News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

If Tommy continues and improves even- who can we ship Jones off to?

Started by BluesCruz, November 20, 2023, 07:35:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drewsg

Quote from: Dgoodmantrublu on November 20, 2023, 07:52:02 PMEven if he had just been tagged. I'm a Schoen guy, but that was a big mistake.

He really didn't have a choice. Which is why they structured it so they can get out after 2024.

shadowspinner0

"which rookie QB is going to be able to develop behind this line", we just saw an undrafted practice squad QB throw 3 TD's today, a good QB with a high ceiling will be able to produce. The rest of the NFL knows this meaning no competent NFL Team will trade for Jones thinking they'll unlock something in him.   

Doc16LT56

Daniel Jones can't be cut due to cap constraints but he can potentially be traded. The Giants would have a ton of dead cap but would actually have a lower cap hit assuming they could find someone desperate enough to pick up Jones' guaranteed $36 million next season.

I think it's safe to assume they won't find anyone willing to take a flier on an expensive QB with such a poor track record and coming off an ACL. Pray for Washington to bring Gettleman out of retirement. It would take something that wacky to move Daniel Jones.

BluesCruz

Quote from: Dgoodmantrublu on November 20, 2023, 04:11:12 PMHe will be lucky to be a number 3 in the league. He just doesn't have the requisite arm talent. Teams will game plan on him and then he won't be able to do what he did yesterday. He still needlessly took sacks that no good QB takes. This notion that he has real talent seems ridiculous to me.

I dont think we were watching the same game Sunday.  If not REAL talent, what sort of talent produces 3 TDs and a 130 QBR, despite having a collapsing blocking wall in front of him, and a so called world class RB who purposely dodged one oncharging Wash lineman and was called out for it by the announcers who replayed the offense.

If not talented how does this happen- Swirling winds carried the ball to its destination countless times?

The same announcers also commented on what a strong arm Tommy has.

This a classic case of looking a gift horse in the mouth

I wonder what NE fans were saying when Brady replaced Bledsoe.  Probably the same sort of thinking

Sometimes talent is there but never gets an opportunity.  In hindsight these staggering developments that put DeVito out there might prove a blessing

Jones was regressing, not improving

We shall see
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Doc16LT56 on November 21, 2023, 01:01:22 AMDaniel Jones can't be cut due to cap constraints but he can potentially be traded. The Giants would have a ton of dead cap but would actually have a lower cap hit assuming they could find someone desperate enough to pick up Jones' guaranteed $36 million next season.

I think it's safe to assume they won't find anyone willing to take a flier on an expensive QB with such a poor track record and coming off an ACL. Pray for Washington to bring Gettleman out of retirement. It would take something that wacky to move Daniel Jones.

Perhaps if they were to draft a QB and then start Jones in September, and Jones plays reasonably decently, they could then move him before the deadline somehow and at least get something for him. And then DeVito could be the backup.

A lot of ifs there though. Plus I'm sure if Jones were to play "reasonably decently" next year (let's say 92 passer rating ball) and the team is something like 4-3, you'll have a chorus of people (both internally and externally) proclaiming he's "the guy" again and that he never had a real shot, and there will be calls that the correct move is to build around him for the next decade and trade the rookie. I could see Mara stepping in and basically insisting on all that, as he is obsessed with Jones' Eli-like, genteel personality.

Gmo11

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 21, 2023, 06:44:01 AMPerhaps if they were to draft a QB and then start Jones in September, and Jones plays reasonably decently, they could then move him before the deadline somehow and at least get something for him. And then DeVito could be the backup.

A lot of ifs there though. Plus I'm sure if Jones were to play "reasonably decently" next year (let's say 92 passer rating ball) and the team is something like 4-3, you'll have a chorus of people (both internally and externally) proclaiming he's "the guy" again and that he never had a real shot, and there will be calls that the correct move is to build around him for the next decade and trade the rookie. I could see Mara stepping in and basically insisting on all that, as he is obsessed with Jones' Eli-like, genteel personality.

I would like to believe the cheap rookie contract would allow for cooler heads to prevail. Even if Mara is in full bloom love. What I don't think is that anybody would trade for Jones at the deadline. Not as long as gettleman remains unemployed anyway.

Uni

Quote from: BluesCruz on November 21, 2023, 02:57:48 AMI dont think we were watching the same game Sunday.  If not REAL talent, what sort of talent produces 3 TDs and a 130 QBR, despite having a collapsing blocking wall in front of him, and a so called world class RB who purposely dodged one oncharging Wash lineman and was called out for it by the announcers who replayed the offense.

If not talented how does this happen- Swirling winds carried the ball to its destination countless times?

I wonder what NE fans were saying when Brady replaced Bledsoe.  Probably the same sort of thinking

Sometimes talent is there but never gets an opportunity.  In hindsight these staggering developments that put DeVito out there might prove a blessing

We shall see
DeVito had the benefit of a very poor Washington defense that was allowing open receivers all over the field. They were loading up to stop the run figuring DeVito wouldn't hurt them with his arm. So while he did make plays, they were there for the taking. Just a poor job by del Rio in what should have been a gimme game.

We will have a better idea of DeVito's QB acumen when they take on the Pats. For all their problems this season, that coaching staff understands how to shut down a rookie QB.

