News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

At this point, I will be pissed if the Giants win another game

Started by MightyGiants, November 13, 2023, 09:40:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JT39

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 13, 2023, 10:28:27 AMThe week 18 game at Met Life against the Eagles worries me. If the Eagles have zero to play for in that game, they will likely to screw the Giants out of picking in the top two. We know they're shady about throwing games and, let's face it, it would be in their interest to not want Maye or Williams landing in the NFC East. So I think that's a huge worry.

The Pats also worry me a great deal as far as jockeying for those top two spots go. Our game against them will be interesting.

I still think the Pats will be a loss cause they are in every game and have played well for stretches of games at a time. Their problem is their Jones messes up when it matters most. But we will get outcoached in that game. Not worried about that one.

As far as week 18, if we dont tank worse than the Eagles - thats a huge problem - especially if the number 1 pick is on the line.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: JT39 on November 13, 2023, 10:35:58 AMI still think the Pats will be a loss cause they are in every game and have played well for stretches of games at a time. Their problem is their Jones messes up when it matters most. But we will get outcoached in that game. Not worried about that one.

As far as week 18, if we dont tank worse than the Eagles - thats a huge problem - especially if the number 1 pick is on the line.

Mara may be a lot of things but I don't think he is lacking in personal integrity. That reality, while a good thing, may hurt us in our quest for a top QB prospect. I don't trust Jeffrey Lurie at all to not tank on purpose (we watched the Eagles do this once already with our own two eyes). I feel a little bit less sure about Kraft/Belichick, but this organization has been busted cheating red-handed on multiple occasions so I would not put some sort of tanking past them.

As for us losing to the Pats, we nearly beat the Bills in Buffalo as well as the Jets, both of whom are better, so as bad as things look right now I don't think it's some lock that we'd lose to the pats with both teams trying their hardest. They suck too.

Giant Jim

Jeff George, Vince Young, David Carr, Jack Thompson, Tim Couch, Akili Smith, Rick Mirer, JaMarcus Russell, Ryan Leaf,  Zach Wilson, Sam Darnold, Baker Mayfield, Mark Sanchez, Robert Griffin III
A top pick doesn't always work out. Who's going to be drafting this next "great" QB, Joe Schoen? How's his record of drafting QB's? Please don't say Josh Allen, he was an assistant like Dave Gettleman was when Ernie Accorsi drafted Phillip Rivers and traded for Eli. Ray Perkins was very involved in drafting Phil Simms. The great George Young got a so-so QB in Hostetler and failed horribly with Dave Young. Look at the Giants history since the draft was started, they've only drafted 1 championship QB, Phil Simms. I'll be rooting for them to win as many as possible. If they lose out, there'll probably be another coaching change. ... it wasn't that long ago we were laughing at the Cleveland Browns.

Dumpster Dan

Quote from: Giant Jim on November 13, 2023, 10:10:45 AMAt this point, I will be pissed if the Giants lose another game. I'm sick of losing.

Congrats for having the courage to speak up and say it--The other great contributor to this site, the late JimV must be rolling in his grave with all this talk about tanking, losing every game, play Devito the sacrificial lamb etc etc

Dumpster Dan

Giant Jim

Quote from: Dumpster Dan on November 13, 2023, 06:58:54 PMCongrats for having the courage to speak up and say it--The other great contributor to this site, the late JimV must be rolling in his grave with all this talk about tanking, losing every game, play Devito the sacrificial lamb etc etc

Dumpster Dan
Thanks for the support, but like JimV, I've seen my share of first round mistakes by the Giants and the rest of the league. Simms needed until the middle of the '84 season to get the entire fan base behind him, he didn't do much before then. How many teams for Geno Smith? You watch the games from Sept-Dec, not in April. I hate to say it, but no matter what, Jones's injury at this time does mean they need to bring in a QB with potential to take over. But to root for them to lose? How many top tier QB's have been drafted since they skipped over several to draft Barkley?

JT39

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 13, 2023, 10:42:53 AMAs for us losing to the Pats, we nearly beat the Bills in Buffalo as well as the Jets, both of whom are better, so as bad as things look right now I don't think it's some lock that we'd lose to the pats with both teams trying their hardest. They suck too.

Never underestimate the power of Danny Devito!

kingm56

Quote from: Giant Jim on November 13, 2023, 07:18:22 PMThanks for the support, but like JimV, I've seen my share of first round mistakes by the Giants and the rest of the league. Simms needed until the middle of the '84 season to get the entire fan base behind him, he didn't do much before then. How many teams for Geno Smith? You watch the games from Sept-Dec, not in April. I hate to say it, but no matter what, Jones's injury at this time does mean they need to bring in a QB with potential to take over. But to root for them to lose? How many top tier QB's have been drafted since they skipped over several to draft Barkley?

I deeply appreciate yours and Dan's perspective; yet, I hope you don't mind me asking a hypothetical question.  In 1980, the Cardinals won one more game than our Giants; consequently, they 'earned' the 5th pick, while our Giants had the number 2 pick, which they used on Lt.  The Cardinals selected LB  EJ Junior; now, if the Giants win one more game in 1980, they end up with the 4/5 pick, ceding the opportunity to select LT to the Seahawks or Cardinals.  Would fans rather have LT, or a few meaningless wins in a lost season?   Now, I'm suggesting there's an LT in this draft, but there's a chance Williams could be our next Eli...I'd rather enjoy that possibility than a few meaningless wins.  I think that's the perspective being shared in this thread.  Regardless, I get where you're coming from!!

madbadger

Knowing the Giants we'll hit a 63 yard field goal in a snow storm on the last day of the year to drop from 2nd overall to 4th.

