Quote from: Ed Vette on November 13, 2023, 10:46:14 AMHe came in after an autocrat who was a strict disciplinarian that lost the team. But the fundamentals were there.

He was a breath of fresh air who walked into an easy schedule and had some luck on his side, but take a hard look at how the season ended. They were 3-6-1 to end the season and they beat a Vikings team with a high school secondary. The Eagles exposed them for who they were but the wheels started falling off last season.

Right but I kinda think that is the main reason why this isn't Daboll's fault.  He took a team that was basically as lousy as this one, and got them to play over their heads.  Particularly the QB.  If we are to give him all the blame for this season and call for his job, I don't know how we can take away all of the credit for last year when he was the Coach of the Year.  The performance last year was over achieving, the performance this year is under achieving, but the actual skill level of the team is somewhere in the middle.  Until you lose your top two QBs to injury at which point no matter what you do the team is going to get pummeled.  It's the biggest reason why I don't think teams should even carry a 3rd QB at all.  Anybody pulled off the street can do what Devito is doing so why bother having him around at all.

Ed Vette

Quote from: Gmo11 on November 13, 2023, 10:53:48 AMRight but I kinda think that is the main reason why this isn't Daboll's fault.  He took a team that was basically as lousy as this one, and got them to play over their heads.  Particularly the QB.  If we are to give him all the blame for this season and call for his job, I don't know how we can take away all of the credit for last year when he was the Coach of the Year.  The performance last year was over achieving, the performance this year is under achieving, but the actual skill level of the team is somewhere in the middle.  Until you lose your top two QBs to injury at which point no matter what you do the team is going to get pummeled.  It's the biggest reason why I don't think teams should even carry a 3rd QB at all.  Anybody pulled off the street can do what Devito is doing so why bother having him around at all.
I don't have much more to say without overstating my points. Go back to the country club training camp and how woefully unprepared this team was entering the season.

Other than that, I just have to disagree with some of you folks here.

Like I said multiple times, I like Brian Daboll a lot and I hope he rights his ship.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Bob In PA

Quote from: Doc16LT56 on November 13, 2023, 09:42:04 AMI watched Daboll's post-game presser and he sounds disconnected from reality. Not that I expect him to dump on his team but his answers make it sound like he thinks these games aren't complete blowouts.
Doc: Daboll is correct.

What he's saying (using "for-public-consumption" language) is... they're not as bad as they look right now.

What he avoided saying was... the same number of mistakes against a bad team look much different than those mistakes against a top team. I got flak saying preseason that this is Cowboys year (not Eagles/Niners/etc. in NFC). They will go to the Super Bowl (and probably lose, because Dak will likely not be up to the task) but the point is... against a good team, you almost can't make ANY blunders because they'll turn them into TD's almost every time. And that's what happened yesterday, generally speaking.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Bob In PA

Quote from: Gmo11 on November 13, 2023, 10:53:48 AMRight but I kinda think that is the main reason why this isn't Daboll's fault.  He took a team that was basically as lousy as this one, and got them to play over their heads.  Particularly the QB.  If we are to give him all the blame for this season and call for his job, I don't know how we can take away all of the credit for last year when he was the Coach of the Year.  The performance last year was over achieving, the performance this year is under achieving, but the actual skill level of the team is somewhere in the middle.  Until you lose your top two QBs to injury at which point no matter what you do the team is going to get pummeled.  It's the biggest reason why I don't think teams should even carry a 3rd QB at all.  Anybody pulled off the street can do what Devito is doing so why bother having him around at all.

Gm: If I'm on your side, but I think your post (I agree with all of it) needs a little balance and (not to speak for Ed) I believe that was the point Ed is making. Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

andrew_nyGiants

Quote from: AZGiantFan on November 13, 2023, 10:03:48 AMDid the QB give up 49 pts.?
Insomuch as he rarely kept the defense on the sideline to rest, yes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

files58

Daboll(and Schoen) inherited a flawed at best roster and cap hell. He coaxed the best he could last year out of a QB from Duke who was drafted by a GM who would try to win the Indy 500 with an Edsel. The contract given to Jones was a compromise between Mara and his new leadership. Thus the two year out built in. I don't have proof of this but reading between the lines. Mara won't learn from his mistakes at least he hasn't at the time of this writing. Why? No matter what the Giants' record is the team makes money, and increases in value. He will never feel the financial pain he should for putting out this inferior product year after year. B/t/w I've been a diehard since 1965(9 yrs. old), a few weeks ago I compiled a W-L regular season record since then. They are 420-474. They are a historically losing franchise despite the four trophies. The one constant during that span of time is the Mara family. Every new coach/regime particularly one that comes from an offense background, and has vast experience being mentored by Masters of the profession should have their own QB. Period. McAdoo(remember him) wanted/pleaded to move up and draft Mahomes. Nah said Mara we've got Eli. EVERYONE knew Eli was on the 17th hole of an 18 hole career, but nah. Bill had Phil, Tom had Eli. Brian will rightfully get his QB. Then we'll see........

jgrangers2

Quote from: Ed Vette on November 13, 2023, 10:57:50 AMI don't have much more to say without overstating my points. Go back to the country club training camp and how woefully unprepared this team was entering the season.

Other than that, I just have to disagree with some of you folks here.

Like I said multiple times, I like Brian Daboll a lot and I hope he rights his ship.

A team being significantly worse than the team across from them could make them look unprepared. The team wasn't unprepared, they're just not very good. We are not remotely on the same level as the Cowboys right now. There are very few spots where the Giants are even on par with the Cowboys so why would you expect a game between these two teams to be close?

I keep harping on this, but at some point your talent has to be better than the guys across from them. Coaching can only be asked to make up for so many deficiencies, but bad O-line plus bad QB is a recipe for disaster for almost anyone. If you want a good example just look at New England. Did Belichick suddenly become a bad coach or is it possible that Brady was more important than Belichick ever was?

Ed Vette

~ Coach Tom Coughlin

ralphpal1

The problem is
D Jones gets hurt. A lot
I think everyone knew that T Taylor wouldnt last more than 3 games or so
So you have to realize this
Once Jones get hurt you make calls if you know devitto.is.not the answer
Did anyone really think taylor would last the season ?
If not you have to expect jones to get hurt
Once he does
You make the calls