Dgoodmantrublu

Jones sucks. I don't care about him. DeVito left a lot of plays on the field. He caused sacks because he was so slow to read defenses. He was even sacked on a quick screen play call.  He does not have a strong arm by NFL standards. This is a guy that got pushed out by Syracuse. I don't care what the announcers have to say. They aren't scouts. This guy was an UDFA for a reason. He made a few plays. Good for him. Thinking he's good enough to win with long term is massive wishful thinking.

Quote from: BluesCruz on November 21, 2023, 02:57:48 AMI dont think we were watching the same game Sunday.  If not REAL talent, what sort of talent produces 3 TDs and a 130 QBR, despite having a collapsing blocking wall in front of him, and a so called world class RB who purposely dodged one oncharging Wash lineman and was called out for it by the announcers who replayed the offense.

We shall see

Ed Vette

If Tommy DeVito proves to be anything more than a backup for the Giants, that would be a huge accomplishment for him and his Coaches. In College, he came from systems that didn't ask him to do more than the basics. He's learning to read the entire field and he did well in some of those creative play designs we haven't seen all season. He barely breaks a 5.0 40. He's not the most gifted athlete. Like I said, in Camp he improved every day and his arm is strong enough to make good throws when he sets up. I would compare it to Tyrod Taylor's arm. He can certainly be better than some of the starters we have seen in this league. He's a nice story and I'll be rooting for him but my expectations are tempered, even though he has already exceeded them. I'll be happy if he's the Giants backup next season.   
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

BluesCruz

lets agree to disagree

of course the Giants will re-install Jones and likely lose Tommy to free agency

Thats their MO.....they are incompetent Losers, a clown show, it eminates from the owner.  Out of the box thinking is not their forte.  I am a Giants fan 50 years and doomed to follow them even to the gates of irrelevence so Mara is not going to drive me away

This all stems from Mara's conservative nature.  You cannot change a zebra's stripes

Presented with a similar situation Belicheck went with Tom Brady and Parcells tapped Romo.
Think about that....Brady and Romo were BACKUPS....smart thinkers saw them as potential starters and gave them enough rope to prove it.  PS Devito running a 5.0 40....are you kidding me?  Thats not really a QBs most important stat is it?  I wonder what Eli's 40 was.  He ran like he had a refrigerator on his back

Jclayton92

We shall see
Again it was 1 game against the commanders, the same player threw for -1 yards against the Jets and has 500 yards in 5 games.

This right here is how it happens, how we end up with a horrible Qb for 5 years with everyone making excuses because we are so desperate for even decent qb play that the fan base forgets all the bad.

Ed Vette

Quote from: BluesCruz on November 21, 2023, 12:59:47 PMlets agree to disagree

of course the Giants will re-install Jones and likely lose Tommy to free agency

Thats their MO.....they are incompetent Losers, a clown show, it eminates from the owner.  Out of the box thinking is not their forte.  I am a Giants fan 50 years and doomed to follow them even to the gates of irrelevence so Mara is not going to drive me away

This all stems from Mara's conservative nature.  You cannot change a zebra's stripes

Presented with a similar situation Belicheck went with Tom Brady and Parcells tapped Romo.
Think about that....Brady and Romo were BACKUPS....smart thinkers saw them as potential starters and gave them enough rope to prove it.  PS Devito running a 5.0 40....are you kidding me?  Thats not really a QBs most important stat is it?  I wonder what Eli's 40 was.  He ran like he had a refrigerator on his back
His 40 is important because if you followed his college career, he uses his legs. This league is faster. He's not a strict pocket passer like Eli, who had stone feet.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

BluesCruz

Quote from: Ed Vette on November 21, 2023, 01:45:35 PMHis 40 is important because if you followed his college career, he uses his legs. This league is faster. He's not a strict pocket passer like Eli, who had stone feet.

Ok Ed but a week ago we were all depressed and looking at a 10 yr rebuild

Tommy is a feel good story, a NJ high school state champ, still lives at home.  He has given us hope and something to cheer about

And when he dropped that ball into Barkley I was astonished.  Barkley is not the worlds best receiver...the pass was perfect

I have a feeling someone is going to offer him big bucks if he wins out, and it wont be the NY Giants   thats a sad thought

I can see Belichick snapping him up

It was hilarious watching Daboll coming up with every excuse in the book to downplay the QB controversy he never ever expected.

If Devito keeps this improvement up and does win out
im curious, what would you do?  I used to be in Jones camp, now I want to see him gone.

Dgoodmantrublu

The play designs have been there. Jones just refused to throw or missed the throws. Hyatt has been open all the time. It is just vexing how people continually criticize coaches for QBs not being able to notice what is there.

Quote from: Ed Vette on November 21, 2023, 12:35:58 PMIf Tommy DeVito proves to be anything more than a backup for the Giants, that would be a huge accomplishment for him and his Coaches. In College, he came from systems that didn't ask him to do more than the basics. He's learning to read the entire field and he did well in some of those creative play designs we haven't seen all season. He barely breaks a 5.0 40. He's not the most gifted athlete. Like I said, in Camp he improved every day and his arm is strong enough to make good throws when he sets up. I would compare it to Tyrod Taylor's arm. He can certainly be better than some of the starters we have seen in this league. He's a nice story and I'll be rooting for him but my expectations are tempered, even though he has already exceeded them. I'll be happy if he's the Giants backup next season.