News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Can Tommy DeVito be a solid backup QB?

Started by MightyGiants, December 28, 2023, 09:06:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TDToomer

The best argument for Cutlets is that he has been asked to do way more than most any team has asked for an undrafted rookie. Can he improve? Of course he can. Can he be a #2 QB for some team? I think he can but needs to beat out another #2 in training camp.

I only wish Mara had allowed McAdoo to let Davis Webb get this great opportunity that DeVito has been given back in 2017. But Francesa, the media and fans with pitchforks blew that plan up.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

Jclayton92

If Tyrod is the bar for a backup Qb and he is one of the better ones. Then no Devito is not currently backup material at this moment.

Ed Vette

Quote from: TDToomer on December 28, 2023, 01:53:46 PMThe best argument for Cutlets is that he has been asked to do way more than most any team has asked for an undrafted rookie. Can he improve? Of course he can. Can he be a #2 QB for some team? I think he can but needs to beat out another #2 in training camp.

I only wish Mara had allowed McAdoo to let Davis Webb get this great opportunity that DeVito has been given back in 2017. But Francesa, the media and fans with pitchforks blew that plan up.
I have wondered how many highly touted QB's have been woefully unprepared to start in the NFL to the point where teams give up on them and they bounce around often never reaching their potential. 
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

BluesCruz

I would have loved to see Davis Webb have gotten a real shot like Tommy did.

He was a very smart QB and threw a very catchable ball
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

TDToomer

Quote from: Jclayton92 on December 28, 2023, 01:58:26 PMIf Tyrod is the bar for a backup Qb and he is one of the better ones. Then no Devito is not currently backup material at this moment.

Do you know how many passes Taylor threw as a rookie? 1. How many he threw his first 4 seasons? 17! So that bar took a while to be set. In other words you don't need to be a 12 year 34 year old vet to be a backup.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

Ed Vette

Quote from: BluesCruz on December 28, 2023, 04:18:45 PMI would have loved to see Davis Webb have gotten a real shot like Tommy did.

He was a very smart QB and threw a very catchable ball
A man's gotta know his limitations...
Dirty Harry

And he did and retired. He could have been the PS backup and taken over for TT, and Tommy would never have been in the league. He'd be an assistant plumber working with his dad, which is where he will be next year if he doesn't get his priorities straight.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Jclayton92

Quote from: TDToomer on December 28, 2023, 04:35:57 PMDo you know how many passes Taylor threw as a rookie? 1. How many he threw his first 4 seasons? 17! So that bar took a while to be set. In other words you don't need to be a 12 year 34 year old vet to be a backup.
He threw 18 his first and 199 in his 1st 4 years. I didn't say he had to be an ancient Qb to be good, simply that if Taylor is considered a really good backup currently then by those same standards Devito isn't. Doesn't mean he won't be but right now he is not good enough to be QB 2 on any team.

TDToomer

Quote from: Ed Vette on December 28, 2023, 04:36:56 PMA man's gotta know his limitations...
Dirty Harry

And he did and retired. He could have been the PS backup and taken over for TT, and Tommy would never have been in the league. He'd be an assistant plumber working with his dad, which is where he will be next year if he doesn't get his priorities straight.

DeVito? Come on? What is with this narrative that these NFL players would be ditch diggers without football? DeVito has a college degree with post graduate studies. Even if they become realtors or Insurance agents it's still a career path. Nothing against being a plumber. Many of them do very well for themselves and have solid careers. But why assume they are destined for a non-college career path?

Ed Vette

Quote from: TDToomer on December 28, 2023, 04:57:54 PMDeVito? Come on? What is with this narrative that these NFL players would be ditch diggers without football? DeVito has a college degree with post graduate studies. Even if they become realtors or Insurance agents it's still a career path. Nothing against being a plumber. Many of them do very well for themselves and have solid careers. But why assume they are destined for a non-college career path?
I wasn't disparaging the plumbing industry. His father owns a huge company and he'd be foolish not to get involved in the family business. It's just not football.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

TDToomer

Quote from: Ed Vette on December 28, 2023, 05:00:50 PMI wasn't disparaging the plumbing industry. His father owns a huge company and he'd be foolish not to get involved in the family business. It's just not football.

I get that but it seems like every since it was found that Kurt Warner was so down on his luck after college that he was bagging groceries there are football fans who assume none of them can hold down a job that requires an advanced degree. For instance Chase Blackburn was a teacher when the Giants gave him a call to try out after he went unsigned one season.

TONKA56

Quote from: Ed Vette on December 28, 2023, 01:39:12 PMNope, DJ had 24 TD's his rookie season and a 5.2 TD % compared to DT's 4.5%.The Eagles were on their way to shellacking TD in an embarrassing loss. He surely would have lost the last two games. He can't stand in the pocket and deliver a pass because he's too short so he's forced to the sidelines. He can't hit Jalin Hyatt deep because he needs to set up perfectly to throw a deep pass. He missed several open receivers this past game because he holds the ball too long just like Jones. He's more agile in the Pocket but he's slow-footed compared to Jones who had 1900 yards rushing and 13 Touchdowns to add to his passing TD's.

TD hasn't proven anything other than he was a flash in the pan with a gimmick, while spending a lot of time cashing in on his 15 minutes of fame instead of preparing for the Eagles. Contrary to DJ who is the first one in and the last one out of the building and the farthest thing from an attention whore. While Daniel Jones has impeccable character.

I like my fellow Paisan but he needs to put in a lot more work and a lot more time before he can be considered a starter in this league, let alone a Backup. I'm not saying he can't do it. I'm saying he's proven to be a work in progress.

And this Ed, is why you get your balls broken by knowledgeable Members of this Group who care about the integrity of the site and the quality of the content. Love the enthusiasm, lose the baseless hype. 

If Waller catches that ball and takes it for a score do you think we're still having this conversation?

bighitterdalama

Quote from: Ed Vette on December 28, 2023, 04:36:56 PMA man's gotta know his limitations...
Dirty Harry

Also, Ed, a fair point with the Webb/Devito comparison. Davis Webb was a third-round pick (#87 overall). Devito was a UDFA that nobody wanted. Brought in by the Giants pretty much as camp fodder, he was cut at the 53 man cut down, received no interest elsewhere across the league, and was thus signed to the Giants' practice squad. In other words, the expectations for Devito were so low as to make his quarterbacking a three-game win streak appear much more impressive than it actually was. His was a nice story but, in the end, TD Tommy was a novelty act that ran its course. My observation is that he has enough talent to develop into a solid back up quarterback, but not a full-time starter.

BluesCruz

Quote from: Jclayton92 on December 28, 2023, 01:58:26 PMIf Tyrod is the bar for a backup Qb and he is one of the better ones. Then no Devito is not currently backup material at this moment.

Except when its crunch time.  For a Vet, Tyrod really gets bone headed in the final 2 minutes.  Which is perplexing for such an experienced guy

Torus34

Mr. Thomas DeVito, viewed dispassionately, is a work in progress. Thus far we've seen him breathe life into a moribund team and win some games against mediocre opposition.

We've no real grasp of what would obtain were he given a front five that can maintain a pocket for 5 seconds, several more games-worth of experience under his jersey, and a play-caller imbued with a deep knowledge of his strengths and weaknesses.

Go flag free, Big Blue!

BluesCruz

Dirty Harry

Actually Ed, Tommy is the only one of the 3 with the possibility of a long term NFL future

TT is too old and injury prone (and cannot process the final minute of a game)
Jones has regressed so badly I'm afraid he cannot be salvaged

Is Tommy perfect- No but he is quite capable and mentally strong

My fear is he switches locker rooms at MetLife and wins a SB with the green team