News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Is DeVito’s success a fluke or sustainable?

Started by Ed Vette, December 14, 2023, 11:24:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74

Quote from: coggs on December 17, 2023, 04:07:09 PMyou are not being serious with this, are you?  Washington and New England are horrendous and the Giants still needed to hold on at the end. The Green Bay game he had 2 drives where he actually looked like he belongs in the NFL.  He was missing receivers all over the place.

You don't need to explain it to me, but thanks. My answer was tongue in cheek. I thought you might pick that up.

brownelvis54

Quote from: BluesCruz on December 14, 2023, 03:00:12 PMHes no fluke
He has in his words "been playing this game for a long time"

His field vision, pocket mobility, leadership skills, accuracy, ball placement are all world class

If he runs the table and keeps adding to his "game" he should be and likely will be the starter by October next year.  Jones may get a few starts but we all know how that goes.

OR The Giants find a willing trade partner for Jones

Behind a great Oline and with aa dynamic RB and WRs Jones should do pretty well- thats not us
Also the trade partner needs to be a veteran team as Jones is not very dynamic personality wise.  No one is going to run through a brick wall for Dan Jones.  For Tommy they bend over backwards.

DeVito has a confidence that is rare. Telling Barkley after the fumble - "Dont worry we have got this" was classic and inspiring.  Next time Barkey trips he should roll onto his shoulder in the air to prevent landing on the ball.  Was a weird play

:hmm:
The KING is in the building

coggs

Quote from: BluesCruz on December 14, 2023, 03:00:12 PMHes no fluke
He has in his words "been playing this game for a long time"

His field vision, pocket mobility, leadership skills, accuracy, ball placement are all world class

If he runs the table and keeps adding to his "game" he should be and likely will be the starter by October next year.  Jones may get a few starts but we all know how that goes.

OR The Giants find a willing trade partner for Jones

Behind a great Oline and with aa dynamic RB and WRs Jones should do pretty well- thats not us
Also the trade partner needs to be a veteran team as Jones is not very dynamic personality wise.  No one is going to run through a brick wall for Dan Jones.  For Tommy they bend over backwards.

DeVito has a confidence that is rare. Telling Barkley after the fumble - "Dont worry we have got this" was classic and inspiring.  Next time Barkey trips he should roll onto his shoulder in the air to prevent landing on the ball.  Was a weird play

[teddy kgb voice} You're right.  He is not a fluke.[/teddy kgb voice] Saying it was a fluke would imply he was actually good at some point (by NFL standards).

kartanoman

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on December 17, 2023, 04:05:38 PMI have seen the Giants lose games in New Orleans where our offense still points plenty of points on the board.

Today our offense could not do anything. It was a sorry display. Fewer than 200 total yards. DeVito was certainly a big part of that.

Needless to say our D was very bad too, so it's not just the offense. But even with a solid defensive performance you're not winning many games with an offense that bad.

We need upgrades throughout the offense, especially at the QB position.

To think the Giants actually won a Super Bowl the year they completely got their back ends handed to them by Brees and company in that same building (i.e. 2011). Humor off, I agree and it's never been a place they've played close to well in which dates back to the first time they played there in 1978.

This will go down as a game which should make it very easy for Schoen and Daboll to prioritize their needs heading into the off-season. While some of us will be ultimately disappointed in how they approach it, let's only hope the decisions they do make actually yield a tangible difference when we discuss this 366 days (leap year, you know) from now.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

Just_jimmy

He's neither. He's not good and if the giants think he's the option over drafting someone with genuine prospects, then I'm seriously worried.

This team and franchise will not go anywhere until we get a top QB.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

H-Town G-Fan

Quote from: Just_jimmy on December 17, 2023, 04:22:49 PMHe's neither. He's not good and if the giants think he's the option over drafting someone with genuine prospects, then I'm seriously worried.

This team and franchise will not go anywhere until we get a top QB.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

I don't think there's a serious chance the Giants think DeVito is the solution. At most, he might have proven to them they don't need to seek a backup QB (which is certainly valuable). Even if they draft someone and DeVito somehow outplays that person long-term... it's not the worst outcome.

coggs

Quote from: H-Town G-Fan on December 17, 2023, 05:11:57 PMI don't think there's a serious chance the Giants think DeVito is the solution. At most, he might have proven to them they don't need to seek a backup QB (which is certainly valuable). Even if they draft someone and DeVito somehow outplays that person long-term... it's not the worst outcome.
Not sure I agree with that.  Like it or not, Jones will be here next year due to his contract.  Cutting him would be a $69MM cap hit, $22MM more than keeping him on roster.  However, need a better back-up than DeVito.  With Jones's injury history history, you need insurance. 

H-Town G-Fan

Quote from: coggs on December 17, 2023, 05:17:38 PMNot sure I agree with that.  Like it or not, Jones will be here next year due to his contract.  Cutting him would be a $69MM cap hit, $22MM more than keeping him on roster.  However, need a better back-up than DeVito.  With Jones's injury history history, you need insurance. 

There's no doubt Jones is on the roster next year and the likely starter, and in my estimation serving in that role to an early-selection QB-in-waiting. To clarify, I mean DeVito may have proven worthy of being the backup on a going forward basis (likely to a top QB selection, not Jones). With that in mind, I see next year as another wash meant to facilitate the growth of a young QB. As such, I don't agree they need a better "backup" as this team is not good, being talent deficient across the roster. Investing in a "good" backup (by which I mean a plug and play veteran) is a waste to me, as this team cannot seriously compete with it's primary QB out (it couldn't do it with him in).

DaveBrown74

Quote from: H-Town G-Fan on December 17, 2023, 05:31:20 PMThere's no doubt Jones is on the roster next year and the likely starter, and in my estimation serving in that role to an early-selection QB-in-waiting. To clarify, I mean DeVito may have proven worthy of being the backup on a going forward basis (likely to a top QB selection, not Jones). With that in mind, I see next year as another wash meant to facilitate the growth of a young QB. As such, I don't agree they need a better "backup" as this team is not good, being talent deficient across the roster. Investing in a "good" backup (by which I mean a plug and play veteran) is a waste to me, as this team cannot seriously compete with it's primary QB out (it couldn't do it with him in).
omes down to if they have a rookie QB on the roster they have reasonably high hopes for. If they do, I would agree with you - I doubt they'll go out and bring in another veteran QB when they already have Jones plus DeVito. I don't think they'll want to spend Tyrod type money on another QB when they already have Jones and DeVito there.

If they don't draft a QB though, which they clearly might not, then I could see them looking at the cheap, veteran backup market, mainly for the reasons Coggs said.

They'll have to make a decision about DeVito either way though. I personally don't think he'll clear waivers again in 2024, and I don't see them rostering three QBs under any circumstances.

Jclayton92

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on December 17, 2023, 05:49:11 PMomes down to if they have a rookie QB on the roster they have reasonably high hopes for. If they do, I would agree with you - I doubt they'll go out and bring in another veteran QB when they already have Jones plus DeVito. I don't think they'll want to spend Tyrod type money on another QB when they already have Jones and DeVito there.

If they don't draft a QB though, which they clearly might not, then I could see them looking at the cheap, veteran backup market, mainly for the reasons Coggs said.

They'll have to make a decision about DeVito either way though. I personally don't think he'll clear waivers again in 2024, and I don't see them rostering three QBs under any circumstances.
Maybe they just keep Jones on IR, I'd they draft someone.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Jclayton92 on December 17, 2023, 06:11:33 PMMaybe they just keep Jones on IR, I'd they draft someone.

That's totally possible. The theory that they could have him on the PUP to start the season and then find a way to IR DeVito has been thrown out here. We'll see I guess. For me the first order of business really is whether they're drafting a QB or not. That will answer a lot of questions.

katkavage

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on December 17, 2023, 06:16:32 PMThat's totally possible. The theory that they could have him on the PUP to start the season and then find a way to IR DeVito has been thrown out here. We'll see I guess. For me the first order of business really is whether they're drafting a QB or not. That will answer a lot of questions.
Jones will not be ready to start the season. And if he is he will be a shell of what wasn't much to begin with.

Messiah717

Reality set back in.  Another no show effort in a season full of them.  That's why you don't go crazy over ugly wins over the Patriots.  The Green Bay game was exciting but frankly they're banged up and not very good right now either.

madbadger

Quote from: Jclayton92 on December 17, 2023, 06:11:33 PMMaybe they just keep Jones on IR, I'd they draft someone.

He and his agent would definitely file a grievance with the players union if they were dumb enough to try and IR him for the entire season. There is no get out of jail free card coming to rescue the Giants from that stupid contract.

TDToomer

Quote from: madbadger on December 17, 2023, 07:24:18 PMHe and his agent would definitely file a grievance with the players union if they were dumb enough to try and IR him for the entire season. There is no get out of jail free card coming to rescue the Giants from that stupid contract.

Thank you! I am tired of fans coming up with ridiculous plans to fake injury players to an IR or refuse to active healthy players. Jones will be on the opening day roster period and at worst be PUP to start the season.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs