News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Is it possible to fire Daboll and hire Bellichek?

Started by Fletch, January 11, 2024, 11:06:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Fletch on January 11, 2024, 03:29:36 PMSo who is going to build a roster with like no first round picks for years with the exception of Mack Jones with the 15th overral pick (which admittedly is not a good QB).

You think Shoen and Mara who decided to sign Daniel Jones for 160 mil are going to do it? You think Bill B. would have Shappard on this roster still in 2023? Little Bill would have cut him 5 years ago.

What do you mean by no first round picks for years? How many years in the last decade did he have zero first round picks? I think the only time was 2016, which was due to the deflategate scandal which occurred under his watch. What other year in the last decade did he not have a first round pick?

Fletch

AZGiantFan

Quote from: Fletch on January 11, 2024, 03:07:06 PMSo this guy has not picked in the first round and/or picked 31st in the first round for going back to 2018 and, it is his fault his roster sucks?

Who traded away the picks?
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Fletch on January 11, 2024, 03:51:32 PM2020 THEY DIDN'T. tHEY ALSO PICK LIKE 31

They did in 2020. They traded down. They did that in other years too. Those were all Belichick's decisions.

Topshelf21

He'll get hired on somewhere as he moves toward overtaking Don Shula's record. I'm ok with that, just as long as it isn't here or anywhere else in the NFC east.

He's a workaholic who knows nothing else.

His best days are behind him, however, he brings value to an organization and can improve a team/organization that needs a turnaround.

The question is: is the juice worth the squeeze?

He is someone who needs absolute authority and control. Will an owner be ok with Bill being who he is in exchange for the results desired with a team looking to improve or receive results that Belichick has had previously?

Fletch

So in '18 and '19 they won the afc east with a good record and picked late.

In 2020 they didn't have a first round pick.

In '21 they picked 15 and picked Mack Jones.

That doesn't sound like a very promising roster build after losing a QB they he developed from sixth round pick.

You're joking if you think our biker slob coach can hold a candle to this guy. The dude pulled some smoke and mirrors that no one in the nfl had seen before his first few weeks in the league. That and some luck found early success. Since then this guy is basically shurmur 2.0

jgrangers2

Quote from: Fletch on January 11, 2024, 05:07:23 PMSo in '18 and '19 they won the afc east with a good record and picked late.

In 2020 they didn't have a first round pick.

In '21 they picked 15 and picked Mack Jones.

That doesn't sound like a very promising roster build after losing a QB they he developed from sixth round pick.

You're joking if you think our biker slob coach can hold a candle to this guy. The dude pulled some smoke and mirrors that no one in the nfl had seen before his first few weeks in the league. That and some luck found early success. Since then this guy is basically shurmur 2.0

It's almost like having such low first round picks didn't matter because he had a HoF QB. It's no coincidence that the Patriots are 29-38 since Brady left. Belichick is in complete control of the roster. Any deficiencies directly fall on him.

Fletch

Your argumen
Quote from: jgrangers2 on January 11, 2024, 05:24:38 PMIt's almost like having such low first round picks didn't matter because he had a HoF QB. It's no coincidence that the Patriots are 29-38 since Brady left. Belichick is in complete control of the roster. Any deficiencies directly fall on him.

Your argument assumes all drafts are equal. Some years the talent is just not there. Remember when everyone and even to this day lament holding on to Eli and not drafting who Darnold ? It would've been an unmitigated disaster

jgrangers2

Quote from: Fletch on January 11, 2024, 05:30:42 PMYour argument assumes all drafts are equal. Some years the talent is just not there. Remember when everyone and even to this day lament holding on to Eli and not drafting who Darnold ? It would've been an unmitigated disaster

If he isn't winning because he hasn't had an opportunity to get another generational QB then what's the point of bringing him in here?

StompYouOT

There's out new DC. If Daboll flounders then turn it over to Bill. Fitting ending.