Dumpster Dan

Quote from: kingm56 on November 13, 2023, 07:31:37 PMI deeply appreciate yours and Dan's perspective; yet, I hope you don't mind me asking a hypothetical question.  In 1980, the Cardinals won one more game than our Giants; consequently, they 'earned' the 5th pick, while our Giants had the number 2 pick, which they used on Lt.  The Cardinals selected LB  EJ Junior; now, if the Giants win one more game in 1980, they end up with the 4/5 pick, ceding the opportunity to select LT to the Seahawks or Cardinals.  Would fans rather have LT, or a few meaningless wins in a lost season?  Now, I'm suggesting there's an LT in this draft, but there's a chance Williams could be our next Eli...I'd rather enjoy that possibility than a few meaningless wins.  I think that's the perspective being shared in this thread.  Regardless, I get where you're coming from!!

Oh dont get me wrong--I totally understand where all of you are coming from  but there is a certain amount of hindsight involved.  Its entirely possible that there were some who would have picked EJ Junior over LT--and I will be sitting on the edge of the couch next draft night IF we are picking first or second  hoping like hell that its either Williams or Maye IF thats who JS and company have at the top of their board...I am in agony every damn Sunday due to my antiquated thinking--as I say to myself after the final whistle--well that improves our draft chances--I am not so naive that I dont understand that--I am unfortunately or fortunately a classic example of the old adage--you cant teach an old fart a new trick---so in the week leading up to and during the game itself I just cant get myself to seriously talk about losing  and all due respect to Rich who started this--I will NOT be pissed if the Giants win another game

Dumpster Dan

kingm56

Quote from: Dumpster Dan on November 13, 2023, 08:05:57 PMOh dont get me wrong--I totally understand where all of you are coming from  but there is a certain amount of hindsight involved.  Its entirely possible that there were some who would have picked EJ Junior over LT--and I will be sitting on the edge of the couch next draft night IF we are picking first or second  hoping like hell that its either Williams or Maye IF thats who JS and company have at the top of their board...I am in agony every damn Sunday due to my antiquated thinking--as I say to myself after the final whistle--well that improves our draft chances--I am not so naive that I dont understand that--I am unfortunately or fortunately a classic example of the old adage--you cant teach an old fart a new trick---so in the week leading up to and during the game itself I just cant get myself to seriously talk about losing  and all due respect to Rich who started this--I will NOT be pissed if the Giants win another game

Dumpster Dan

Thanks, Dan; really good perspective. 

Dgoodmantrublu

I am very worried we may win that game. Hope Devito throws it away.

Quote from: SlotCorner on November 13, 2023, 09:47:48 AMSchoen and Daboll know QB is job one. Even if we end up the 4 or 5 pick range, they might sell off some guys and picks to move up.

The only team on our schedule in similar shape is the Pats.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Dumpster Dan on November 13, 2023, 08:05:57 PMOh dont get me wrong--I totally understand where all of you are coming from  but there is a certain amount of hindsight involved.  Its entirely possible that there were some who would have picked EJ Junior over LT--and I will be sitting on the edge of the couch next draft night IF we are picking first or second  hoping like hell that its either Williams or Maye IF thats who JS and company have at the top of their board...I am in agony every damn Sunday due to my antiquated thinking--as I say to myself after the final whistle--well that improves our draft chances--I am not so naive that I dont understand that--I am unfortunately or fortunately a classic example of the old adage--you cant teach an old fart a new trick---so in the week leading up to and during the game itself I just cant get myself to seriously talk about losing  and all due respect to Rich who started this--I will NOT be pissed if the Giants win another game

Dumpster Dan

Dan,

I started a poll last week, and I made it clear there is no one way for people to be fans.   I completely understand both points of view and everything in between.  I feel that this has been a very painful season and the only thing that will make that pain "worth it" will be if it leads to something great.  I can also understand the every game the Giants win is a good game point of view. 
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Giant Jim

Quote from: kingm56 on November 13, 2023, 07:31:37 PMI deeply appreciate yours and Dan's perspective; yet, I hope you don't mind me asking a hypothetical question.  In 1980, the Cardinals won one more game than our Giants; consequently, they 'earned' the 5th pick, while our Giants had the number 2 pick, which they used on Lt.  The Cardinals selected LB  EJ Junior; now, if the Giants win one more game in 1980, they end up with the 4/5 pick, ceding the opportunity to select LT to the Seahawks or Cardinals.  Would fans rather have LT, or a few meaningless wins in a lost season?  Now, I'm suggesting there's an LT in this draft, but there's a chance Williams could be our next Eli...I'd rather enjoy that possibility than a few meaningless wins.  I think that's the perspective being shared in this thread.  Regardless, I get where you're coming from!!
Lawrence Taylor was a once in a lifetime talent. Another #2 overall pick was Ryan Leaf. Lawrence Taylor was over 40 years ago, there hasn't been another since. Look at the top picks they've had recently and where they are now. Schoen has had 2 drafts, one with Gettleman's scouts and one with his own. What makes your sure he can pick a good QB? He picked Neal. Thibodeaux does well against teams with weak offensive lines. The book's still out on whether he can pick a head coach. Winter's coming, I'll try to watch the games and hopefully they'll play well enough and win so it's enjoyable for me to invest 3 hours.