News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Which QB traits are most important to you

Started by MightyGiants, January 26, 2024, 12:51:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

With the Giants in the QB market, I have been reading scouting reports on QBs.  The reality is there is no perfect quarterback prospect; it often comes down to what one values in a quarterback.   With that being the case, what do you consider the most important traits in a quarterback prospect?

Being a successful NFL quarterback requires a unique combination of physical, mental, and emotional attributes. Here are some of the key traits:

Arm Strength/Arm talent: The ability to make all the throws on the field is crucial. This includes deep passes, tight-window throws, and passes with velocity.

Accuracy: Precision in throwing is critical. This means putting the ball where only the receiver can get it, and consistently hitting targets in stride.

Decision Making/Processing speed: A quarterback must quickly assess the defense, understand his offensive scheme, and make the right decisions in a matter of seconds.

Reading Defenses: Understanding defensive alignments and strategies is key to anticipating what the defense will do after the snap.

Mobility and Pocket Presence: The ability to move well in the pocket to avoid pressure, extend plays, and sometimes gain yards with their legs is increasingly important.

Leadership: Quarterbacks are often the leaders of their teams. They need to command respect, motivate teammates, and maintain composure in high-pressure situations.

Work Ethic and Preparation: Studying game film, learning the playbook, and preparing for various game situations are vital parts of being an NFL quarterback.

Resilience and Mental Toughness: The ability to bounce back from mistakes, endure physical hits, and handle the pressure of high-stakes situations is essential.

Situational Awareness: Understanding the context of the game, like down, distance, score, and time remaining, to make smart plays.

Communication Skills: Effectively communicating with coaches, teammates, and executing the play call in a loud, high-pressure environment.

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Rich: Do you mean "With the Giants POTENTIALLY in the QB market" or are you assuming since they pick very high in the first round they are obligated to be in the QB market?

Right now, they have three guys capable of delivering the ball to open men, if only: (1) they could get open; AND (2) they could have enough time to throw; AND (3) they could regularly run the ball successfully.

None of those things are happening, so I sincerely believe management is in the same quandary as the rest of us in trying to answer the question "do we draft a QB at all (let alone in the first round?).

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

brownelvis54

The KING is in the building

Stringer Bell

The most important QB characteristic is not on your list - poise.

While accuracy, decision making, and leadership are crucial for a successful QB, it's poise that separates the great from the good / average / bad.

How does a QB respond to pressure - pass rush pressure, game situation pressure, playoff pressure, etc.? Because their ability to remain poised affects all of those other critical traits. A poised QB is more accurate, makes better decisions, and is a more credible and effective leader.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Bob In PA on January 26, 2024, 12:59:59 PMRich: Do you mean "With the Giants POTENTIALLY in the QB market" or are you assuming since they pick very high in the first round they are obligated to be in the QB market?

Right now, they have three guys capable of delivering the ball to open men, if only: (1) they could get open; AND (2) they could have enough time to throw; AND (3) they could regularly run the ball successfully.

None of those things are happening, so I sincerely believe management is in the same quandary as the rest of us in trying to answer the question "do we draft a QB at all (let alone in the first round?).

Bob

Bob,

At one of his recent press conferences, Joe Schoen made it clear the Giants were in the market for a quarterback as they only have Devito and the injured Daniel Jones on the roster.  He was careful to say that he could go to the veteran market or the draft market, but either way the Giants are in the QB market.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Quote from: Stringer Bell on January 26, 2024, 01:04:37 PMThe most important QB characteristic is not on your list - poise.

While accuracy, decision making, and leadership are crucial for a successful QB, it's poise that separates the great from the good / average / bad.

How does a QB respond to pressure - pass rush pressure, game situation pressure, playoff pressure, etc.? Because their ability to remain poised affects all of those other critical traits. A poised QB is more accurate, makes better decisions, and is a more credible and effective leader.

I think poise would fall under-  Resilience and Mental Toughness:
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

londonblue

For me big thing that separates the best from the rest at QB is anticipation, ball placement and 'catchability' under pressure.

This highlights the problem I have answering the question as the ability to do this requires a mix of decision making, reading defences, arm, accuracy, mobility, awareness, preparation (recognition) and mental toughness.

Trying to isolate into one attribute is not helpful. I guess Stringer might say this combination is approximated by "poise" but as it requires physical as well as mental attributes it feels like even that is an imperfect shorthand.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

ralphpal1

I think also.not being scared to fail...
Meaning sometimes you just have to throw it up
This not throwing an interception is good but when a QB is actually scared to throw on
That just means checkdown after checkdown
If i was a coach i would make sure my qb would throw an intercption every 2 games so he never has to worry about that
The only thing he would have to worry about is when to throw that interception so it doesnt come back.to bit the team.in the butt

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 26, 2024, 01:20:25 PMBob,

At one of his recent press conferences, Joe Schoen made it clear the Giants were in the market for a quarterback as they only have Devito and the injured Daniel Jones on the roster.  He was careful to say that he could go to the veteran market or the draft market, but either way the Giants are in the QB market.

Rich: I remember, but that doesn't mean he'd consider using his 1st-round pick on a QB, except as I already said (if the "right QB" falls to the him - assuming there IS such a guy - it would be foolish to pass him up). Bob

MightyGiants

Quote from: Bob In PA on January 26, 2024, 02:15:27 PMRich: I remember, but that doesn't mean he'd consider using his 1st-round pick on a QB, except as I already said (if the "right QB" falls to the him - assuming there IS such a guy - it would be foolish to pass him up). Bob

Bob,

Regardless if the QB is round one or later or a free agent, we will still consider traits as we evaluate the acquisition.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 26, 2024, 02:16:44 PMBob,

Regardless if the QB is round one or later or a free agent, we will still consider traits as we evaluate the acquisition.

Rich: OK, then, my number one is accuracy. That trait wins good games and keeps the team in bad games. Bob
Quote from: Stringer Bell on January 26, 2024, 01:04:37 PMThe most important QB characteristic is not on your list - poise.

Stringer: Since you mentioned it, poise is my number 1 for corner backs.

Guys who panic while the ball's in the air are IMO second-rate.

If you're anywhere near the guy you're covering, the odds are very high that if you just play it cool you will get a chance to break up the pass. Just get ready to hit his hands/arms as soon as the ball arrives.

Bob

files58

A more athletic Eli. A QB that has wheels in addition to Eli's guts to make a difficult throw, resilience, ability to read a defense, POISE under pressure.

T200

Regular season Peyton + Post-season Eli
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

andrew_nyGiants

Mentally strong
Intelligent
Vocal leader
Can make all the throws
Pocket awareness
Winner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

shadowspinner0

QuoteAccuracy: Precision in throwing is critical. This means putting the ball where only the receiver can get it, and consistently hitting targets in stride.

Decision Making/Processing speed: A quarterback must quickly assess the defense, understand his offensive scheme, and make the right decisions in a matter of seconds.

Reading Defenses: Understanding defensive alignments and strategies is key to anticipating what the defense will do after the snap.

Leadership: Quarterbacks are often the leaders of their teams. They need to command respect, motivate teammates, and maintain composure in high-pressure situations.

Work Ethic and Preparation: Studying game film, learning the playbook, and preparing for various game situations are vital parts of being an NFL quarterback.

Situational Awareness: Understanding the context of the game, like down, distance, score, and time remaining, to make smart plays.

Ideally I'd like a mobile QB but if a pocket passer QB had all these traits, I'd be okay with him.