I would be on board with him taking over the defense but don't see him being an assistant to Daboll. Fun to think about though

Painter

Quote from: Jclayton92 on January 11, 2024, 02:27:41 PMWhat a horrible take.

An out of touch coach that just finished worse than us, and hasn't drafted well in 6 years.

Out of touch would seem to describe a lot folks around here, Jess.

And for what it's worth, between 2005 and 2012, Tom Brady by choice took less than top dollar and was only the NFL's 7th highest paid QB whereas thereafter through 2019, he never ranked in double-digits. While that may have had little impact on the Pat's Drafts, it sure didn't hurt their ability to sign targeted FAs or re-sign /keep their own top talent.

In any case, it all Pat's history, and Little Bill might do well to follow suit.

Cheers!

y_so_blu

kingm56

Quote from: jgrangers2 on January 11, 2024, 06:45:32 PMIf he isn't winning because he hasn't had an opportunity to get another generational QB then what's the point of bringing him in here?

You'll never get an answer to that very logical question, which I've been asking for 3+ years. It amazes me how many fans continue to overvalue coaching, as it relates to winning, especially championships. While coaching does matter, it pales in comparison to talent.  The latter can win without the former, but it's clear the former is completely dependent on the latter.  I have seen more acknowledgment of that sentiment this year though. 

Lil Bill is a great HC; however, like every modern day coach, you cannot consistently challenge for SBs without a prolific passer. BB is now 83-104 without Tom Brady; moreover, the fact NE took a nose dive after Brady's departure dampens BB legacy. This is especially true when you factor Brady won a SB with perennial average-to-below-average team, without Bill.

The notion he's going to come here and tangibly alter our trajectory is directly refuted by the facts. We will remain in our current state until we draft/acquire a plus-NFL passer.  Sean Payton and Mike Tomlin agree with this statement.

GordonGekko80

Quote from: BluesCruz on January 11, 2024, 11:22:56 AMSign him up as HC
Fire Daboll

Rare opportunity to restore the franchise quickly

Send jones to New England as compensation

I think he would come as our D is strong
And O surging

BC, every post I see from you is against Daboll. It even looks as though every coach would be better than Daboll, no matter what.
I really don't understand where this comes from.
I understand the frustration on an dismal season, but think about it logically;

Quote from: Philosophers on January 11, 2024, 02:02:46 PMIf he could not restore the Pats, what makes you think he can do the Giants?

Exactly. that.

Fletch

Quote from: kingm56 on January 12, 2024, 01:42:19 AMYou'll never get an answer to that very logical question, which I've been asking for 3+ years. It amazes me how many fans continue to overvalue coaching, as it relates to winning, especially championships. While coaching does matter, it pales in comparison to talent.  The latter can win without the former, but it's clear the former is completely dependent on the latter.  I have seen more acknowledgment of that sentiment this year though. 

Lil Bill is a great HC; however, like every modern day coach, you cannot consistently challenge for SBs without a prolific passer. BB is now 83-104 without Tom Brady; moreover, the fact NE took a nose dive after Brady's departure dampens BB legacy. This is especially true when you factor Brady won a SB with perennial average-to-below-average team, without Bill.

The notion he's going to come here and tangibly alter our trajectory is directly refuted by the facts. We will remain in our current state until we draft/acquire a plus-NFL passer.  Sean Payton and Mike Tomlin agree with this statement.

Not sure fans are over valuing coaching as much as you seem to be undervaluing it.

Bill said himself players win games. But the idea that we can just draft a great QB and coaching doesn't matter is a flawed one.

So it's just a coincidence that Trevor Lawrence started hitting his stride when he got a decent coach?

So Justin Herbert isn't really a prolific passer? He is but his coach stinks.

And the fact that Daboll is supposedly a head coach and stuck with Faniel Jones instead of drafting a QB or bringing in someone besides Tyrod — who is easily the best QB on the team; the fact he didn't bench Jones speaks volumes. This is still Maras team or he's a crumby coach. Either way not a good look.

I'll ask again you think bill bellicheck would tolerate orders from Mara ?