News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Can we get the best player available @ 6 AND still get a QB? I think so.

Started by brownelvis54, January 27, 2024, 11:09:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brownelvis54

Ok....please hear me out.

What do we have roster wise? And I mean the whole team. What do we have? The answer is not much. Holes everywhere. But what if we use our 6th overall pick to get the best player available and still get a QB, that could be a boom or bust with little risk? Sounds good? Yeah, to me too....

Here is how the draft (as of right now) will probably play out:

1. CHICAGO BEARS (VIA CAR): QB CALEB WILLIAMS, USC

2. WASHINGTON COMMANDERS: QB DRAKE MAYE, NORTH CAROLINA

3. NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS: QB JAYDEN DANIELS, LSU

4. ARIZONA CARDINALS: WR MARVIN HARRISON JR., OHIO STATE

5. LOS ANGELES CHARGERS: WR MALIK NABERS, LSU

There it is.... all the "best QBs and WR's" gone.

To me the Giants have two options (and one of them is NOT reaching for a QB) the remaining QBs are Penix, Nix and McCarthy, none worth the 6th overall and add to the fact we are on the hook with Jones and Devito for 2024. The only options are select Rome Odunze or one of the top O-linemen.

The 2nd option (and my choice) is to trade our pick with a team desperate for a QB. Hello Denver or Minnesota (it is said they are in love with Penix), we could also see if Atlanta wants our pick, but rumor has Kirk Cousens going there. If this happens, we will get more picks and at 8,11, or 12 we still would get a very good player.

There are a few Giant sites and people I follow...Maddog ,Bobby Skinner, Patricia Traina and Fireside Giants.

Fireside Giants had a podcast recently and their guest was a former NFL scout for the Jets, yes, the Jets (I can hear it now) Anyways the "scout" Daniel Kelly, breaks down the top three QBs in this upcoming draft, it's very interesting to me. Regardless to how you feel about it, it really doesnt matter, because when we pick the top three will most likely be gone, unless we trade up.

For those of you that don't have time to listen.... I will summarize the video

He thinks Williams will be a bust (me too)

He has concerns over Maye (stats down)

Jaylen Daniels he seems to like but points out positives and negatives. Basically, not a sure thing.

Spoiler Alert: He likes.....Spencer Rattler. And it got me thinking. Yes, why not? IMO he would be an instant upgrade over Devito, he can sit most, if not the entire year (like green bay dose their QBs) and it would allow the Giants to build the roster without burning a high pick on a QB and let Brian Daboll mentor a young CAP friendly QB.

SPENCER RATTLER SCOUTING REPORT: STRENGTHS

Has excellent overall arm strength you would expect a consensus five-star prospect

Is excellent when on the move and has the arm talent to make throws most college-level QBs wouldn't even attempt

Despite being viewed as a mobile quarterback Rattler is skilled as a pocket passer and has a nice feel for pressure

Sprays the ball anywhere on the field, especially when given a pocket from which to deliver. Will step up into pocket while looking downfield, reset his feet and deliver.

Just to name a few

SCOUTING REPORT: WEAKNESSES

At 6-1 and roughly 215 pounds, Rattler doesn't fit the traditional QB mold. Durability concerns loom

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Spencer-Rattler-QB-Oklahoma

The KING is in the building

brownelvis54

A Conversation With A Former NFL Scout Who Has Spencer Rattler As QB1 In The 2024 Draft Class

A former NFL scout who worked under several Pro Football Hall of Famers believes former South Carolina football star Spencer Rattler has the 'it' factor.

"What's in his eyes is what separates him. He has fire and ice in his eyes that I love. Rattler has the biggest 'chip on his shoulder.' I value the 'chip'. It fuels talent. It's been told to me by a former NFL college scouting director that's what drove former NFL QB Tom Brady. As an evaluator, "want" is the single most important characteristic to look for in prospects. Point blank ⎯ Rattler wants to win more than the others."

AND

"I don't like to speak for people in the NFL. Sure, it's possible, but Rattler is the dark horse of the group, and in fairness, he's a difficult evaluation. [From article linked at beginning] Scouts and front-office people will have to be able to identify the traits he has demonstrated on game film over a sustained period that translates to what's been proven to succeed for QBs in the NFL while considering the lack of comparable talent around him."

https://www.si.com/college/southcarolina/football/former-nfl-scout-dishes-on-why-he-has-spencer-rattler-as-qb1-for-2024-nfl-draft

brownelvis54

It was a few years ago, but he was considered a for sure top 5 at one point. He had a better record and has the tools. And under the right coach, perhaps he could be a steal?

GloryDays

Since we still have DJ and have committed a big salary to him, the best route imo is to build the offense around him and take a chance on a promising QB prospect that is not that highly rated, so it does not require investing one of our top picks.
My pick for an under rated QB prospect is Tulane's Michael Pratt

https://youtu.be/cSo9aP0pzsc

gregf

I agree the top 3 QBs will be gone at 6.  Neal impacts my decision.  Does the new o line coach committ to him at tackle or consider moving him to guard?  If the coach wants him at tackle, take the WR.   If a move is coming, take the tackle     
     I'd be ok with taking a qb in rd 2 if a good prospect is available.  Yet, all the draft guess-work means we have to sign a decent QB FA to a 1 or 2 year deal as well