News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Mike Lombardi on QB leadership

Started by MightyGiants, November 28, 2023, 09:42:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Mike brought up an interesting concept on his latest podcast.  He talked about QB popularity (in the locker room) and how players want to play for some QBs and not others.   He brought up the example of the Giants/Pats game.   He felt the players liked DeVito, and they clearly wanted to play for him, while Mac Jones did not seem to inspire his players. 

He pointed out that despite Wentz's ability as a QB, players didn't like him and didn't want to play for him.  It's sort of funny when the draftniks evaluate QBs these days; all they talk about is "arm talent" (which I consider a fancy term for arm strength) because of the success of Mahommes and Allen.  Yet, things like charisma and leadership are just as important but are often taken for granted.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

BluesCruz

Quote from: MightyGiants on November 28, 2023, 09:42:54 AMMike brought up an interesting concept on his latest podcast.  He talked about QB popularity (in the locker room) and how players want to play for some QBs and not others.   He brought up the example of the Giants/Pats game.   He felt the players liked DeVito, and they clearly wanted to play for him, while Mac Jones did not seem to inspire his players. 

He pointed out that despite Wentz's ability as a QB, players didn't like him and didn't want to play for him.  It's sort of funny when the draftniks evaluate QBs these days; all they talk about is "arm talent" (which I consider a fancy term for arm strength) because of the success of Mahommes and Allen.  Yet, things like charisma and leadership are just as important but are often taken for granted.

It seems Tommy has the whole package.....the problem is Mara, Schoen and Daboll have to do a 180 to go with Tommy.....politics

Hopefully the fates work to keep Tommy on the field
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

Ed Vette

DJ leads by example and everyone likes him but TD leads with his personality, confidence and charisma. As I've mentioned, he has clearly uplifted the spirits of the team.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

EDjohnst1981

I think the Wentz point is of interest. Did the players not like playing for him when he was in his near-MVP season and had them cooking on all cylinders? I genuinely cannot remember (that's not to say there wasn't) any pushback on him in terms of leadership or personality.

Or has this developed whilst he's been on bad/poor teams?

MightyGiants

Quote from: EDjohnst1981 on November 28, 2023, 11:09:13 AMI think the Wentz point is of interest. Did the players not like playing for him when he was in his near-MVP season and had them cooking on all cylinders? I genuinely cannot remember (that's not to say there wasn't) any pushback on him in terms of leadership or personality.

Or has this developed whilst he's been on bad/poor teams?

From what I have heard, it started with the Eagles and followed him.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

EDjohnst1981

Quote from: MightyGiants on November 28, 2023, 11:15:50 AMFrom what I have heard, it started with the Eagles and followed him.

Thanks, Rich.

katkavage

The best leaders do it on the field. They win. They do what it takes to win. They don't have  be rah rah. They don't have to yell, scream, cajole, whatever. If you are a nice guy, hard worker, a good teammate but you just can't get it done on the field, how is that leadership? Walk the walk, don't talk the talk. That's it.

Fletch

Yea I always thought that the players gave up on Mike Glennon. He was not that bad. I mean the dude made another roster even after the Giants debacle. That should tell you something. There is something off putting about M Lombardi , and it is a tough business for sure , but I often find myself agreeing with him on a lot.

NY47GIANTS

Quote from: katkavage on November 28, 2023, 12:38:22 PMThe best leaders do it on the field. They win. They do what it takes to win. They don't have  be rah rah. They don't have to yell, scream, cajole, whatever. If you are a nice guy, hard worker, a good teammate but you just can't get it done on the field, how is that leadership? Walk the walk, don't talk the talk. That's it.

This! 👆

And, if I may, I'd like to add, excuses.

Ohhh the excuses!!

Leaders don't make excuses.

Leaders don't need to have the entire MSM in unison, creepily enough, making excuses FOR YOU.

The list goes on.

"Excuses are the hole from which this franchise must dig itself out of."

- Proverb I just made up.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Fletch on November 28, 2023, 12:48:09 PMYea I always thought that the players gave up on Mike Glennon. He was not that bad.

On the Giants he wasn't bad? Really? What I saw when I watched him was nothing short of an unmitigated train wreck. I don't even need to look at his numbers that season to recall that.

He hasn't played a single snap in the NFL since then, and he is not on any team now. He was a total disaster for us.

Fletch

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 28, 2023, 01:39:58 PMOn the Giants he wasn't bad? Really? What I saw when I watched him was nothing short of an unmitigated train wreck. I don't even need to look at his numbers that season to recall that.

He hasn't played a single snap in the NFL since then, and he is not on any team now. He was a total disaster for us.

He was a backup on the Dolphins after the Giants, on a play-off team. Yes, he didn't play but still, you don't make another roster on a play-off team after the Giants debacle without someone thinking it was the Giants fault, he looked like that.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Fletch on November 28, 2023, 02:20:07 PMHe was a backup on the Dolphins after the Giants, on a play-off team. Yes, he didn't play but still, you don't make another roster on a play-off team after the Giants debacle without someone thinking it was the Giants fault, he looked like that.

He was much, much, much worse than Jones was prior to Jones getting hurt (on the same team), and we know Jones isn't good. That's kind of all you need to know.

This was his stint on the Dolphins (quoting Wikipedia):

Miami Dolphins
On January 4, 2023, the Miami Dolphins signed Glennon to their practice squad.[66] He was elevated to the Dolphins' active roster for the team's week 18 game against the New York Jets on January 8, 2023, to backup rookie Skylar Thompson after both starter Tua Tagovailoa and backup quarterback Teddy Bridgewater dealing with injuries. [1] His practice squad contract with the team expired after the season on January 15, 2023.

So he became a backup player at the very end of the season when both the team's starter and real backup got hurt. In other words, he was QB4 there, never played, and wasn't asked back. I wouldn't say that's much of a feather in his cap.

T200

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 28, 2023, 01:39:58 PMOn the Giants he wasn't bad? Really? What I saw when I watched him was nothing short of an unmitigated train wreck. I don't even need to look at his numbers that season to recall that.

He's been on this Glennon thing for a couple of years now. I don't get why people even respond do it.  :-??  :-??
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

DaveBrown74

Quote from: T200 on November 28, 2023, 02:25:12 PMHe's been on this Glennon thing for a couple of years now. I don't get why people even respond do it.  :-??  :-??

Fair enough.

You're right, we have bigger fish to fry than debating the precise degree to which a former player sucked.

TDToomer

Quote from: T200 on November 28, 2023, 02:25:12 PMHe's been on this Glennon thing for a couple of years now. I don't get why people even respond do it.  :-??  :-??

I think he actually is Mike Glennon.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs