News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Time to move on from Saquon Barkley?

Started by brownelvis54, December 26, 2023, 02:04:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should the Giants move on from Barkley?

Brooklyn Dave

Quote from: President Rick on December 26, 2023, 04:35:11 PMI like SB, so yes if for 3-4 mil a year for 2-3 years but we MUST have an O LINE and priorities should be addressed with the $$$ available.  If he still wants top end $$$ he'll have to look elsewhere.

3-4 Million a year ? That is a joke . You could be paid more !!!  He would never , ever accept that figure .

Look what happened to the Panthers when they traded McCafferty

kartanoman

Quote from: Brooklyn Dave on December 27, 2023, 10:08:45 AM3-4 Million a year ? That is a joke . You could be paid more !!!  He would never , ever accept that figure .

Look what happened to the Panthers when they traded McCafferty

This is precisely what he'll do. What would you think if Dallas, Philly or Washington pay the man? If I were him, I'd be picking my chops twice a year when NYG comes up next on the schedule.

We'll see, but my thought process is you have someone on the roster who will at least replace his production. Or, you are going to acquire a free agent who will do so. Rookie talents can be hit or miss. Note we haven't seen #20 since he started fumbling the ball.

All that being said, Barkley's asking price is likely going to push him out of New York. I don't think he owes the team anything for his contributions or vice-versa. He's been a stellar athlete and a model leader and will continue to be one wherever he goes.

Schoen will have his work cut out for him either way in finding a back for Daboll's offense. We'll have to see what that looks like going forward.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

BluesCruz

Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

Doc16LT56

Quote from: uconnjack8 on December 27, 2023, 10:05:50 AMWe are talking about replacing the only plus skill player on the offense.  If it's so easy, why has this offense been terrible as long as it has?  Are the professionals missing this easy solution somehow?

What would you do specifically to not only replace those yards, but improve the offense, that doesn't include Barkley?

Point is you have to replace him and add to the equation OL, WRs and  QB. 

So who are you drafting amd signing? 

Personally I think gaining yardage in this offense being the only legit threat is extremely difficult compared to say being a cog in the Dolphins offense that has multiple weapons.
Barkley is only relevant as a franchise player for this franchise BECAUSE they are so bad on offense. The argument that he is a valuable weapon is different and in my opinion more valid than the argument that his production is irreplaceable.

We have 6 years of evidence with Barkley as the centerpiece of the offense to show it hasn't worked out. He isn't getting any better and can't be considered the centerpiece any longer. He's a complimentary player. He should be paid like a complimentary player, and play a complimentary role. If the goal is for him to account for around 30% of the offense then I think we're looking at another year ranked in the 30s in offense.

Jclayton92

Quote from: BluesCruz on December 27, 2023, 12:50:48 PMhes an avg back with average stats
That might be a compliment coming from the guy that thinks Brightwell is the next Barry Sanders.

uconnjack8

Quote from: Doc16LT56 on December 27, 2023, 01:50:26 PMBarkley is only relevant as a franchise player for this franchise BECAUSE they are so bad on offense. The argument that he is a valuable weapon is different and in my opinion more valid than the argument that his production is irreplaceable.

We have 6 years of evidence with Barkley as the centerpiece of the offense to show it hasn't worked out. He isn't getting any better and can't be considered the centerpiece any longer. He's a complimentary player. He should be paid like a complimentary player, and play a complimentary role. If the goal is for him to account for around 30% of the offense then I think we're looking at another year ranked in the 30s in offense.

Who is saying the goal should be to have him as 30% of the offense? Or that he is irreplaceable?

Jclayton92

Quote from: uconnjack8 on December 27, 2023, 02:48:21 PMWho is saying the goal should be to have him as 30% of the offense? Or that he is irreplaceable?
I honestly believe he's 30% of the offense because the staff doesn't have a Qb to throw the ball.

I've never seen a team run more on 2nd and 8+ than the Giants do currently.

uconnjack8

Quote from: Jclayton92 on December 27, 2023, 03:07:50 PMI honestly believe he's 30% of the offense because the staff doesn't have a Qb to throw the ball.

I've never seen a team run more on 2nd and 8+ than the Giants do currently.

I agree, they are close to running an 80's college offense at points.

BluesCruz

Think about Joe Morris, Tiki Barber, Bradshaw

Does Barkley belong in this group

ABSOLUTELY NOT
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

Jclayton92

Quote from: BluesCruz on December 27, 2023, 04:23:49 PMThink about Joe Morris, Tiki Barber, Bradshaw

Does Barkley belong in this group

ABSOLUTELY NOT
It's not an apples to apples comparison and you knew that before you even typed that.

A) They style of football has changed completely
B) All 3 of those Rbs had really good Qbs to compliment them.
C) They also had significantly better lines than Barkley has had.

Barkley would have won the rushing title every season with the lines Bradshaw had.

Context matter.

DaveBrown74

Barkley was an elite RB talent coming into the league. I don't think any less than that. The season he had in 2018 as a rookie was nothing short of spectacular.

2019 was great too apart from missing a few games with a high ankle sprain and then coming back from that injury clearly less than 100% and needing a few games to regain his elite form. The last handful of games in 2019, once he was fully healthy again, were awesome.

In 2020 he had the ACL in week two, so that was that for that year.

In 2021 he clearly hadn't fully recovered, and he played poorly for pretty much the whole season. He wasn't even as good as Davonte Booker was for us that year.

In 2022 he was substantially better than 2021 but visibly less than what he was in 2018 and the good parts of 2019. You could see it with your eyes, and it is visible in the numbers. He was definitely very good, but he wasn't that same explosive, electric, special player that he was in those first two years.

This year he has been ok, but not as good as even last year. Plus he had another lower body injury this year.

Unfortunately, the trend arrow is pointing down right now, and the 27/28 threshold is usually the beginning of the end for RBs, even ones who have less of an injury history than he does.

Investing significant capital in him after this season just doesn't make any sense to me. While he was no doubt once special, I feel the RB he is today can be easily replicated (and very possibly improved upon) with a day two pick in the draft at a fraction of the cost. To me this isn't even that controversial, though I respect that it is for others here.

Brooklyn Dave

Quote from: BluesCruz on December 27, 2023, 12:50:48 PMhes an avg back with average stats

Forget Stats. When you have a lousy OL and an average QB StAts mean nothing . Plus he brings more to the team 

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Brooklyn Dave on December 27, 2023, 07:00:18 PMForget Stats. When you have a lousy OL and an average QB StAts mean nothing . Plus he brings more to the team 

The line sucked royally in 2018 too, and he was elite that year. Same with 2019. Our line has been awful for ages.

We can pretend he hasn't declined materially as a player and blame everyone else if we want to, but we'll be in denial if we do.

Doc16LT56

Quote from: uconnjack8 on December 27, 2023, 02:48:21 PMWho is saying the goal should be to have him as 30% of the offense? Or that he is irreplaceable?
You seemed to be arguing that his 27% share of the 31st ranked offense would be difficult to replace. I don't think those yards will be that difficult to replace, I don't think the offense can get much worse without Barkley, and I think it's much more likely to improve if the money Barkley likely will want is spent on other players. My apologies if I misunderstood your point about the urgency of 27% of the 31st ranked offense.

Doc16LT56

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on December 27, 2023, 07:20:54 PMThe line sucked royally in 2018 too, and he was elite that year. Same with 2019. Our line has been awful for ages.

We can pretend he hasn't declined materially as a player and blame everyone else if we want to, but we'll be in denial if we do.
Barkley is visibly slower than he was as a rookie. We all see it.